• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jazz-Hawks - John Collins returns to Atlanta

I never really paid attention to the G-League draft. I saw the Austin Spurs drafted a 32 year old so I checked it out and DuBose was the next pick. The names on there I recognize are older guys who have been out of college for awhile like Seth Allen and Jaylen Johnson or long time vets like Brandon Knight and Lance Stephenson. Seems like a good opportunity. With a full 30 teams, the G-League has a lot of spots. He'll be able to make a lot of connections, get mentored, and be a mentor, and it should set him up for a nice future in the sport, out of the sport, or both.

how does it work vis a vis the NBA affiliate? in baseball, the major league team drafts for the farm system

do, say, the Spurs have first rights to someone on Austin that doesn't have a two-way contract or only those that have signed something with the Spurs directly?

also, no G-League affiliate for Phoenix or Portland -- I wonder why not

Last edited:
Ish getting some love from Defector today

https://defector.com/sometimes-you-just-need-ish-smith/

I’ve been thinking wistfully this week about production off the bench, and one bench producer in particular.

That would be Ish Smith, the 6-foot-tall Hornets backup you have likely seen scurrying past larger and slower players en route to the rim and then, dribble intact, U-turning around the basket to find some incredibly goofy midrange jumper he can take instead. The goofiness, the brazenness, of these shots cannot be overstated, but they do sometimes fall.

how does it work vis a vis the NBA affiliate? in baseball, the major league team drafts for the farm system

do, say, the Spurs have first rights to someone on Austin that doesn't have a two-way contract or only those that have signed something with the Spurs directly?

I don’t have any good answers besides what either of us could Google. I do know the rules about G-League call ups are pretty specific. The Nugs start their G-League franchise this season. Portland put Hoard on another G-League team for one season. One advantage for having a local G-League team is young guys can play 30+ minutes in a G-League game one night and sit on the big squad bench and maybe get a few minutes the next night. Most are a town/city away or in the suburbs.

In his podcast, LD was talking about bragging about his Wake teams to ACC Nets players like Joe Harris and Bruce Brown.

My understanding, and this is only through the LiAngelo saga so may not be completely accurate, is that in addition to the 2-way contracts, each NBA team gets 4 "affiliate" players that nobody else can touch without the primary NBA team having a first right of refusal to sign to the main roster. But for them to be affiliates, they have to have been signed directly by the NBA team and then cut and assigned to the G-league team. If the player does not come in to the G-league through the affiliate or 2-way route, then they have to sign an overall G-league contract and can be drafted by any G-league team, and then ultimately signed by any NBA team from any G-league team. This is where it gets a little murky, but the affiliate NBA team can "call up" players from its own G-league team on a game-to-game basis (or send some of its actual rostered players down for G-league games on a game-to-game basis, the Hornets do this a lot with their drafted/rostered rookies), but if they sign a player from someone else's G-league team then it has to be on at least a 10-day contract. I don't think that happens too often because most of the guys who get called up are either already affiliates or on 2-way deals, or a guy like Jalen Green who isn't going to sign a 10-day because he knows he is going to enter the draft the next time around.

Supposedly not many people have actually seen the G-league Bylaws, including most NBA execs. Hence why the Hornets signed LiAngelo and cut him to assign him to the Swarm as an affiliate player, only to learn that because he had already signed a general G-league contract previously but not been on a team, he had to go through the G-league draft. The Swarm ended up drafting him anyway so I assume, to your original question, that the NBA club can tell the G-league affiliate team what to do.

ETA: when the player comes in through the affiliate route, they get an extra $50,000 bonus that they don't get if they come in straight through the G-league draft. That is an incentive for the player to agree to the sign/cut affiliate procedure that gives the primary club a ROFR on him, even though he knows he is getting cut when he signs.

Last edited:
Lakers signed Chaundee to a two-way contract.

Pro Hoops Deacs - LD Williams, Nets video assistant; Wilbekin and DuBose G-League

Chaundee played for the Lakers yesterday. 15 min, 0-6 fg, 1 reb.

Last edited:
Pro Hoops Deacs - LD Williams, Nets video assistant; Wilbekin and DuBose G-League

….

Al-Farouq Aminu signed a 10-day hardship contract with the Boston Celtics.

Chandee Brownsigned a 10-day hardship contract with the Atlanta Hawks. He'll help replace John Collins who was placed into health and safety protocols.

Chaundee started for the Hawks tonight. He played the entire 1st quarter and has 5 rebounds. Finished with 4 pts, 9 reb, 2 stl on 1-7 fg in 30 minutes. 4th most minutes on the team.

Last edited:
Olivier Sarr signed a two-way contract with OKC a few weeks ago. He's been playing regular minutes. He had 11 pts, 9 reb, 1 stl, 2 blk on Sunday vs. the Jazz.

Jeff Teague took a position with the Hawks as a scout. The Hawks originally drafted Teague out of Wake
https://www.nba.com/hawks/jeff-teague-rejoins-hawks-scout
When asked that same question seven years ago, Teague toed a line that hinted that he loved basketball too much to leave it, even if he preferred a role behind the scenes. "I'll be a coach, but I don't want to be a head coach."

As it turns out, Jeff Teague is back for a third stint with the franchise that drafted him. You heard that right: Jeff Teague is now a scout for the Atlanta Hawks.

Ian DuBose was selected by the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Pacers) with the 40th pick in the G-League Draft.
https://gleague.nba.com/2021-nba-g-league-draft-order/

How much does it say about the pathetic years gone by of Wake Basketball that I actually had to look this guy up to know about him.

Never heard of him.

I don't follow Wake Basketball much anymore besides the occasional check-in with recruiting and a game or two here and there....until this year. I watched a handful or two of games and have been more invested. All because one coach and the change he instilled in his 2nd season.

Looking forward to remembering every Wake player from here on to our eventual National Championship.

DuBose was waived in October and is playing in the Czech league.

I was looking at Teague’s Wake stats the other day and I had forgotten how good he was. Well over 40% from 3 both years (among other things).

Hoard is back on the Thunder. Posted 11 points (5/9 FG, 1/3 3FG), 20 rebounds (!), 3 assists, and 2 blocks in 40 mins as starting power forward.

The league just decided to take tonight off. So many players are sitting. So many nonsense box scores.

Hoard's been enjoying the OKC tank job going 24 pt 24 rb 3ast 3 stl in a win and then followed up with a 23/5/3 line.

Sarr went for 24/6 and 12/10 and double figure points for five straight before being released.

Hoard's been enjoying the OKC tank job going 24 pt 24 rb 3ast 3 stl in a win and then followed up with a 23/5/3 line.

Sarr went for 24/6 and 12/10 and double figure points for five straight before being released.

Damn. 24 and 24. I never thought Hoard came close to hitting his potential* while he was here, which sucks.

*and I mean what his ceiling could have been as a college freshman.

Damn. 24 and 24. I never thought Hoard came close to hitting his potential* while he was here, which sucks.

*and I mean what his ceiling could have been as a college freshman.

the only thing I remember about Jaylen Hoard at WF was Jimmy Dykes calling him out for lack of effort vs. Tennessee.

Back