• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jake LaRavia with 89 points in last three games of the season

Jake's 29 points in 148 minutes are even worse when you consider he scored 10 in the first half of his first game

but yeah, he obviously has time to figure out how to add value

I didn't watch a ton but Jake looked pretty passive when I did watch

but it was almost like he was coached to hang out along the perimeter

who knows -- I'm not worried about

Maybe, but there were long stretches this past year where he was passive offensively for Wake.

But they didn't draft him to be an offensive juggernaut. They drafted him because he's a well-rounded player who seems to be particularly versatile on defense with a capable offensive skill set.

We shall see.

That's true, ELC. Good take.

I didn't watch a ton but Jake looked pretty passive when I did watch

but it was almost like he was coached to hang out along the perimeter

who knows -- I'm not worried about

That could well have been the case. Read about another team who had a two-way contract center who had a traditional post game. Summer league coach asked him to not post up in the paint, but rather work on his perimeter game. First two touches were in the paint, post up three point plays. Maybe Jake follows coaching direction better.

My memory of this is that Tim spent his entire summer league working on his left hand...not confirmed here, but seems relevant to some extent:

Once Upon a Time…Tim Duncan Had the Summer League Blues

b837a0b8-20ad-4208-a5bb-3acdde882a0a_text.gif

Pretty harsh. That said, the Summer League is so deceiving. There are countless examples of players killing it in Summer League (Glenn Rice Jr. was the NBA Summer League MVP in 2014, and he played a TOTAL of 5 NBA games and scored a total of 11 points as an NBA player after that) or struggling in the NBA Summer League and then having strong rookie seasons. The one concern about Jake and Memphis is that they are so incredibly deep (and are even deeper after this draft) that it would be easy for any player that doesn't make an early impression to fall way down the depth chart.

Yeah, I didn't post the link to the article because it is behind a paywall... But Hollinger makes the point that Summer League matters pretty much not at all.

My biggest concern for Jake as an NBA player was his tendency to be passive and disappear at times. I don't think it is a fatal flaw, and I suspect the results would be poor if he just decided to be more aggressive instead of letting the game come to him.

I always thought Jake's ball handling needed a good amount of work. Not insurmountable by any means, and it should come easier than all of the talents he already possesses, but I think once he's able to face up and dribble he won't disappear as much. The best way to slow him down was to play up on him and make him put the ball on the floor without backing you down.

Last edited:
Jake's ball handling showed flashes that helped him get drafted. I think he did too much at times trying to beat other people (sometimes the entire team) but it always struck me as growing pains. Like Forbes said "you've got skills. Use them." He did and we saw the growing pains but Forbes never seemed to reign him in. 19th pick. Interesting.

Romania. Keep safe Dallas and enjoy your time in a location few of us will see in our lifetimes.

So, can he play in the ACC or no?

Congrats Ish! :dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac:

Dearica Hamby and the Las Vegas Aces won the WNBA Championship 3-1 over the Connecticut Sun.

Hamby has been with the Aces since her rookie year when they were still the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Over the last four seasons, Hamby is the two-time WNBA Sixth Player of the Year (2019, 2020) and two-time All-Star (2021, 2022) before winning her first championship.

So are either man man or Jake going to be on the nba 15 man roster? I have no idea I’m just asking and hoping so. The Bally sports app shows that I can watch the grizzlies games? I think?

So are either man man or Jake going to be on the nba 15 man roster? I have no idea I’m just asking and hoping so. The Bally sports app shows that I can watch the grizzlies games? I think?
ManMan is a two-way player, iirc, so he'll probably move back and forth. Jake is a first round pick so he'll be on the roster, but may start in the G-League.

In related news, Mitchell Wilbekin joined the Grizzlies front office this week.

LD Williams is on the Nets coaching staff. Jeff Teague is a scout for the Hawks.

Any other Deacs on NBA benches or front offices?

Back