• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Wake beer

My friend in high school convinced his mom and dad that we were going to find beer one way or another and they they should help us all steer clear of the law and learn something along way by buying him a home brewing kit. This was 1994-5 before it was super trendy. So we’d brew beer at his house every few weeks and try out all sorts of recipes and styles. I was definitely already into the craft beers when I arrived at Wake but mostly drank malt liquor and Busch Lite.

how many beers do you think you could drink during one Wake football game?

I'll say it's a night game -- 7:30pm kickoff -- so factor that in accordingly

I guess we'll assume it's a 4.5% ABV light beer or whatever this beer is

During a four hour football game? It’s not as easy as it used to be but I could take down a twelver of light beer, no problem.

Biggest problem in drinking 12 beers during the game is the 7-8 beers you drink before the game.

It's also the quintessential gateway beer for beer snobbery and people talking about hops this and hops that.

Snooty, snob beer, just like east and west coast elite universities offering women's soccer alongside their football and basketball.

My friend in high school convinced his mom and dad that we were going to find beer one way or another and they they should help us all steer clear of the law and learn something along way by buying him a home brewing kit. This was 1994-5 before it was super trendy. So we’d brew beer at his house every few weeks and try out all sorts of recipes and styles. I was definitely already into the craft beers when I arrived at Wake but mostly drank malt liquor and Busch Lite.

I brewed my own beer AT WAKE FOREST! It was 1980 and it had just become legal. Drinking age was 18 but you couldn't put the word beer on posters at Wake. My beer was awful except for one batch. My microbiology professor heard what I was doing and gave me a sample of yeast from the local brewery. That batch actually tasted like beer.

Come to think of it... I actually made the first Deacon Brew... Hmmm.

Watched a cool beer documentary in the last year or so (Kings of Beer), and I'm pretty sure the actual legit beer snobs and brewers on there said the reason why there are so many IPAs in America is because they're the easiest to make and hardest to screw up. Hops mask a lot of other flavors.

I like IPAs just fine, more so than I used to, but still prefer a really well made Lager/Pilsner/Amber/Blonde most of the time.

Watched a cool beer documentary in the last year or so (Kings of Beer), and I'm pretty sure the actual legit beer snobs and brewers on there said the reason why there are so many IPAs in America is because they're the easiest to make and hardest to screw up. Hops mask a lot of other flavors.

I like IPAs just fine, more so than I used to, but still prefer a really well made Lager/Pilsner/Amber/Blonde most of the time.

That's spot on about the IPAs. I've spent the last few years trying to perfect my lagering techniques to make a good pale lager. Very difficult to do it consistently because any off flavors are not masked by the hops. One of the reasons those beers became the dominant force in American beer is because they are damn good when done right. Oversaturation, lack of variety and watering them down to make a buck ruined them and helped spawn the craft beer movement.

Ales in general are easier to make than lagers, way less variables like temperature sensitivity to deal with and like you said with IPAs you can just blast it with hops to cover up errors.

They’re still delicious though, win win in my book.

That said the malty marzen styles that pop up in the fall (Oktoberfest styles) are a favorite of mine too. Big malt flavor and deliciously slammable.

I feel like I post that nugget about ipas being easier to brew like once a month, like I have nothing else to post about. I think I’ll stop doing that for a while. Makes me miss homebrew days years ago with a buddy who had all the gear. It’s very satisfying to enjoy a beer you made start to finish with raw materials.

Got into "microbrews" when I turned 21 at Wake in 2002. Citybev runs featured Blue Moon and Killians (didn't know at first they were made by Coors), Rogue Dead Guy, Weeping Radish (still exists, but is not distributed that far west), Pete's Wicked, Red Hook, and some Highland stuff once in a while. Was excited when Yuengling finally came south. Times have changed to be sure.

I feel like German style lagers are making a comeback. About a third of the local breweries here in Richmond have a Marzen, and I think there are more to come.

Back