• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jazz-Hawks - John Collins returns to Atlanta

The Athletic profile on what Alondes can do for the Nets.

https://theathletic.com/3373059/2022/06/24/alondes-williams-nba-draft/?source=user_shared_article

He could play with one of his best comps in Bruce Brown and who better to receive his passes than KD.

Hawks continuing to pursue trades for Collins.

https://theathletic.com/3381413/2022/06/24/john-collins-hawks-nba-draft/?source=user_shared_article

“It’s understandable if that upsets some fans. Collins is a talented player capable of putting up 20 and 10 any night. He’s a standup guy and is well liked by teammates. But trading him seems unavoidable for two reasons: 1. Team president Travis Schlenk and owner Tony Ressler have acknowledged they erred by effectively standing pat after the team’s run to the Eastern Conference finals; 2. If the Hawks desire to change their look and acquire a player of value, they have only two on the roster who realistically have that kind of trade value.

One is Young, who’s not going anywhere. The other is Collins, who logically is going somewhere.

Collins has not asked to be traded, but at this point it would be understandable if he would welcome an exit. He has been a walking trade rumor for two years. There were reports Thursday that Atlanta has discussed dealing him to San Antonio for All-Star guard Dejounte Murray, a deal that would give Atlanta an explosive backcourt. Murray has two years left on his contract so that trade could be made at any time, but the Hawks presumably wanted to get through the draft and take time to weigh their options.”

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia (#19 Grizzlies), Alondes Williams (two-way deal Nets)

More chatter.

The San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks have been linked with each other for a potential Dejounte
Murray-John Collins swap this offseason. Apparently, though, there is some other motivation behind it in Murray and the Hawks’ part.

According to Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report in his podcast, Murray and hawks star Trae Young want to play together. It is interesting to note that both players are being represented by Klutch Sports.

https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-rumo...ap-with-hawks-gets-shocking-trae-young-twist/

It would suck if my favorite Deac in the NBA and my favorite player on my favorite team got traded for each other. Trae and Dejounte would be a nice backcourt. Trae would play with a great defender and Dejounte wouldn’t have to carry that scoring load.

Nah. It was a multi-team trade.

The Bucks gave up Bledsoe, George Hill, their recent 1st round pick (RJ Hampton), 2 future firsts, and 2 pick swaps.
The Pels got Steven Adams, Bledsoe, the 2 future first, and 2 pick swaps.

I think a JC for Dejounte trade would be something like JC, Gallo (and his 3/$60M contract), and 2 firsts for Dejounte and one or two guards and a 2nd rounder. Part of the benefit for the Hawks would be getting JC and Gallo off the books. Otherwise, they're going to be a luxury tax team without a sure playoff roster.

Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks seemed pretty confident JC will be traded within the next few days.

Having JC, your favorite Deac in the NBA, get traded to your favorite team "would suck"?

I don't want to see the Spurs drop Murray either, but they have guards galore and could use picks plus front court talent.

Not an NBA observer. What's been the deal with Collins at Atlanta? Is it just that he and Trae are the main deal-able assets and they want to build around Trae? Why have I been hearing Collins trade rumors for so long? Hope there's nothing else going on.

Yes, because it means losing my favorite player from my favorite team (again!). I'm an NBA fan in general, so more Deacs on more teams just gives me more to watch on League Pass every night.

I think a new situation would allow JC to get back to 20/10 form and show more strengths. I'm not happy that my team's highest-paid player will be a PF. I do think JC could pair well with Sochan in the frontcourt which would give the Spurs a viable small ball frontcourt they don't have now.

Also see what I posted on the NBA thread. It's frustrating that the Spurs drafted a 19 year old kid, made him the face of the franchise, developed him into an All-Star only to trade him and put the franchise in the hands of another 19 year old PG (presumably Primo or Wesley).

But if they can get a decent haul for him and maintain cap space, it could work.

Last edited:
Hunter started scoring a lot and raised his game in the playoffs and he is sort of an OG Anunoby 4. So they don't need John Collins.

Yeah. Not sure if I posted it here or on the NBA thread, but the Hawks would be fine starting Hunter and Okongwu in the frontcourt. Trade Capela and Collins for a better backcourt mate for Trae who can score when Trae is off the floor and allow Trae to play off the ball and get a wing who can create his own shot.

Far be it from me to put my confidence in Dukies, but Jalen Johnson could be a viable backup 4 and AJ Griffin should be a great shooter off the bench.

Trae, Dejounte, Huerter (or another wing), Hunter, Okongwu would be a good lineup.

why are the spurs so eager to trade murray?

is he asking out? or are they thinking they can sell high?

Last edited:
why are the spurs so eager to trade murray?

is he asking out? or are they tho king they can sell high?

Pretty sure that's it. I think they're looking at the roster and think they need to do something big and he's the most tradable piece.

unless you’re going to pay luxury tax, I don’t see Collins’ contract working out on a very good team

or I guess in a very specific roster fit, but Atlanta seemed to have that as much as anyone with Trae and Capela

Klutch sports strikes again? Saw a rumor that Trae and Dejaunte want to play together. No idea if it's accurate but they are both with the agency.

unless you’re going to pay luxury tax, I don’t see Collins’ contract working out on a very good team

Right. The Hawks determined that they couldn't truly break through with Collins' contract. So trading a very good PG for Collins doesn't make sense for the Spurs who are trying to break through as well.

I feel like Collins would work on the Mavs but I'm not taking the time to Google their salary table

Seems like Wood and Collins would overlap too much.

Back