• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Hoops Deacs - Jazz-Hawks - John Collins returns to Atlanta

NBA Combine games will be televised tomorrow on ESPNews from 3-5 and ESPN2 from 5-7. Then on Friday 1-2 on ESPN2 and 2-5 on ESPNews.

John Hollinger has Jake #20 on his list of prospects. It's a good read in general about how the league needs more big wings (like Jake) but the draft is top heavy with bigs. Traditional centers are falling out of vogue which may hurt the prospects of a guy like Mark Williams
https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/

20. Jake LaRavia | 6-9 junior | PF | Wake Forest
I originally had LaRavia in my “sleepers” section, but so many people have moved him up their draft boards lately that I feel like I’m not even ahead of the average on him anymore.
LaRavia is a relatively young junior, an unknown who transferred from Indiana State before the season and then blew up for the Demon Deacons. While his teammate Williams won ACC Player of the Year, I’m more encouraged by the pro prospects of LaRavia.
Defensively, in particular, he shows multi-positional potential. He has size and strength but also had the feet to comfortably stay with guards. His strong lower body and good balance help him pester dribblers without overcommitting or getting pushed off stride. He rarely fouls but has active hands that swiped 2.7 steals per 100 possessions and is able to challenge shots without flying into shooters. Few players I saw on tape were more adept at forcing dribblers to beat them with contested 2s. There may be some quickness limitations that show against NBA athletes, but in the ACC, they switched him against everybody and he aced the test.
LaRavia’s shooting will be another topic of discussion, as he hit 38.4 percent this season but on very low volume. Career marks of 37.1 percent from 3 and 74.3 percent from the line should ease some concerns here. LaRavia checks out in other respects, as he’s a good passer and hit 61.6 percent of his shots inside the arc. Nitpickers will also note he’s not a great rebounder.

Last edited:
I wonder what percentage of OGBoards posters have 9% or less body fat. I’m thinking 0.5%

Better question is what percentage had less than 9% body fat when they were 20 years old

Yeah. It's not exactly insulting to tell a bunch of middle aged internet warriors that they have more body fat than Jake LaRavia. When I was his age, I had significantly less than 9%, but I also wasn't 6 foot 8 inches tall or any good at basketball or getting laid.

LaRavia isn’t trying to get drafted ahead of us.

Another Jake mention:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/202...-san-antonio-spurs-get-help-in-the-frontcourt

Round 2, Pick 38:
Jake LaRavia, Forward, Wake Forest: With a True Shooting Percentage of nearly 65% at Wake Forest last season, Jake LaRavia is one of the highest floor prospects in this class. A bonafide role player and immediate contributor from day one, LaRavia has a fascinating blend of size, shooting, playmaking, and defensive versatility that will benefit the Spurs from the moment he enters the gym. LaRavia is an older prospect, and he played like one for the Demon Deacons. He is your typical jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kind of prospect, but San Antonio would be fooling themselves if they think LaRavia isn’t great value in the early stages of the second round. There are clear limitations: he isn’t a great athlete, doesn’t have a shifty handle, and lacks off the bounce scoring upside, but he’s learned to maximize his impact on the game.

Tankathon has Jake #30 and Alondes #48

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Jake pulled out of 5 on 5 scrimmages, suggesting he is happy with what he has heard.

Apparently, he's seen enough.

Another Jake mention:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/202...-san-antonio-spurs-get-help-in-the-frontcourt

Round 2, Pick 38:
Jake LaRavia, Forward, Wake Forest: With a True Shooting Percentage of nearly 65% at Wake Forest last season, Jake LaRavia is one of the highest floor prospects in this class. A bonafide role player and immediate contributor from day one, LaRavia has a fascinating blend of size, shooting, playmaking, and defensive versatility that will benefit the Spurs from the moment he enters the gym. LaRavia is an older prospect, and he played like one for the Demon Deacons. He is your typical jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kind of prospect, but San Antonio would be fooling themselves if they think LaRavia isn’t great value in the early stages of the second round. There are clear limitations: he isn’t a great athlete, doesn’t have a shifty handle, and lacks off the bounce scoring upside, but he’s learned to maximize his impact on the game.

Tankathon has Jake #30 and Alondes #48

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

WTH? “ LaRavia is an older prospect,”. Jake is 20. Catch up dude

There seems to be a sharp difference between people who seem in the know who have him in the late first and those who have him in the 2nd.

Alondes is playing on Team Erman on Thursday from 5:15-7 and Friday from 3:15-5. Alondes is playing with Deoreon Seabron and Ron Harper, Jr.

Some good tweets about LaRavia.

Back