• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Pit FFL - ALL HAIL REDWING AND HIS JIVE TURKEYS

I totally didn’t pay attention to BYE weeks…..I have 4 in Week 13, 3 in Weeks 7 and 10 and 2 in Week 11

That was a fun exercise. I welcome anyone and everyone to hold my words against me throughout the season.

Well done.

I wanted to get 3 RBs who weren’t in a timeshare. I think I would have been in better shape if I had just reached to get a QB or TE in the 4th. I don’t really need JuJu, Hollywood, and DeVonta to do well. I should need one of them to do well.

WEEK 1 PREVIEW
New Season, New Beginnings

giphy.gif

Good morning fellow Pit League members and welcome to Opening Day of the 2021 NFL season! The offseason has been long and filled with horse dewormer, so I think I speak for everyone when I say that I'm extremely glad to be back in business. A new season brings hope to all; everyone is excited to draft new players and see how they stack up against their fellow owners, dreaming of the playoffs and to be crowned champion over all who stand before them. These heady days are a fun experience for all, but starting tonight those dreams begin their transition into reality. I am excited to go on this journey with all of you this fall, may the best owner win!

In the interest of maintaining sanity and also streamlining the process of weekly previews and recaps, I am going to try to stick to a structure each week where I preview a few interesting matchups, give out a set roster of weekly awards, and provide a bit of commentary on the side. I will do my best to make sure everyone is featured at various points in the season, but it is inevitable that some may feature more than others. I apologize ahead of time for that occurring. I will also be using the team names being used on ESPN moving forward and leaving behind the old monikers from Yahoo for those that have changed.

With that disclaimer behind us, let's take a look at a few of our top Week 1 matchups!

WEEK 1 MATCHUPS
JAMESSOKOLOVE EDAREM (Proj: 82.6) vs. Oblong Pickle (Proj: 81.6)
Our defending champion kicks off his title defense with a tough matchup against Oblong Pickle. Edarem's draft saw him waiting until pick #20 to get a player, but even this relative handicap should not faze him as he looks to start his season with a win. But do not let Pickle's 17th place finish last season lull you into thinking this should be a warmup game for Edarem. A 12th place overall points finish and a positive all-play record demonstrates the misfortune Pickle had in 2020, and consecutive 5th place finishes (Pit League 2 2018, Pit League 1 2019) shows that Pickle is not an owner to be taken lightly. Early projections have Edarem with a slight advantage, but it's really a dead heat. With fairly even projections across the board, the matchup I'm most intrigued in will be the TE matchup of Gerald Everett and Blake Jarwin. Both players are nominally the TE1 for their respective franchises, but whichever one can actually get in the run of play and be more involved in the offense could end up deciding who wins this matchup.

Bern (Proj: 88.5) vs. Ghost Surfer (Proj: 78.6)
Last season's regular season champion, Bern hopes he can navigate the field week-to-week with the same level of success as he did in 2020 and he appears to be giving himself the best possible chance to start off on the right foot as he has the highest projected point total entering Week 1. A balanced draft that found value throughout the twelve rounds, Bern has put his best foot forward and will look to take advantage of a fortuitous Week 1 matchup against Ghost Surfer (née Disco Kid). Entering Tuesday's draft, Ghost Surfer was looking to improve on his strategy of not scoring points last year, and early projections suggest that he has achieved that goal. Unfortunately, Ghost Surfer is suffering early uncertainty surrounding his starting TE as Evan Engram is questionable for Sunday's game against Denver, and Ghost only has New Orleans' Adam Trautman as a backup option. It's not a comfortable position to be in, especially going up against an early favorite like Bern; how Ghost navigates this early-season adversity could set the tone for the rest of his season.

Barça (Proj: 88.0) vs. Carolina WacDarnolds (Proj: 79.0)
Draft lottery winner and last year's bronze medalist Barça starts off with the Carolina WacDarnolds (née Ph) and looks a big favorite to capitalize on having the top overall draft pick. Barça selected hometown hero Christian McCaffrey with that first overall selection and thus started a draft that went heavy on potential breakout players in high-flying offenses. This is a stark contrast to the WacDarnolds who took an alternate strategy, loading up on RB1s and looking to pound the ball up the middle to grind out victories. Only time will tell which strategy will ultimately bear fruit, but ESPN has chosen its preferred strategy as Barça has the largest projected margin of victory between two wholly healthy squads. The WacDarnolds will be hoping that their franchise rebrand and an exciting rookie QB will give them the spark to overcome these projections and get him a victory much earlier than last season (first win Week 6).

FAMILY CORNER​
I/O Deac (Proj: 79.3) vs. Lazy-Eyed Psychos (Proj: 82.8)
This year I am going to do a weekly matchup preview for one of our four owners who make up the two Pit League Power Couples (working title) called "Family Corner". I find each couples' dual participation adorable and commendable; finding fun things to do with your significant other in a healthy, competitive environment should be encouraged (redwing, GM has an open invitation to this league, I'll kick myself out if needed). This week, the random spinner selected Mr. I/O Deac and his matchup against the Lazy-Eyed Psychos (née Sleepy), my pick for team name of the year.

Both I/O and Sleepy will be hoping for better luck this season after both narrowly missed out on the playoffs, I/O by points tiebreaker and Sleepy by a devastating 1.76 point Week 13 loss when a win would have seen him seeded 4th overall. Sleepy and the Psychos (great band name, IMO) have an early projected advantage over I/O, with the TE and QB positions in particular giving him a bit of cushion. The QB matchup in particular brings great intrigue as former Alabama teammates Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa are both trying to prove themselves as QBs to build a franchise around entering their second year in the league. Whichever of these QBs can hit the ground running may ultimately decide which of Sleepy or I/O starts their season with a win, and can also prove to their own franchises that they can be trusted to be the guy in 2021 and beyond.

GOONER'S GALLANT GUESSES

I am also going to run a weekly segment this season where I predict the winners of each week's matchups and give you all even more material to hold against me at the end of the year. I'll keep a running tally of my results in the Pit League spreadsheet that can be found on the first post of this thread. If anyone would also like to take part, feel free to PM me or post your guesses here in the thread, I can keep a running tally for anyone else as well.

Gooner vs. Lone Wolf: Gooner
JManslow vs. Peach: JManslow
YoungBuck vs. Mrs. I/O: YoungBuck
Jive Turkeys vs. DeacHawk: DeacHawk
Satan's Minions vs. Fighting Cocks: Fighting Cocks
Edarem vs. Oblong Pickle: Edarem
Bernstorf vs. Ghost Surfer: Bernstorf
Lazy-Eyed Psychos vs. I/O Deac: Psychos
Barça vs. Carolina WacDarnolds: Barça
SD3 vs. Pitt County Pinfish: Pinfish

Good luck to everyone in Week 1, may your players stay healthy and score many touchdowns!

Last edited:
I imagine Satan regrets not starting Gronk

TIDE PODS!

I take small solace in that at least Gronk won't be starting against me. The first coaching blunder of the year is definitely on me, though.

I hate that Gooner ruined the league by giving return yardage points to the D/ST as well as the individual player.

I hate that Gooner ruined the league by giving return yardage points to the D/ST as well as the individual player.

This wasn’t intended, if that’s how it’s working it was an oversight. I can fix this moving forward and correct stats to reflect the change if everyone wants that to happen.

This wasn’t intended, if that’s how it’s working it was an oversight. I can fix this moving forward and correct stats to reflect the change if everyone wants that to happen.

Quote to add/clarify: return yards for the individual player is intended, I didn’t realize that when I set that up, it also set it up for the DST as well

I'm obviously just joking. Unless I lose because of it... then I'm very serious.

DST should get return TDs not yardage, correct?

Are you all getting any alerts from ESPN Fantasy? I got an injury alert from Yahoo but nothing from ESPN.

After taking a cursory look through the detailed box scores as of this morning, it is unlikely that return yards counting for DSTs (or subsequent stat correction to remove the points) will impact the result of any Week 1 matchup. If the majority is OK with it, I will update the scoring settings to remove the double counting of return yards from DSTs and leave it just with individual players. I will go back through Week 1 after the MNF game this evening to correct the official scores.

If anyone objects, please make your opinion known so we can have the discussion. I will also send out a league-wide email from the ESPN site to let any of our less frequent board attendees know about the issue.

Option 1 seems like a no brainer. Honest mistake that is easily fixable. Thanks Gooner!

After taking a cursory look through the detailed box scores as of this morning, it is unlikely that return yards counting for DSTs (or subsequent stat correction to remove the points) will impact the result of any Week 1 matchup. If the majority is OK with it, I will update the scoring settings to remove the double counting of return yards from DSTs and leave it just with individual players. I will go back through Week 1 after the MNF game this evening to correct the official scores.

If anyone objects, please make your opinion known so we can have the discussion. I will also send out a league-wide email from the ESPN site to let any of our less frequent board attendees know about the issue.

fine with me
what's not fine with me is that i was correct on my teams level of sucktitude.

Back