• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jazz-Hawks - John Collins returns to Atlanta

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Figured we need a thread for people who want to follow Wake basketball alums without following the NBA thread.

Jeff Teague won an NBA Championship as a reserve on the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks were his 5th team. Teague started last season with the Celtics. He's an unrestricted free agent who will likely sign with a new team in the next few days.

Chris Paul helped lead the Suns to the NBA Finals. He signed a 4 year, $120 million deal with the Suns at 36 years old. He's helped lead a league-wide resurgence with several older PGs signing big contracts. CP3 is one of the more recognizable faces of the league. The Suns are his 5th team.

John Collins is staying with the Hawks on a 5 year, $125 million deal with a player option. He turned down a $90 million contract before the season to bet on himself. His numbers when down with the additions of Clint Capela, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Danilo Gallinari, but he also was the clear #2 in the Hawks run to the Eastern Conference Finals.

This baptism of Joel Embiid was one of the big highlights of the playoffs. Before this playoff run and becoming the top free agent on the market, a lot of people didn't realize how good he is. He's one of the most efficient bigs in the league. Over the last two years, he's shot 57% from the field, 40% from three on 3.4 attempts a game, and 82% from the line.

Ish Smith returns home with a 2 year, $9 million deal with the Hornets. The Hornets will be his 12th team in his 12th season. This will put him in a five-way tie with Chucky Brown, Jim Jackson, Tony Massenburg and Joe Smith for most teams played for in the NBA.

Al-Farouq Aminu was traded from the Bulls to the Spurs. The Spurs will be his 7th team. Aminu has struggled with injury over the last few years. He has one more year left on the 3 year, $22M contract he signed originally signed with the Magic.

Aminu joins Spurs assistant coach Darius Songaila in San Antonio. He joined he staff in 2020 after a few years as a player development coach. Songaila is currently an assistant coach for the Spurs summer league team and Randolph Childress is a guest coach.

James Johnson signed a one-year deal with the Nets. The Nets will be his 9th team. Johnson had somewhat of a career resurgence last season as an enforcer with the Mavericks and with the Pelicans as an reliable spot starter when Zion William was injured. Johnson averaged 11.5 pts, 4.5 reb, 2.8 ast on 48% fg and 35% 3pt in 12 starts. He definitely has a good shot at a title next season.

Jaylen Hoard is on a two-way contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder. He finished last season playing for the G-League Oklahoma City Blue.

Feel free to add updates for Deacs who aren't in the NBA including those who are coaching.

Last edited:
CP3 got paid by the Suns, but probably not as much as he gets from State Farm.

Olivier Sarr signed with the Grizzlies for their Summer League team.

Chaundee Brown signed with the Lakers. He had 7 points last night.

It's good to see Randolph return to coaching. Start as a guest that may lead to an opportunity as an assistant with an NBA team. Bzdelick and Manning are better references in the NBA than in the NCAA.

Tim Duncan is a good reference in the Spurs organization.

Chaundee Brown signed with the Lakers. He had 7 points last night.

He was a bit better tonight. That roster is pretty deep in terms of potential end of rotation guys so dude's gotta step it up.

What does a guest coach do in the summer league?

Be the third and fourth assistant coaches I guess.

What does a guest coach do in the summer league?

Performs the role of assistant coach. However, it is someone not affiliated with the team, and is expected to go back to another job at the end of summer league. U of Maine head BB coach was guest coach for Spurs in 2019.

Rough offseason for former Deacs.

The Spurs acquired Al-Farouq Aminu from the Bulls in the Demar DeRozan sign-and-trade. The Spurs cut him today at the roster deadline.

Jeff Teague is a still a free agent after winning a ring with the Bucks.

Jaylen Hoard was cut by the Thunder.

In better news, the Lakers waived Chaundee Brown and he's expected to sign with the G-League South Bay Lakers.

Deacons on opening day NBA rosters:

Chris Paul (Suns)
James Johnson (Nets)
Ish Smith (Hornets)
John Collins (Hawks)

Rough offseason for former Deacs.

The Spurs acquired Al-Farouq Aminu from the Bulls in the Demar DeRozan sign-and-trade. The Spurs cut him today at the roster deadline.

Jeff Teague is a still a free agent after winning a ring with the Bucks.

Jaylen Hoard was cut by the Thunder.

In better news, the Lakers waived Chaundee Brown and he's expected to sign with the G-League South Bay Lakers.

Deacons on opening day NBA rosters:

Chris Paul (Suns)
James Johnson (Nets)
Ish Smith (Hornets)
John Collins (Hawks)

Did Hoard sign with OKC Blue?

Yep. Forgot he was on a two way contract.

I never really paid attention to the G-League draft. I saw the Austin Spurs drafted a 32 year old so I checked it out and DuBose was the next pick. The names on there I recognize are older guys who have been out of college for awhile like Seth Allen and Jaylen Johnson or long time vets like Brandon Knight and Lance Stephenson. Seems like a good opportunity. With a full 30 teams, the G-League has a lot of spots. He'll be able to make a lot of connections, get mentored, and be a mentor, and it should set him up for a nice future in the sport, out of the sport, or both.

I never really paid attention to the G-League draft. I saw the Austin Spurs drafted a 32 year old so I checked it out and DuBose was the next pick. The names on there I recognize are older guys who have been out of college for awhile like Seth Allen and Jaylen Johnson or long time vets like Brandon Knight and Lance Stephenson. Seems like a good opportunity. With a full 30 teams, the G-League has a lot of spots. He'll be able to make a lot of connections, get mentored, and be a mentor, and it should set him up for a nice future in the sport, out of the sport, or both.

well put

L.D. Williams is a video assistant for the Brooklyn Nets. He's reunited with former teammate James Johnson who is playing for the Nets.

Back