• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia with 89 points in last three games of the season

Jake playing vs. the Celtics (3:30 tip)
Chaundee playing vs. the Spurs (4:00 tip)

Alondes plays at 10 vs. T-Wolves

Jake scored 13 points in his first game in SLC Summer League. He had 6 points in his other game. He's scored 10 points total in 4 LV Summer League games including 0 today in 27 minutes. Six other players were in double figures.

He looks behind other wings/bigs on the SL roster (Tillman, Aldama, Roddy, Lofton Jr, Williams). Seems like he'll start out in the G-League.

Last edited:
Chaundee playing vs. the Spurs (4:00 tip)

Alondes plays at 10 vs. T-Wolves

Jake scored 13 points in his first game in SLC Summer League. He had 6 points in his other game. He's scored 10 points total in 4 LV Summer League games including 0 today in 27 minutes. Six other players were in double figures.

He looks behind other wings/bigs on the SL roster (Tillman, Aldama, Roddy, Lofton Jr, Williams). Seems like he'll start out in the G-League.

I don't really follow the NBA. Would it be common for a first round pick to be in the G league?

Grizzlies drafted or signed Lofton and Roddy as well who play the same position as him, basically. Not super surprised he seems to be behind them, tbh. I really liked Lofton at La Tech.

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake vs. Alondes today Summer League at 6:00 pm on ESPNU

I don't really follow the NBA. Would it be common for a first round pick to be in the G league?

Yes for a late 1st round rookie. Last year’s #19 pick Kai Jones played 24 games for the Greensboro Swarm.

The Memphis G-League team is just south of Memphis. If they send him down, most likely he’ll play down there and then come up for home games and sit on the bench and get garbage time until he’s ready.

There’s a lot of competition at PF and they looked good in Summer League. Weird after signing JJJ long term though.

Last edited:
He's scored 10 points total in 4 LV Summer League games including 0 today in 27 minutes. Six other players were in double figures.

Highest paid player in the G-League!

Id be wary of reading too much into summer league play

Sure. But there’s a logjam at his position and the other guys were far more productive while Jake struggled to carve out a role for himself.

Things may change once Jenkins is more directly running the show.

Sure. But there’s a logjam at his position and the other guys were far more productive while Jake struggled to carve out a role for himself.

Things may change once Jenkins is more directly running the show.

I agree with Juice. Summer league is often about giving players they are not too sure about some run to see what they can do. Jake's already contracted as a 1st round draft pick, they aren't really using summer league to test the waters with him and the coaches likely didn't focus on him cause they know what they need to know already. Jake may spent some time in the G league, but I don't think it will be because he underperformed in Summer league. Alondes, on the other hand, probably secured a position starting the season in the G-league. It doesn't sound like he did a whole lot to impress aside from a few exceptional passes. On a 2-way, Alondes would be expected to play a lot in the G anyway, so its not a huge lost opportunity, I guess.

Memphis may have had the deepest roster in the NBA, before this draft (Griz went 21-6 without Ja last year). Then, Memphis had 4 picks in this draft and also signed Kenny Lofton, who may be the steal of the FA crop. Memphis has a savvy front office that is among the best at evaluating players. It's a great sign that Memphis loved LaRavia as Memphis hasn't missed on many player evals of late (the Griz moved up in the draft to get LaRavia). For early PT on the NBA level, it will be hard for Jake or any rookie to get a ton of PT as the Griz are loaded.

LD Williams is sitting right beside the Nets SL head coach. Darius Songalia was a seat or two down from the Spurs SL head coach. I'm not sure if Teague was on the Hawks bench.

From Hollinger yesterday in The Athletic:

#2 under "First-rounders who struggled"

Jake LaRavia, Memphis:
The consensus on draft night was that the Grizzlies reached on David Roddy with the 23rd pick but were more in line with most draft boards when they took LaRavia at No. 19. In Vegas, however, LaRavia struggled while Roddy thrived. Across six summer-league games (the Grizzlies also played in Salt Lake City before coming to Vegas), LaRavia was inert offensively with just 29 points in 148 minutes. He had nine 2-point attempts and only drew two free-throw attempts and posted a pathetic 6.4 rebound rate. While his defensive activity was of less concern (15 “stocks” in six games), the Grizzlies will need him to be a more impactful offensive force … or he’s in danger of being passed by two other rookie fours (Roddy and undrafted two-way Kenneth Lofton Jr.) who fared better in Vegas.

From Hollinger yesterday in The Athletic:

#2 under "First-rounders who struggled"

Jake LaRavia, Memphis:
The consensus on draft night was that the Grizzlies reached on David Roddy with the 23rd pick but were more in line with most draft boards when they took LaRavia at No. 19. In Vegas, however, LaRavia struggled while Roddy thrived. Across six summer-league games (the Grizzlies also played in Salt Lake City before coming to Vegas), LaRavia was inert offensively with just 29 points in 148 minutes. He had nine 2-point attempts and only drew two free-throw attempts and posted a pathetic 6.4 rebound rate. While his defensive activity was of less concern (15 “stocks” in six games), the Grizzlies will need him to be a more impactful offensive force … or he’s in danger of being passed by two other rookie fours (Roddy and undrafted two-way Kenneth Lofton Jr.) who fared better in Vegas.

Pretty harsh. That said, the Summer League is so deceiving. There are countless examples of players killing it in Summer League (Glenn Rice Jr. was the NBA Summer League MVP in 2014, and he played a TOTAL of 5 NBA games and scored a total of 11 points as an NBA player after that) or struggling in the NBA Summer League and then having strong rookie seasons. The one concern about Jake and Memphis is that they are so incredibly deep (and are even deeper after this draft) that it would be easy for any player that doesn't make an early impression to fall way down the depth chart.

This was exemplified by the game in which the Grizz set the SL scoring record in a 120-84 win but Jake only had 2 points on 1-3 fg in 21 min. Over 10% of the minutes, 1.7% of the points, and 3.8% of fg attempts. But he did have 5 reb, 4 asts, 2 stl, and 3 blks.
https://www.nba.com/game/mem-vs-bkn-1522200033/box-score#box-score

He could carve out a niche on the big club as a 5th option who can hit an open jumper and otherwise do everything but score. Ja, Brooks, and Bane should handle plenty of the scoring. Brandon Clarke will be ready for a larger role with JJJ out.

I didn't watch a ton but Jake looked pretty passive when I did watch

but it was almost like he was coached to hang out along the perimeter

who knows -- I'm not worried about

That's definitely what it looked like. Which is fine if he's playing with Ja, Brooks, Bane, and JJJ. It's a little concerning in a starting lineup of all forwards. We'll see.

Back