• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Wake beer

I'm thinking 4.5% is high for a low calorie refreshing light beer. 12 by kick-off easy. Problem will be that they will be expensive and boring. Not a good combination.

Meh, after the first 2 or 3 taste doesn't matter. Drink something interesting at first and then switch to the Deacon Brew.

I get the appeal of a boring light beer, just wish it wasn't THE beer.

If it were me, I'd have two: Deacon Brew (as it stands, permanent selection) and Demon Brew, which could be a rotating (seasonal?) selection of easily drinkable (5-7% ABV) but more interesting contributions from W-S/NC breweries. Session IPA, blonde ale, kolsch, pale ale, hefe, schwarzbier... And you're covered.

Important question of the day: Anybody know where to get this stuff? I'm gonna be in Winston-Salem next week and would like to taste it.

Not sure you will find it as early as next week. Supposedly will be in WS Lowe’s at some point but I was in one just yesterday and didn’t see any yet. But did see the R&D Brewing display with its other beers …Storm Brew, etc. I am assuming Deacon Brew will have same profile as Storm but could be wrong.

As far as light beers go, Storm Brew isn't bad. I think the bar for light beers is set pretty damn low by the big boys, so unless it tastes like Old Milwaukee Light, this beer should serve its purpose. I've drunk shit loads of Storm Brew at Canes games and it goes down just fine and gives you a buzz. Those of you clamouring for some special craft beer are delusional. Would a nicely balanced golden ale or blonde be awesome? Yes. Feasible for a school like Wake? No. The best option would have been to have Foothills repackage Thousand Smiles, Wise Man to repackage their American Lager, or Fiddlin' Fish to repackage their Buena Vista Blonde. But those beers aren't cheap to make or easy to mass-produce. R&D have already proven that they can make a suitable cheap ass light beer and package it for a reasonable price.

Woah. Mountain Candy, Juiciness, and Rainbow Dust are all pretty delicious.

mountain candy is p mediocre as far as flagship IPAs go, and juiciness is overshadowed by way better NEIPAs in the immediate vicinity (it doesn't help that sycamore offers like 8 other identical NEIPAs concurrently)

i've never had rainbow dust, if i'm being honest

As far as light beers go, Storm Brew isn't bad. I think the bar for light beers is set pretty damn low by the big boys, so unless it tastes like Old Milwaukee Light, this beer should serve its purpose. I've drunk shit loads of Storm Brew at Canes games and it goes down just fine and gives you a buzz. Those of you clamouring for some special craft beer are delusional. Would a nicely balanced golden ale or blonde be awesome? Yes. Feasible for a school like Wake? No. The best option would have been to have Foothills repackage Thousand Smiles, Wise Man to repackage their American Lager, or Fiddlin' Fish to repackage their Buena Vista Blonde. But those beers aren't cheap to make or easy to mass-produce. R&D have already proven that they can make a suitable cheap ass light beer and package it for a reasonable price.

Maybe if they sell enough of this swill, they'll go back and make a different type of brew. Probably an IPA knowing the Wake clowns. Like the world doesn't have enough of those.

For some reason I really resent the marketing of a light beer as a craft beer, though. And beyond that, Wake alumni are loaded and will drink a real beer. You can sell anything at a football game and people will drink them. But if you're selling something in the stores, go big or go home.

This is the truth. Appears that R&D is also a sponsor (the "marquee R&D Brewing Seven Saturdays Bar"), and that advertising bill was probably too high for the local breweries to take on. I am just excited about the branding (even if it is a copy of Storm Brew - the struttin' Deacon is cool on anything) and Wake finally has their own beer. Thats really cool, and would not have happened years ago. Also, Wake isnt going to serve a Double IPA with their logo on it to you, drunkards.

They've got a lot of partial owners by my understanding. I knew a doctor who was in on it. It's pretty average imo.

My cousin is the bassist for a band called Southside Watt (formerly the Accidentals) that plays(ed) there twice a month. Some sort of bluegrass rock fusion.

This is correct. While it would be great for a Wake beer to be a decent craft beer, it's not going to happen. And can you imagine Wake even having a beer under the old AD?

This is correct. While it would be great for a Wake beer to be a decent craft beer, it's not going to happen. And can you imagine Wake even having a beer under the old AD?

And here is a NIL opportunity for some Wake athletes of legal drinking age.

I think there is a close alignment to the downfall of America and the beer snob trend.

Uhmmm...what's wrong with Old Milwaukee Light?

Back