• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Pit FFL - ALL HAIL REDWING AND HIS JIVE TURKEYS

WEEK 5 REVIEW
giphy.gif

The Davis Division played fantasy football in Week 5 and as we hit the first round of bye weeks, the league as a whole is really starting to take its shape. Let's take a look at how things happened for our Davis teams this week:

WEEK 5 STATS​
jSuhUeB.png
xgap8Hm.png

WEEK 5 MATCHUPS
SD3 78.92–78.04 Mrs. I/O
As the immortal Gus Johnson once said, "HEART. BREAK. CITY." Trailing by less than 4 points entering Monday Night Football, Mrs. I/O had the unfortunate experience of being given the lead at kickoff with the Colts DST, then having to hope they could hold on against a surging Baltimore offense. And considering the matchup, Mrs. I/O had to have been extremely pleased. With 12 minutes remaining, the Colts had taken a 25-9 lead, forcing Baltimore to abandon their running attack and air out the ball to get back in the game. Unfortunately for Mrs. I/O, that's where it all went wrong. A quick TD drive for Baltimore was followed up with a blocked FG, giving Baltimore the chance to tie the game with a touchdown and 2-point conversion, and with just seconds left on the clock, Baltimore made it happen, forcing overtime. Mrs. I/O still had a chance to hold on if the Colts could drive down and win in OT, keeping Baltimore under the 28 point threshold where negative points start coming in, but Mrs. I/O's luck continued to run bad as Baltimore won the coin toss and drove down to score the game-winning touchdown, both for themselves and for SD3. A devastating loss, the only one in the Davis Division in Week 5, and one that cut Mrs. I/O's playoff odds in half. I've seen some brutal fantasy losses and I've had my fair share where I wanted to rip my hair out, but this is way up there. My sincerest condolences, Mrs. I/O.

Young Buck 101.62–96.76 Barça
"You come at the king, you best not miss," and Young Buck did not miss in Week 5, taking down previously undefeated Barça in a high-scoring, topsy turvy affair. In pretty much any other week, Young Buck's performance would be considered pretty middling. Only one non-QB offensive player outperformed their projections and the Buccaneers DST had an alright day against Miami. But Justin Herbert, man oh man. A 42.82 point performance more than made up for the average week his teammates had, and it was enough to stave off some huge WR performances for Barça and grab a victory to propel Young Buck to the top of the Davis Division. Though his division lead is merely a points tiebreaker of only 33 points, ending the week at the top of your division feels good no matter the margin, and with two divisional games still to come, the head to head tiebreakers are still there to be won. But Young Buck will hope that Justin Herbert can continue to perform like the best QB in the league and give him the chance to put together a few wins to hopefully make tiebreakers irrelevant in the Davis Division race.

Jive Turkeys 77.94–70.74 Edarem
Another tough matchup for a Davis Division team saw Edarem take on redwing's Jive Turkeys, but unlike his Davis Division brethren Young Buck, a phenomenal QB performance was unable to make up for deficiencies with the rest of his team. Thursday's news that Chris Carson would be unavailable for the Seahawks' TNF matchup against the rams mean that Edarem was scrambling a bit for RB production, and unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong backup RB. While Elijah Mitchell did a decent job to get some points on the board, Edarem will be wondering "what if" as AJ Dillon got a touchdown and put up enough points that it would have made the difference between a win and a loss for Edarem. It's a tough loss as redwing and the Turkeys were gettable this week and the loss puts Edarem down a game in the division with a head to head loss against Young Buck, though his head to head win against Pickle will at least be a consolation this season. But making up two games on Young Buck while still being the lowest scoring team on the season leaves it all to do for Edarem. Hopefully he will not look back on Week 5 as the one that got away.

Oblong Pickle 98.4–95.72 Lazy-Eyed Psychos
Another close game for a Davis Division member, but Oblong Pickle found himself on the right side of the matchup, taking down Sleepy's Lazy-Eyed Psychos. A trio of great performances led the way for Pickle and gave him enough cushion to hold off a late Sunday push from Sleepy. Every game is a big game as the margins in fantasy football are so small, but for Pickle in particular, each week feels like a must-win. Pickle is in a unique spot in that he is tied for the division lead on record, but has an abysmal tiebreaker situation as both of his losses are to divisional rivals. And with his matchup against division leader Young Buck not until Week 14, Pickle has maybe the clearest but most treacherous playoff patch in the league. I imagine that Pickle will be hoping that he doesn't go up against many more 90+ point opponents on a weekly basis, but for at least one week his team gave him the performances he needed to stay ahead of the pace in the playoff race.

FAMILY CORNER
Carolina WacDarnolds 94.52–67.42 Mr. I/O
Another Family Corner appearance, another disastrous performance and loss for Mr. I/O who had to watch Saquon Barkley randomly step on the foot of a Dallas Cowboy and exit the game in first quarter, leaving him short of production and behind the 8 ball immediately. And though the rest of his team did what they could, there was little hope for Mr. I/O as Ph's WacDarnolds performed extremely well to lock up the victory on Sunday, allowing Hollywood Brown to put the cherry on top of Ph's best week of the season. Though Mr. I/O was able to get his first win of the season last week in an important divisional game, it looks more and more like that matchup being an anomaly and not the beginning of a resurrection, and with two consecutive games against teams with winning records coming up, it's possible it gets worse before it gets better. If it gets better. Tough week for the I/Os.

GOONER'S GALLANT GUESSES
Another 4-6 week drops my overall season record to 28-22, couple of really close matchups cost me. But we are staying afloat, that's all I want.

M6KwoNo.png

Congrats to all winners in Week 5, see you on Thursday for the Week 6 preview!

My last two Monday night miracles have been something else. To add on to Gooners write up above, Eckler ran in a TD from the 13 or so last week for me to win by less than a point.

I had my win wrapped up until Herbert exploded toward the end of the 4 pm games on Sunday. And the one week Kyler did nothing, no less.

Hot damn! I won a game! I feel a roll coming on....Ahhh, crap my Falcons are on bye next week.

Last edited:
Week 6 is looking rough for me.

Four players on a bye, two players on the IR, and two more players injured enough to be questionable at best...

5-hour drive back from Hilton Head today with Mrs. I/O was less than fun. 0/5 would not recommend

WEEK 6 PREVIEW
Week 6: Byes, Byes, Byes
giphy.gif

Week 6 has arrived and with it comes the first round of bye weeks across the league. Some big fantasy implications result from the Falcons, Saints, and 49ers taking the week off; no implications whatsoever from any Jets players not playing, though it does mean one less lucky defense this week. This week we take a look at the Taylor Division and the lone remaining undefeated team, Satan's Minions. We will change it up and go in reverse divisional standings order, let's see what they have in store:

EEFCa9V.png

WEEK 4 MATCHUPS​
JManslow (0-5; Proj: 66.9) vs. Lazy-Eyed Psychos (1-4; Proj: 89.3)
The 2021 season has so far been a season to forget for JMan. First round pick Stefon Diggs seems to be the only Buffalo Bill not having a career year, and second round pick George Kittle was nowhere close to meeting his season projections before moving to IR and thus being out for minimum three weeks. In a league at this scale, you can sometimes miss on a top pick but scramble together something that can at least get you into playoff contention. But having your top two picks essentially tank meant that JMan's season was pretty much doomed from the start. And unfortunately for the JMan, Week 6 doesn't appear to provide any chance at salvation. In what is a first time occurrence for my own eyes, Sleepy's team is projected to be better in every single position. And this happens despite JMan not really being hit by the bye week very hard, only losing his ATL DST. As such, JMan's playoff odds have fallen below 1%; while not mathematically impossible just yet, he is 5 games back in his division and down on tiebreaks to much of the league for a wild card spot. It hurts when bad things happen to good people, and JMan is good people in my book. I hope you find some measure of solace in real-life sports this fall because the fake sports are trying to bring you down.

Ghost Surfer (1-4; Proj: 85.3) vs. SD3 (3-2; Proj: 73.9)
Up until last week, Ghost's story was much the same as JMan's, a sad tale that had resulted in a winless season through four weeks. But Ghost finally broke the duck and had a monster Week 5 performance to get his first win of the season and keep his playoff hopes on life support. Any hope Ghost has to stay afloat is thin, but he has to take it week by week and this week is a decent chance to continue his momentum against SD3. Ghost snagged the big waiver wire pickup this week in Devontae Booker, giving him a much needed RB option with ATL RB Mike Davis on bye. Ghost will also hope that he can get more solid production from DEN WR Tim Patrick with Calvin Ridley continuing to be sidelined (though this week is a bye week anyway). Those surprise performers may be enough to start a win streak for Ghost, a necessary element of his playoff push with every week essentially being must-win.

Sidebar: Ghost's first four weeks may be the most consistent start I've ever seen, he had a point spread of 0.94 points (73.1, 72.76, 73.68, 72.74), it's remarkable. He didn't win any games during that stretch so it may have been lost to time. But I won't let that happen, Ghost.

Bern (2-3; Proj: 58.5) vs. Pitt County Pinfish (4-1; Proj: 88.9)
2021 has not been as kind to bern as 2020. Bern is essentially in the exact same spot on the overall scoring chart as he was last season, middle of the top 10, but where bern was leading the league by record last season, this season he's reeling and on the edge of falling out of playoff contention. Back to back losses of under 10 points will sting for anyone, but bern is essentially 12 points away from being 4-1 and guaranteed a playoff spot. The fantasy gods giveth, and the fantasy gods taketh away. And just so that they are clear on their stance, the fantasy gods are takething yet again this week as the very pissed off Pinfish come to town coming off their first loss of the season. Bern is our first real bye week casualty with top 5 WR Deebo Samuel and 2nd-overall DST New Orleans both on bye, while the Pinfish have no such misfortune. All but the TE position favors are watery friend from Pitt County and it'll be an extremely tall mountain to climb for bern to get his season back on track. A third consecutive loss would spell almost certain doom for bern's playoff chances, though three divisional matchups still on the schedule gives him some tiebreak chances that others in his division might not have. A sad time for our reigning regular season champion, hopefully the fantasy gods smile upon you once again.

Fighting Cocks (3-2; Proj: 98) vs. Goon Squad (2-3; Proj: 82)
The hottest team in the Pit League right now are those mighty Fighting Cocks of Appalachia. Three consecutive wins for the Cocks were capped by the highest score of the season so far in Week 5, and with the recent surge he finds himself in pole position for a wild card playoff spot as the 2nd-highest scorer on the season, already nearly 100 points up on his closest 3-2 rivals. And the good times look likely to keep on rolling as he comes up against the Geno Smith-led (gulp) Goon Squad. Josh Allen, Najee Harris, and Mark Andrews all seem to have finally found their mojo after slow starts to the season, and even depth players like Michael Pittman and Brandin Cooks are putting up solid performances that make the Cocks a difficult team to take down. There is no flaccidity here, folks. The Fighting Cocks of Appalachia are on a mission to penetrate the playoff positions and reach the climax of the season.

FAMILY CORNER
Satan's Minions (5-0; Proj: 69.8) vs. Lone Wolf (2-3; Proj: 82.8)
Kind of shoehorning in a Family Corner this week since the Taylor Division has no Pit League Power Couple teams, but it's a spicy matchup nonetheless as undefeated Satan takes on Lone Wolf. After a Knight-in-Sheep caliber dead last performance in 2020, Satan did not mess around in 2021 and is the lone remaining unbeaten team as we enter the bye weeks. Sadly, the ride appears to be reaching its natural conclusion as the first round of bye weeks hit Satan harder than pretty much anyone. Four players on bye week plus two players already ruled out this week mean Satan can't even put a full roster out that will have all players on the field. Luckily for him he has a 2-game cushion in the division and will get much of his bye week misery out of the way early, but it's still never a good feeling to not be able to put a full team out there (ask 2020 DeacHawk). Barring an unforeseen explosion from Pat Mahomes or Mike Williams, or Lone Wolf's team putting in a worst-ever week of fantasy, this matchup is essentially over before it begins. Enjoy your own kind of bye week Satan, it's unfortunate that it will still count toward your record.

GOONER'S GALLANT GUESSES​
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

PUY05Rm.png

Good luck to all in Week 6!

I had a thought and I put it up as a poll question on the league home page on ESPN, but I'll ask it here as well. Would it interest anyone to have the draft order each year semi-weighted based on the previous year's results? Just spitballing ideas to see what sticks, what doesn't, trying to make sure the league stays fun for everyone and people are excited to play.

No. That only makes sense in a keeper league and not a whole lot of sense at that.

One creative idea I've wanted to try is for everyone to pick any players for Week 18 and the teams with the best scores get to choose their draft position for the next season. It allows Week 18 to mean something.

I had a thought and I put it up as a poll question on the league home page on ESPN, but I'll ask it here as well. Would it interest anyone to have the draft order each year semi-weighted based on the previous year's results? Just spitballing ideas to see what sticks, what doesn't, trying to make sure the league stays fun for everyone and people are excited to play.

i'm inclined to say no because it's full re-draft. if we had any keepers at all, even one, i would entertain the idea. just my humble opinion

Keepers in a 20 team league are insane, so there would have to be a serious stipulation like nobody drafted in the first four (six?) rounds is eligible to be kept.

Keepers in a 20 team league are insane, so there would have to be a serious stipulation like nobody drafted in the first four (six?) rounds is eligible to be kept.

Yeah I was just spitballing in my head. Maybe someone acquired in a very high round or waiver wire? Like real diamonds in the rough. For example, I got Tee Higgins off the waiver wire right after our draft last year.

I like trying new things - keeps it fresh especially in a 20 team league where life is on the razor.

How about a Vampire?? That would be one helluva a hill to climb!

Bye, bye, bye, Ghost is back!

This is what the Pit Fantasy League is all about, bringing people together

Tyler Lockett - 1 catch for 14yds
DeeJay Dallas - 3 rushes for 21yds, 4 catches for 23yds, plus kick returns.

I hate this game, pending OT results.

Lamar Jackson or Derek Carr on the block for talent that can help me win a damn game!

Back