• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLV - Where TK reimagines Tom Sizemore as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are but also my grandfather used the term to just mean anything you fabricated to solve a tricky problem of construction or any piece of scrappy handiwork

I never knew either one of my grandfathers, something I have always regretted.

Apparently I’m the only one whose grandfather was a horrible, horrible racist.

Probably not. A good friend's grandparents had a dog they called "tar baby."

I mean, that was a legit restaurant in North Myrtle until 2 years ago but we don’t have racism anymore.

Probably not. A good friend's grandparents had a dog they called "tar baby."

Does "tar baby" refer to black people or does it have the same root as tar heels, long-leaf pine turpentine production?

Maybe that's a dumb question, sorry, but where I grew up we didn't have all these different potentially racist terms.

nah, my grandfather hated the japanese to his core until he died. even in an Alzheimer haze he couldnt let go

Your grandpa fight in the Pacific Theater too? My grandfather's racism was so weird towards the Japanese. Like he had an absolute hatred of the race but was super kind to the individual. My parents used to house exchange teachers from different countries while I was growing up, and my grandpa treated the two Japanese teachers that stayed with us like family members.

apparently they sank a submarine and shot down three kamikazes. he also hated carrier-men because they were a bunch of stuck up assholes.

My grandfathers both hated the Japanese. They didn't really like black people either, but they hated the Japanese.

My grandfathers both hated the Japanese. They didn't really like black people either, but they hated the Japanese.

My grandpa was always super quick to drop some casual racism towards black people but went to a Lutheran church in Winston that was about 50/50 black and white, lived in a neighborhood that was probably 80/20 black, and legit had a black best friend. Old people's racism was hella weird.

All four of my grandparents are actually still alive and in pretty good health. I usually manage to talk with them once a month or so.

All four of my grandparents are actually still alive and in pretty good health. I usually manage to talk with them once a month or so.

Jesus, man. My last grandparent passed over 2 decades ago. How old are they?

apparently they sank a submarine and shot down three kamikazes. he also hated carrier-men because they were a bunch of stuck up assholes.

My grandpa was an anti-aircraft gunner on the Indiana. He had some stories.

never met my maternal grandparents, they died before i was born, but to hear it told they were irredeemable racists.

my paternal grandparents were both exceptionally kind people, and whatever their biases were they must have kept them to themselves.

I ate at Tar Baby's about 15-20 years ago and remember feeling like it was an extremely racist name / sign.

But I also remember the pancakes were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back