• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLV - Where TK reimagines Tom Sizemore as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
then you're not going to criticize a work (or a history or a political party) full stop imo

that's simply false

you can still criticize a work on the basis of its own merits, and when it comes to film/tv production, that leaves you a whole world of stylistic choices, casting, plotting, storyboarding, photography, dialog, etc. and within the war genre, we can get into more niche criticism about the way it tells stories. for example, i think apocalypse now is the finest of the genre, and one of the finest films of all time, and simply being unreceptive to feminist critique of it isn't art conservatism in my view. i am not suggesting the concept that women could enrich the series is an invalid view, it's just not a critique i'm conversant or really all that sympathetic to for this particular work, and end of day i'm just more interested in other discussions of it. if instead we want to talk about why more band of brothers stories get made than other kinds of stories getting made, i'm absolutely down for that convo.

Yeah I'm kinda ready to put on the fall five and drink porters and stouts and hike every weekend.

i can't even think about dark beers just yet when it is still in the 80s. am kind of sad i have only had one oktoberfest so far and i'm sure there is only one week left of them being readily available in stores.

Was it you that was talking about wanting to retire? I feel that. I just wanna hang out with my kids and travel and shit. I can't wait for my lottery number to hit.

it was

I've spent a lot of the last week trying to quantify free time, lack of stress, etc. in dollars

i can't even think about dark beers just yet when it is still in the 80s. am kind of sad i have only had one oktoberfest so far and i'm sure there is only one week left of them being readily available in stores.

Has anyone tried the Atomic Pumpkin beer from New Belgium? That shit is delicious and I'm not even a pumpkin guy.

Do you have a refrigerator?

It's going to be 90 degrees in the Chicago area this weekend. I am definitely ready for 50s and 60s and some imperial stouts and barleywines.

I enjoy engaging with intersectional critiques of works that are trying to be expansive, either in their storytelling in the case of fiction or their own thesis in the case of nonfiction primary texts. But certain works have a simple and central vision that, in my view, is not meant to be viewed from lenses other than the one its author has straightforwardly put in front of you to view it from.

also found knight's car

E_ghHDLWQAUY4rw

that's simply false

you can still criticize a work on the basis of its own merits, and when it comes to film/tv production, that leaves you a whole world of stylistic choices, casting, plotting, storyboarding, photography, dialog, etc. and within the war genre, we can get into more niche criticism about the way it tells stories. for example, i think apocalypse now is the finest of the genre, and one of the finest films of all time, and simply being unreceptive to feminist critique of it isn't art conservatism in my view. i am not suggesting the concept that women could enrich the series is an invalid view, it's just not a critique i'm conversant or really all that sympathetic to for this particular work, and end of day i'm just more interested in other discussions of it. if instead we want to talk about why more band of brothers stories get made than other kinds of stories getting made, i'm absolutely down for that convo.

it seems like you've shifted a bit since "not every story has to include every perspective on a given topic." and "[you are] asking the series to be something other than what it is." which I can get down with

i stand by if you're only going to hold works (or social orgs or whatever) up to their standards then you're not practicing criticism and I genuinely don't see how that's controversial

iow imo what you wrote above is true but it's not complete.

i mean i agree that when you teach anything you gotta do that but i still don't think i entirely get the point

Do you have a refrigerator?

It's going to be 90 degrees in the Chicago area this weekend. I am definitely ready for 50s and 60s and some imperial stouts and barleywines.

i do but its gotta stay stocked with miller lite & chocolate milk, bro

I enjoy engaging with intersectional critiques of works that are trying to be expansive, either in their storytelling in the case of fiction or their own thesis in the case of nonfiction primary texts. But certain works have a simple and central vision that, in my view, is not meant to be viewed from lenses other than the one its author has straightforwardly put in front of you to view it from.

Reading this back, we all have our own perspectives we bring to things, and your view of a work will always necessarily be different from mine for that reason. Subjective critique of any kind of typically valid and worth pursuing. I just don't like this one.

Reading this back, we all have our own perspectives we bring to things, and your view of a work will always necessarily be different from mine for that reason. Subjective critique of any kind of typically valid and worth pursuing. I just don't like this one.

i think that's an important caveat because I really don't like the OP where some works are immune to criticism just because

i had to be in the right headspace but i have finally clicked with this Turnstile album and holy shit

anyway sorry if my point didn't land but it was a good convo imo and i'm going to go work on comps

The biff Jody post made the whole thing worth it regardless

Also big shoutout to the wife she got a call from a CEO she worked with previously to come back in a VP level role as department head. Super excited for her as this will be her first leadership role!

About half the guys in my brother’s units came home to empty houses and bank accounts.

Remember the scene when the British old man is on the bike when they practice securing the crossroads? Loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back