• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia with 89 points in last three games of the season

I was looking at Teague’s Wake stats the other day and I had forgotten how good he was. Well over 40% from 3 both years (among other things).

he was Naismith frontrunner halfway through that Cleveland State year

Hoard's been enjoying the OKC tank job going 24 pt 24 rb 3ast 3 stl in a win and then followed up with a 23/5/3 line.

Sarr went for 24/6 and 12/10 and double figure points for five straight before being released.

Crazy that wasn’t good enough of a job interview for Sarr. That’s just how good NBA players are.

Got a nice surprise that LaRavia and Williams show up in this article from Spurs site Air Alamo.

8 Controversial Picks Only the Spurs Might Gamble On

https://airalamo.com/posts/8-controversial-draft-picks-only-san-antonio-spurs-might-gamble-on

They think the Spurs could take either at #25. The Jake writeup is particularly glowing.

Why the Spurs May Be Interested
To put it simply, Jake LaRavia is very good at a lot of things. He’s a decent athlete, shoots 38% from three and 78% from the free-throw line, averaged about 3.7 stocks (steals + blocks) per game, makes good reads on passes, and can find good shots with and without the ball in his hands.
There's a lot to love about a 6’9” wing that has such a well-rounded game, and he’ll likely be an immediate contributor wherever he lands. His overall versatility on both ends of the floor strikes me as something that Brian Wright will highly covet coming into draft night.

I'm still surprised at how high Jake is being projected. Really thought we'd finally found that perfect level of player that can be really good in college but not quite good enough to leave early. Seemed like he played so many halves this year where he struggled to create his own shot, didn't have NBA-level lateral quickness, turned it over a little too much when handling the ball... I mean, he'd then put up halves and games of great play where he'd dominate and he was a perfect 2nd option for Manman... It just never felt NBA-like even when he was putting up great numbers.

Pretty frustrating since we obviously need him back, and I don't mean to discount his talent at all. Was just hoping he was a Brogdon-like guy for Forbes.

I'm still surprised at how high Jake is being projected. Really thought we'd finally found that perfect level of player that can be really good in college but not quite good enough to leave early. Seemed like he played so many halves this year where he struggled to create his own shot, didn't have NBA-level lateral quickness, turned it over a little too much when handling the ball... I mean, he'd then put up halves and games of great play where he'd dominate and he was a perfect 2nd option for Manman... It just never felt NBA-like even when he was putting up great numbers.

Pretty frustrating since we obviously need him back, and I don't mean to discount his talent at all. Was just hoping he was a Brogdon-like guy for Forbes.

i think the nba has really shifted where now they are (imo more accurately) valuing versatility, defense and shooting ability (basically, the ability to be a good role player) vs the ability to be a star / shot creator. laravia fits the modern nba really well.

Yeah, must be. Just seems like it's always the elite athletes that haven't fully developed their skillsets yet that get drafted early while the less athletic players who can shoot it and pass it like Jake get passed over and become late picks after graduating. Then again, it also seems like the early guys routinely don't pan out whereas the LaRavia types end up having nice NBA careers.

I do think he'll spend a year or two trying to adapt to NBA defenders though, and really wish he'd just spend one more year at Wake instead... But I can't knock him for taking the money now, it's probably the smart move.

DC, do you watch much NBA?

Maybe I’m drunk at at the Braves game (I am), but Jake should 100% leave. He’s gonna get drafted and another year where he’s “the man” probably isn’t going to help his draft stock. It seems like the NBA folks are impressed with his versatility and potential… Not sure what another year would do to improve that.

Hope I’m wrong, but I think he’s gone.

If I put myself in his shoes, I’d leave. So tough to be mad at him if he makes that decision.

Maybe I’m drunk at at the Braves game (I am), but Jake should 100% leave. He’s gonna get drafted and another year where he’s “the man” probably isn’t going to help his draft stock. It seems like the NBA folks are impressed with his versatility and potential… Not sure what another year would do to improve that.

Hope I’m wrong, but I think he’s gone.

If I put myself in his shoes, I’d leave. So tough to be mad at him if he makes that decision.

I mean, he could solidify his status as a first rounder but he seemingly is doing that as we speak?

really i would guess close to 1/3 of guys are in the jake mold. portis, allen, connaughton, patrick williams, caruso. tbh even lonzo ball isn’t a bad comp given what he’s evolved into.

Grant Williams is a way better defender at this point, but another similar size, skill set, and projected role.

Pro Hoops Deacs - LaRavia, Williams, and Walton Draft Talk

Thad Young is another playoff big in that mold. The Spurs are one of a few teams that don’t have a guy like that since they didn’t use Young and then traded him.

Some other vets are guys like Jae Crowder, Al Horford, Jeff Green, and Otto Porter, Jr.

Last edited:
really i would guess close to 1/3 of guys are in the jake mold. portis, allen, connaughton, patrick williams, caruso. tbh even lonzo ball isn’t a bad comp given what he’s evolved into.

Pat Williams is a good one, too, imo.

I forget what I said last time, but Jake's range strikes me as 25-40 right now, and I could see his stock rise a bit (20-30) if he measures well at the combine. It seems like he'll definitely get an invitation at this point.

Georges Niang is a good example. You watching the Philly series?

Thanks. Have only seen a few minutes of that series. Been watching Hawks, Grizz, Mavs, and Suns mostly.

I remember Niang from college but not well enough to compare to Jake. Niang was 23 when drafted. I would be fine if Jake wanted to follow in his footsteps!

Grant Williams might be 6 ft 6 with his shoes on.

Much stronger than LaRavia.

Niang
Saric
Bertans
Since the Raptors have every forward, maybe one of their guys. Achiuwa?

Back