• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jazz-Hawks - John Collins returns to Atlanta

Not a good look for Alondes.

Damn Alondes. Wonder what his thought process involved selecting that shirt for his first meeting with GS...

Damn Alondes. Wonder what his thought process involved selecting that shirt for his first meeting with GS...

Alondes marches to the beat of his own drum, but he has to make better decisions than that. He isn't a surefire pick, IMO. Needs to make a good impression moving forward.

He probably just threw on a shirt without thinking much about it. I wonder the extent to which some people (I guess particularly younger people) see Pablo Escobar as a character or persona rather than a real person who was very dangerous.

Last edited:
You’d think they’d have some… combine sherpas or something. Isn’t his agent telling him what to expect and how to handle it?

You’d think they’d have some… combine sherpas or something. Isn’t his agent telling him what to expect and how to handle it?

You'd think.

Alondes marches to the beat of his own drum, but he has to make better decisions than that. He isn't a surefire pick, IMO. Needs to make a good impression moving forward.

I watched the post-NC State game media press conference, with all the "seniors" at the podium, and Alondes was cutting up, laughing at inappropriate times and talking/whispering while others were talking - reminded me of a lot of 1st and 2nd graders I have worked with, and some HS students, and some college kids I've mentored etc.

Sort of immature, maybe a lot immature.

I assume we have a staff person who coaches student athletes on "here is how you behave in these situations...situation A..." but maybe not.

I watched the post-NC State game media press conference, with all the "seniors" at the podium, and Alondes was cutting up, laughing at inappropriate times and talking/whispering while others were talking - reminded me of a lot of 1st and 2nd graders I have worked with, and some HS students, and some college kids I've mentored etc.

Sort of immature, maybe a lot immature.

I assume we have a staff person who coaches student athletes on "here is how you behave in these situations...situation A..." but maybe not.

I can't give this post neg-rep again, so here's a public "fuck off." It was senior day and the guys were pumped.

Absolutely. Where is Alondes' agent? Last thing a potential 2nd round pick needs is any controversy. There are more players grasping for NBA chance then there are draft slots. Why give a team an easy reason to winnow their pool of targets?

Absolutely. Where is Alondes' agent? Last thing a potential 2nd round pick needs is any controversy. There are more players grasping for NBA chance then there are draft slots. Why give a team an easy reason to winnow their pool of targets?

This is on Alondes' agent. I had to have my PhD advisor in the third year of my program at 28 years old tell me "birdman, you really should consider a more professional wardrobe when we go to the Wildlife Society meeting next month. There will be potential future employers and collaborators there and wearing flip flops, ripped jeans and a Sebadoh t-shirt may not give off the best impression..."

LaRavia got his own section of Hollinger and Vecenie's Combine review in The Athletic:
https://theathletic.com/3328595/2022/05/23/nba-draft-combine-analysis/

[h=3]LaRavia Madness[/h] The draft community buzzed with speculation following Jake LaRavia’s choice to not play five-on-five action, wondering if the Wake Forest forward had a promise following a strong first day at the combine. He measured out at 6-foot-8, he tested well athletically for what was expected, and he was one of the best players to participate in the shooting drills. He also posted one of the best scores in the lane-agility drill, a surprising result for a player whose main concern for teams revolves around his ability to defend guards out on the perimeter when in switches.
Ultimately, LaRavia pulled out of the rest of the events simply because he and his agency are comfortable with his general range, not because he already has a specific destination. The goal was to show that he could shoot and that he was more athletic than expected, and that mission was accomplished by the time Wednesday night rolled around. LaRavia should be expected to hear his name called somewhere in the top 35 on draft night and has a very good chance starting at pick No. 20. Size, shooting and elite feel for the game are a tough combination to find, and a lot of contenders have real interest in him within those final 10 picks of the first round.

This is on Alondes' agent. I had to have my PhD advisor in the third year of my program at 28 years old tell me "birdman, you really should consider a more professional wardrobe when we go to the Wildlife Society meeting next month. There will be potential future employers and collaborators there and wearing flip flops, ripped jeans and a Sebadoh t-shirt may not give off the best impression..."

Exactly. If I was Forbes, then I would give his agent a mouthful after a story like that comes out... Does it matter? Probably not. Should it happen? Definitely not.

Not great for Alondes but get real… NBA teams draft guys all the damn time who have arrest records,sketchy details from college, or just plain malcontents. They main thing they care about is if you can play and if you can they will overlook all kinds of shit 1000 times worse than wearing a poor choice for a t shirt.
Rock on Alondes, you be you .

Not great for Alondes but get real… NBA teams draft guys all the damn time who have arrest records,sketchy details from college, or just plain malcontents. They main thing they care about is if you can play and if you can they will overlook all kinds of shit 1000 times worse than wearing a poor choice for a t shirt.
Rock on Alondes, you be you .

The Warriors don’t really go for stupid shit, and they are a very steady franchise. Simple stuff like that could eliminate him from ever being considered by that franchise and there are only 30 of them. The Warriors have to be considered a top-5 run organization, and most of the other top franchises run things in a similar fashion which is why they are top franchises.

Alondes’ projected ceiling is career role player. He cannot afford to do dumb things. If he was a projected lottery guy, he can wear and do and say just about anything.

I think alondes needs the right franchise to help him get the most out of his talent at the next level. He needs to improve his decision making. I think Forbes helped connect with him and he made a leap. A bad franchise could permanently damage his career.

The Warriors have the 51st and 57th picks so that would be a nice potential fallback.

You mean the All-ACC Academic award wasn’t believable to employers either? I’m shocked.

Back