• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia with 89 points in last three games of the season

I can't give this post neg-rep again, so here's a public "fuck off." It was senior day and the guys were pumped.

LOL - just recognizing this now.

I found Williams to be surprisingly immature at a press conference. And Forbes essentially called out his decision making with the back-to-back unnecessary dunk attempts, calling them "out of character" - since he had turf toe/was injured - which cost us at least 1 crucial end of season win.

Seems worthy of your response.

I hope the dude becomes an All-Star by the way - pulling for him and Jake of course.

Wake Forest guard Alondes Williams wore a shirt with Pablo Escobar on it into an interview with the Golden State Warriors. That raised eyebrows in the room.

A Warriors official asked Williams if he was going to let the Escobar shirt represent him since it was the team’s first time meeting him and how it reflects on him. He had no answer.

“They was like, if somebody asked you that again, just say ‘I’m a killer on the floor or something like that,'” Williams said. “OK, that’s a good one.”

https://theathletic.com/3326340/2022/05/23/2022-nba-draft-combine/

That is a naive and pretty poor wardrobe choice on his part. Like what's the message a team might take away, you're ok with cocaine use? And if it was some sort of political statement, it isn't a clear one by any means. Saw someone else here liken Escobar to Che. I get that he tried to foster this Robinhood image, but the public perception of Escobar is more an Al Capone vibe.

I've spent many months in Colombia over the last 20 years including a lot of time in some of the rougher parts of Bogota. And seven weeks ago my family and I spent about 15 minutes alone with Escobar's older brother, Roberto, while we were in Medellin (long story). He's been involved in some really shady stuff since he left the cartel, so not necessarily someone who you can be sure you are reading right or who is truthful. We got the distinct impression in talking to him that he wanted out of the cartel early on but that Pablo would have had him shot had he tried to leave (plata o plomo even with your older bro). There are definitely people in Colombia who take advantage of Pablo's image commercially (Roberto is definitely one of them). But the significant majority of people in that country in my experience are ashamed of him. A lot changed after he blew up a commercial airliner full of common citizens to off one guy.

I think it's funny that the tone of that article wasn't even that critical of ManMan; if anything, it shows how ludicrous the teams' behaviors are and the piece is littered with odd stories of these guys' interactions. I thought it was hilarious, and he probably/maybe should have chosen a different shirt, but whatever. These teams and their questions are crazy. Of course some folks just immediately jump in as if he walked into some corporate interview with it on, and push their elitist bullshit, which is no shock in this place, I guess, sadly. We don't even know the circumstances of the meeting. ManMan is going to be ManMan and I think that's great. Fuck'em up ManMan.

Like, is the response of the Warriors dude any better? Tell them that it signifies you are a killer on the court? Whole thing is a joke.

Maybe it was the sad Pablo Escobar from Narcos meme on his shirt? Who knows?

pablo.jpg

Yeah considering that Steve Kerr's dad was assassinated by terrorists, wearing a shirt with a narcoterrorist's picture on it probably isn't the best look. With that said, this is a non-story. I'd be shocked if it has any bearing on ManMan's draft outcomes.

The response from the Warriors staffer is even weirder IMO.

Wearing an El Chapo t-shirt to my meeting this afternoon.

That is a naive and pretty poor wardrobe choice on his part. Like what's the message a team might take away, you're ok with cocaine use? And if it was some sort of political statement, it isn't a clear one by any means. Saw someone else here liken Escobar to Che. I get that he tried to foster this Robinhood image, but the public perception of Escobar is more an Al Capone vibe.

I've spent many months in Colombia over the last 20 years including a lot of time in some of the rougher parts of Bogota. And seven weeks ago my family and I spent about 15 minutes alone with Escobar's older brother, Roberto, while we were in Medellin (long story). He's been involved in some really shady stuff since he left the cartel, so not necessarily someone who you can be sure you are reading right or who is truthful. We got the distinct impression in talking to him that he wanted out of the cartel early on but that Pablo would have had him shot had he tried to leave (plata o plomo even with your older bro). There are definitely people in Colombia who take advantage of Pablo's image commercially (Roberto is definitely one of them). But the significant majority of people in that country in my experience are ashamed of him. A lot changed after he blew up a commercial airliner full of common citizens to off one guy.

Yes. Escobar had a bomb placed on a Boeing 727. 101 passengers. 6 crew members. All dead. Not that it matters, but the target didn't end up taking that flight.

Escobar is/was the epitome of evil. OK, maybe in death, he has gained the false reputation of a bad-ass outlaw, but that is so wrong. The bottom line is that Pablo Escobar murdered hundreds of innocent people just trying to live their lives. He did it for no reason, and there was no larger cause other than a greed and to grab power via terror. The comparison to Che Guevara is baffling.

Last edited:
I think the fact that we have an alum who is a hanger on to the sports programs and is posting racist garbage on message boards is a bigger deal than Alondes' t shirt

What exactly do you do for a living? I resisted the temptation to post a Helen-from-Ozark gif.

I think it's funny that the tone of that article wasn't even that critical of ManMan; if anything, it shows how ludicrous the teams' behaviors are and the piece is littered with odd stories of these guys' interactions. I thought it was hilarious, and he probably/maybe should have chosen a different shirt, but whatever. These teams and their questions are crazy. Of course some folks just immediately jump in as if he walked into some corporate interview with it on, and push their elitist bullshit, which is no shock in this place, I guess, sadly. We don't even know the circumstances of the meeting. ManMan is going to be ManMan and I think that's great. Fuck'em up ManMan.

Like, is the response of the Warriors dude any better? Tell them that it signifies you are a killer on the court? Whole thing is a joke.

yep. from everything i've read / heard, nba front officers are (probably surprisingly for your run of the mill owg) becoming fairly modern / progressive, filled with a lot of fairly recent former players and other people who relate to them.

obviously they care a ton about character, teamwork and culture -- but i'm pretty sure their proxies for that are very different from what some people might think.

What exactly do you do for a living? I resisted the temptation to post a Helen-from-Ozark gif.

Back story is we were on vacation over Spring break and Roberto Escobar now runs a museum (pricey by local standards) in on of his homes that is dedicated to the history of the cartel. It is off the beaten path a bit and none of the local hotels advertise it. But our son read about it, so we found a cabby who knew about it and took us there. Place is up on a hill in the center of the city. And they screened us pretty good when we got there before opening the gate. Presumably that was because Roberto was, unexpectedly, there that morning hanging out. Guy is like 75 years old now. He's also pretty much blind in one eye and needs hearing aids after receiving a letter bomb from (he claims) the Cali cartel. That was after he spent 14 years in prison following his brother's death. He also told us Pablo offed himself before the authorities could assassinate him once they had him cornered. Said he personally knew the coroners in town and they told him that Pablo shot himself before those chasing him put a couple more bullets in him.

"Cabbie, could you take me and my son to the secret cartel museum at the top of the hill?" is either the beginning of a great story or the beginning of the end.

Back story is we were on vacation over Spring break and Roberto Escobar now runs a museum (pricey by local standards) in on of his homes that is dedicated to the history of the cartel. It is off the beaten path a bit and none of the local hotels advertise it. But our son read about it, so we found a cabby who knew about it and took us there. Place is up on a hill in the center of the city. And they screened us pretty good when we got there before opening the gate. Presumably that was because Roberto was, unexpectedly, there that morning hanging out. Guy is like 75 years old now. He's also pretty much blind in one eye and needs hearing aids after receiving a letter bomb from (he claims) the Cali cartel. That was after he spent 14 years in prison following his brother's death. He also told us Pablo offed himself before the authorities could assassinate him once they had him cornered. Said he personally knew the coroners in town and they told him that Pablo shot himself before those chasing him put a couple more bullets in him.

Interesting. I admire your sense of adventure. I definitely remember reading about the house/museum you mention. I think there was a long article on it in the New Yorker a couple of years back and I believe they interviewed the brother you met.

I took my kids out for mini golf and ice cream over spring break. :noidea:

Back