• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Education Policy Thread: Pubs are now the party of choice!

Student-teacher ratio is something that can be improved with more funding, but you said more funding won't help, only competition.

The pivot-less pivot. Those aren't different arguments at their core, they are different aspects of a single argument.

They are different because one argument, the first, has a causal relationship underlying the justification and the other says a thing is good by it's very nature.

They are different because one argument, the first, has a causal relationship underlying the justification and the other says a thing is good by it's very nature.

We are all here arguing against the competition creates quality premise, and you've shifted the basis of your position to 'quality doesn't matter I just love having choices and so do 200000 other families.' If that is all this is about, choice is good because it is, I don't disagree.

Nationwide, on average, charter schools are funded at 61 percent of their district counterparts, averaging $6,585 per pupil compared to $10,771 per pupil at conventional district public schools. Unlike traditional district schools, most charter schools do not receive funding to cover the cost of securing a facility...

https://edreform.com/2011/09/how-are-charter-schools-funded/

So you want to build more charter schools, paid for with public education dollars but did you happen to notice the last sentence of the excerpt you posted? A facility is kind of important yeah?

Student-teacher ratio is something that can be improved with more funding, but you said more funding won't help, only competition.

Jh’s plan takes away current public education funding which is used to pay for public education at, say a 25:1 ratio for example, to create a charter school with a 15:1 ratio for the students. Much better ratio for those students but much higher per pupil spending.

However using my public school education math, by my estimation that’d reduce the per pupil funding for those students still in the public school system. Hard to see how that doesn’t lower quality.

You must have ignored the polling data among Democrats the first time I posted it. Here it is again: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brow...rters-diverge-by-race-as-2020-elections-loom/

New poll results from Democrats for Education Reform, an advocacy organization that supports charter schools, show a stark contrast between the attitudes of white Democrats on one side, and black and Hispanic Democrats, on the other. Among white Democratic voters, 26% expressed favorable opinions toward charters, while 62% had unfavorable opinions. The results were essentially flipped for black (58% favorable, 31% unfavorable) and Hispanic (52% favorable, 30% unfavorable) Democratic voters.

The opposition to charters is confined to white Democrats. What a surprise to hear that the good little white liberals that populate the Myers Park, RJ Reynolds, Broughton and Grimsley PTAs are sold on the public schools that service their expensive neighborhoods (to say nothing of the Biden/Harris clad fleet of Priuses parked in front of Forsyth Country Day and Charlotte Latin). For some reason, the Democrats at less privileged schools don't share their devotion to a system that doesn't work for them nearly as well.

Is your theory that devotion to Trump is leading black and Hispanic Democrats towards charters?

Rates of single parent households are about 64 percent for black and 24 percent for white families.

Obviously, we should recognize the apparent preference of black parents is the better option.

Back