• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLV - Where TK reimagines Tom Sizemore as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are trying to find a spot to meet up as a mini family reunion after my nephew is born.

The city right in the middle is Greensboro. Going to be real tough to get excited enough to plan that trip.

Incline!

YO Bmoney, how old is DeaconBlue? He knows just about everything when it comes to home improvement, but also said "U-tube" in a thread on the sprots board.

I’m guessing 70. He posts some on CT.

YO deaconblue how old are u?

BLUE

are you familiar with the term "shim" and presuming you are, what is the most creative use of one you've ever employed?

when we were kids, i went fishing with my grandpa and cousin, and we were carrying a cooler through the woods when we banged it against a tree and the drain stop on the cooler fell off. my grandpa sprung into action and ripped a branch off a tree and pulled out his pocket knife and carved it into shape so it was more or less watertight against the cooler, took about 2 minutes and we were back in action, no ice water leakage for the cooler that trip, his beers, our sodas, and later our fish stayed icy cold.

Well maybe I shall remain team Amazon

Team Amazon here. No real reason. With no commute (short one in the before times), work does not lend itself to listening to as much new music as I'd like, two kids, it fits our needs and don't take time to explore other options.

BLUE

are you familiar with the term "shim" and presuming you are, what is the most creative use of one you've ever employed?

when we were kids, i went fishing with my grandpa and cousin, and we were carrying a cooler through the woods when we banged it against a tree and the drain stop on the cooler fell off. my grandpa sprung into action and ripped a branch off a tree and pulled out his pocket knife and carved it into shape so it was more or less watertight against the cooler, took about 2 minutes and we were back in action, no ice water leakage for the cooler that trip, his beers, our sodas, and later our fish stayed icy cold.

but pocket knives are dumb

I always thought of shims as those slim wedges of wood that you would use to do things like level wobbly woodwork or hold things in place

I always thought of shims as those slim wedges of wood that you would use to do things like level wobbly woodwork or hold things in place

I think they are but also my grandfather used the term to just mean anything you fabricated to solve a tricky problem of construction or any piece of scrappy handiwork

I think they are but also my grandfather used the term to just mean anything you fabricated to solve a tricky problem of construction or any piece of scrappy handiwork

i mean, what he made is a shim....like, in the traditional definition. need more examples

Our grandchildren telling stories about how when they were with grandpa, and a problem came up, he was able to immediately find something called a "youtube video" that told him how to fix it.

03137226.jpg

never heard it used as a catch-all term outside of these guys, but makes sense

i remember him dissembling a beer can with a pocket knife and using the rolled up aluminum into a cone and funneling oil/gas mix into his mower

he had some device he made out of PVC that had a nozzle to hook up to the hose he used to clean his gutters that was retractable, so he never got on a ladder

the bane of his existence was squirrels on his porch birdfeeders, so he was always trying to devise a squirrel proof birdfeeder. he'd put grease on the poles, spikes underneath the feeders, etc.

maybe these are what people today would just call DIY, but he tended to call them all shims

Our grandchildren telling stories about how when they were with grandpa, and a problem came up, he was able to immediately find something called a "youtube video" that told him how to fix it.

*U-Tube

i remember him dissembling a beer can with a pocket knife and using the rolled up aluminum into a cone and funneling oil/gas mix into his mower

he had some device he made out of PVC that had a nozzle to hook up to the hose he used to clean his gutters that was retractable, so he never got on a ladder

the bane of his existence was squirrels on his porch birdfeeders, so he was always trying to devise a squirrel proof birdfeeder. he'd put grease on the poles, spikes underneath the feeders, etc.

maybe these are what people today would just call DIY, but he tended to call them all shims

this motherfucker crafted his own word. respect

I call all that stuff jury-rigging.

speaking of bird feeders, I put in the one that BIRDMAN recommended and nary a bird in like two months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back