• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Wake beer

I was 100 on the PBR and Busch train in college.

I literally thought getting a 12 pack of Sam Adams or 18 of bud in the bottle was living like a king.

Yeah Sam Adam’s and it’s varieties were my special occasion beers back in the day.

Unquestionably true. Yet, in fairness, Wake doesn't have its own beer without the snob trend.

Does one have to be a beer snob to like an IPA? I get the feeling you just don’t like them and are radiating hot takes to distract from that.

I feel like NC was a backwater for craft beer during my time at Wake (03-07) and then they changed some law about alc content and more showed up. I only ever remember really seeing like the Highland Gaelic and Duck Rabbit Milk Stout.

To me it seems pretty racist to be dismissive of India Pale Ale.

I feel like NC was a backwater for craft beer during my time at Wake (03-07) and then they changed some law about alc content and more showed up. I only ever remember really seeing like the Highland Gaelic and Duck Rabbit Milk Stout.
I turned 21 at the end of this range and I remember buying kegs and pony kegs from City Beverage of what we thought were fancy beers. The Shiner Bock keg we got for, like, five of us took us days to finish but I remember thinking it was so fancy.

Then I moved to Texas and alternated it with lone star every single day

I turned 21 at the end of this range and I remember buying kegs and pony kegs from City Beverage of what we thought were fancy beers. The Shiner Bock keg we got for, like, five of us took us days to finish but I remember thinking it was so fancy.

Then I moved to Texas and alternated it with lone star every single day

yeah we did kegs from City Beverage and Total Wine but then we started doing Foothills ones for the same price as like Yuengling. We usually got the Hoppyum but occasionally they would accidentally give us the DIPA.

But in all seriousness, those British soldiers were really HOPPED UP on that warm IPA beer !

The name is derived from the English shipping beer to their Indian colonies. So it’s actually pretty woke.

The normal beer was spoiling. The extra hops preserved it during the longer journey.

I think we have all proved that we know the origins of IPA.

Does one have to be a beer snob to like an IPA? I get the feeling you just don’t like them and are radiating hot takes to distract from that.

I'm definitely done with IPAs. I can have one on occasion, and actually prefer something like an APA, but my primary issue with them is everybody makes one and the market is way oversaturated with IPAs, most of which taste exactly the same. And brewers don't just make one IPA, but an IPA, a double IPA, an APA, an IPA infused with yeast from the brewmaster's ballsack, etc... It's also the quintessential gateway beer for beer snobbery and people talking about hops this and hops that. To be fair, though, beer snobbery really took off to another level when they started putting things in it to make it more palatable-- chocolate, vanilla, berries, other fruits, etc. That can be appealing, but 99% of the brewers put too much of that stuff into their product.

But yeah, I drank my share of Sierra Nevada Pale Ales back like 25 years ago when they were a novelty and liked them then.That is no longer the case. I burnt out at some point on IPAs generally about 10-15 years ago. About once every couple years, I'll buy some Sierra Nevadas to feel nostalgic. Bought some a few months ago, actually, and enjoyed them for that purpose.

I'm definitely done with IPAs. I can have one on occasion, and actually prefer something like an APA, but my primary issue with them is everybody makes one and the market is way oversaturated with IPAs, most of which taste exactly the same. And brewers don't just make one IPA, but an IPA, a double IPA, an APA, an IPA infused with yeast from the brewmaster's ballsack, etc... It's also the quintessential gateway beer for beer snobbery and people talking about hops this and hops that. To be fair, though, beer snobbery really took off to another level when they started putting things in it to make it more palatable-- chocolate, vanilla, berries, other fruits, etc. That can be appealing, but 99% of the brewers put too much of that stuff into their product.

But yeah, I drank my share of Sierra Nevada Pale Ales back like 25 years ago when they were a novelty and liked them then.That is no longer the case. I burnt out at some point on IPAs generally about 10-15 years ago. About once every couple years, I'll buy some Sierra Nevadas to feel nostalgic. Bought some a few months ago, actually, and enjoyed them for that purpose.

This!

All I want is a black German lager and I can't find anything but IPAs.

Yeah Sam Adam’s and it’s varieties were my special occasion beers back in the day.

I went through a time of loving craft beers. But over the last few years, Sam 76 has become my go-to beer. I hate the new name- Wicked Easy- but it's a good every day beer.

Back