• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake should “hang” Jack Harrison’s Jersey - Is he the best ACC Soccer Player ever?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
http://https://theathletic.com/news/leeds-jack-harrison-transfer-latest/KGrLuhSPz0A5?amp=1

Just found out that Leeds finally purchased Jack Harrison from Man City, where he had been on loan for the past 3 seasons. He is already drawing rave reviews and other soccer pundits have even commented that his transfer fee was too low. Based on his accomplishments and accolades, even in just 1 season, I think he should be commemorated by Wake as one of our best Soccer players ever, and he might be the best, strictly from a skill and international potential perspective.

- Joined Man U Academy at age 7

- Won 3 High School State Championships

- Won Gatorade National High School Male Soccer Player of the Year

- #1 Top Drawer Soccer Recruit

- Won 2016 ACC Tournament Championship

-Went to 2016 College Cup Championship

- 2016 ACC Freshman of the Year

- 2016 ACC Offensive Player of the Year

- Consensus #1st Team All-American

- #1st Pick in 2016 MLS Superdraft

- Voted 2nd best MLS Player under age 24 (at 20yo)

- Signed with Man City

-Played for England U-21 Team

- Loaned to Leeds, won English League Championship

- 11 million Transfer from Man City to Leeds in preparation for Leeds promotion to Premiere League, Harrison considered a First-Line player.

I’ve been trying to research, Jack Harrison might be the first ever first line Premiere League player from the ACC

Last edited:
http://https://theathletic.com/news/leeds-jack-harrison-transfer-latest/KGrLuhSPz0A5?amp=1

Just found out that Leeds finally purchased Jack Harrison from Man City, where he had been on loan for the past 3 seasons. He is already drawing rave reviews and other soccer pundits have even commented that his transfer fee was too low. Based on his accomplishments and accolades, even in just 1 season, I think he should be commemorated by Wake as one of our best Soccer players ever, and he might be the best, strictly from a skill and international potential perspective.

- Joined Man U Academy at age 7

- Won 3 High School State Championships

- Won Gatorade National High School Male Soccer Player of the Year

- #1 Top Drawer Soccer Recruit

- Won 2016 ACC Tournament Championship

-Went to 2016 College Cup Championship

- 2016 ACC Freshman of the Year

- 2016 ACC Offensive Player of the Year

- Consensus #1st Team All-American

- #1st Pick in 2016 MLS Superdraft

- Voted 2nd best MLS Player under age 24 (at 20yo)

- Signed with Man City

-Played for England U-21 Team

- Loaned to Leeds, won English League Championship

- 11 million Transfer from Man City to Leeds in preparation for Leeds promotion to Premiere League, Harrison considered a First-Line player.

I’ve been trying to research, Jack Harrison might be the first ever first line Premiere League player from the ACC

He’s not the first, Reyna and Harkes played in the Prem and went to UVA. Zack Steffen was at Maryland there last year in the ACC.

That being said his career arc is probably the highest. He’s just on the periphery of playing for England right now. With a couple injuries he could get called up this year for WC qualifiers.

But yes Wake should absolutely honor him in some way.

Jack and MY LEEDS are playing man u tomorrow morning. how are you supposed to watch the game?

A couple of small corrections: "English league championship" is a bit confusing. Leeds won in 2020 the "English Football League Championship," which is the highest division of the English Football League pyramid but still below the English Premiere League. Leeds finished last EPL season in a respectable ninth.

Off the top of my head there have been several "first-choice" former NCAA athletes in premiere league squads. Yedlin went to Akron, Tim Ream played for St. Louis, Zach Steffen at Maryland. Clint Dempsey is the best example that comes to mind: he played at Furman back in the early 2000s.

From the ACC specifically you'll have some guys from the 90s like Ian Harkes' dad.

Mia Hamm probably gets those honors if we're talking most accomplished.

A couple of small corrections: "English league championship" is a bit confusing. Leeds won in 2020 the "English Football League Championship," which is the highest division of the English Football League pyramid but still below the English Premiere League. Leeds finished last EPL season in a respectable ninth.

Off the top of my head there have been several "first-choice" former NCAA athletes in premiere league squads. Yedlin went to Akron, Tim Ream played for St. Louis, Zach Steffen at Maryland. Clint Dempsey is the best example that comes to mind: he played at Furman back in the early 2000s.

From the ACC specifically you'll have some guys from the 90s like Ian Harkes' dad.

So looks like John Harkes from Virginia in the mid 90s, Claudio Reyna from Maryland in the late 90s, then Zack Steffan, and Jack Harrison. Those are the only players I could find. I didn’t see anyone from Duke, Carolina, Clemson, or FSU that had played in the PL

Also,

Eric Lichaj (Carolina),
Stuart Holden (Clemson),
Oguchi Onyewu (Clemson)
Maurice Edu (Maryland) lol, only 1 app in EPL

Also,

Eric Lichaj (Carolina),
Stuart Holden (Clemson),
Oguchi Onyewu (Clemson)
Maurice Edu (Maryland) lol, only 1 app in EPL

UNC didn’t even have Lichaj mentioned in a profile of their greatest soccer players. Do you just have all those players memorized or did you use a resource?

UNC didn’t even have Lichaj mentioned in a profile of their greatest soccer players. Do you just have all those players memorized or did you use a resource?
Haha, somewhere in between: I googled something like "Americans who played in premiere league" and scanned a list looking for guys I remembered watching play in college.

That's why these additions are all from the same era. It's likely I missed some from other periods or guys like Harrison who weren't American.

That said, I think you're right that JH is one of the best the ACC ever produced. It sure was fun to watch him terrorize defenders.

Think Dempsey is the only American college product to score 50+ in Europe.

Back