• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLV - Where TK reimagines Tom Sizemore as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandpa was always super quick to drop some casual racism towards black people but went to a Lutheran church in Winston that was about 50/50 black and white, lived in a neighborhood that was probably 80/20 black, and legit had a black best friend. Old people's racism was hella weird.

My Grandmother and Great Uncle (her brother) were pretty casual racists. They would use words like Polak, and Jew as a verb, but simultaneously had polish and Jewish friends. I did not know that Polak was a derogatory word until I was a freshman at Wake.

The best (as in worst) racist name may be the high school in IL that went by Chinks for 50 years.

https://www.tetonvalleynews.net/opinion/letters_to_editor/the-true-story-of-a-proud-little-city-and-its-high-school-mascot/article_30dd1041-3be8-5836-afca-cfec6071d73a.html

According to the accepted lore, the town was christened Pekin in 1830 by the wife of the city’s founder. She was inspired by the popular notion that the city was just about opposite on the globe from the Chinese capital city of Peking. This romanticizing of Chinese culture grew along with Pekin. The downtown theater was decorated as a Chinese pagoda, and Chinese-looking lettering was visible in many businesses. An early 1900s baseball club even called itself The Celestials, taken from the Peking nickname “The Celestial City.”

PCHS grew as the city did, and its school culture came to include sports teams, as well as an assortment of nicknames and mascots. The earliest known nickname was The Celestials. The school also tried out Robots and Reds. But around 1930, the school settled on the nickname that would endure for 50 years: The Chinks.

My Grandmother and Great Uncle (her brother) were pretty casual racists. They would use words like Polak, and Jew as a verb, but simultaneously had polish and Jewish friends. I did not know that Polak was a derogatory word until I was a freshman at Wake.

lol my middle school bus driver used to just call me polack

Jesus, man. My last grandparent passed over 2 decades ago. How old are they?

They are all mid 80s or so, maybe 85-87 range. My parents are very young — I’m 35 and they will be 59 and 57 this year.

my Nana told me she could pass someone on the street and if you asked her soon thereafter what race they were, she couldn't tell you

so my Nana is post-race just like the rest of the USA

My grandparents are all deceased.

My mom's dad died in 2011 at the age of 90. He was a Utah Beach guy and a mason who built his own home (and most of the buildings - library, school, etc - in their town of Merrimac, MA).

I work in finance and produce nothing.

My grandparents are all deceased.

My mom's dad died in 2011 at the age of 90. He was a Utah Beach guy and a mason who built his own home (and most of the buildings - library, school, etc - in their town of Merrimac, MA).

I work in finance and produce nothing.

Yeah other than the fact that I’m not a horrible racist I think my grandfather was better than me in pretty much every conceivable way.

I loved my grandma. She bought me my first bird birding field guide in 1997, the Roger Tory Peterson guide to bird identification, and took me to buy my first set of binoculars. I still have the book, but the last 1/5 of if the pages are all super glued together because I was using the book during bird banding field work in 2003 and the cap came off the glue in my backpack.

Oh I definitely loved all my grandparents. Going to my maternal grandpa’s farm for a week during summer when I was a kid was a better trip than Disney World. He had whole milk, nabs, and oatmeal cream pies and cows and a couple hundred acres and a seemingly infinite amount of woods to explore.

Oh I definitely loved all my grandparents. Going to my maternal grandpa’s farm for a week during summer when I was a kid was a better trip than Disney World. He had whole milk, nabs, and oatmeal cream pies and cows and a couple hundred acres and a seemingly infinite amount of woods to explore.

Yeah, I just wanted to follow up on my Jew and Polak post with something nice about her. The greatest generation were a complicated bunch.

in addition to the racism, the misogyny of the greatest generation is a bummer

my mom's mom is very gifted with design and making things and would have been done very well in a creative or construction field, but really only had the opportunity to be a teacher or a nurse and so did nursing for a while before being a full-time stay-at-home mom

my dad's mom was a teacher and really enjoyed it, but my grandfather didn't like that she was away from the home once they had kids, so he put the kibosh on even substitute teaching while my dad his sister were in the house -- by the time they moved on she was too long out of the game to really get back

both bum me out, but my grandmas don't seem too upset about it so I guess it's just a me problem

I loved my grandma. She bought me my first bird birding field guide in 1997, the Roger Tory Peterson guide to bird identification, and took me to buy my first set of binoculars. I still have the book, but the last 1/5 of if the pages are all super glued together because I was using the book during bird banding field work in 2003 and the cap came off the glue in my backpack.

if it was awaken we'd know he had a bird fetish

Having a hell of a time finding the exact car I want to replace my Bolt. Finally found the exact model I want at a dealership in Mobile, AL at a good price. Internet manager was all positive energy, I'm getting excited about flying down there and driving it back. Then the sales manager tells me they can only sell it locally because I would have to bring it back to that same dealership at the 30 day mark for a required inspection. Now I'm in a grumpy ass mood.

My dog jumped out of my car window sitting at a red light in the middle of Dallas rush hour traffic yesterday.

I give that zero outta five stars. Would not recommend.

Our neighbor drove away from her house with her cat on the roof of her Jeep the other day. Got a few houses down the street before the thing jumped on the hood and into the road. Scared the shit out of my neighbor (and the cat).

Everyone is OK. I wish I had been taking video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back