• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mounted bike rack recommendations?

DeacOnCapeCod

Reaction score
Family is looking for a 4 bike rack (for 2 inch hitch), which can easily fold/move out of the way even with the bikes on... I've seen some on Amazon that say that are foldable but the reviews say differently

Anyone have suggestions?

Family is looking for a 4 bike rack (for 2 inch hitch), which can easily fold/move out of the way even with the bikes on... I've seen some on Amazon that say that are foldable but the reviews say differently

Anyone have suggestions?

We use the Yakima version and its fine though we rarely open the hatch with the bikes on. We also rarely have 4 bikes though the space is nice to have. Not cheap though. I think they sell for $600 or so. Super easy to take off too if you dont want to always keep it on the car.

We are big fans of ordering from etrailer.com. They are every helpful and experts and have food prices. I think our next rack will be a swing rack that pivots rather than leans. Kuat has some nice ones.

What types of bikes are you looking to put on there? If you’re talking two adult bikes and two kid bikes, the Yakima or Allan arm extending ones work fine. It’s definitely a tight fit with all four, but very doable. Dropping the level to access the hitch though with four bikes is a bit tedious. The end bike tends to lay the tires on the ground and it’s just cumbersome. If your kids have larger bikes, it’s nearly an impossible fit to get 4 on an arm rack.

Kuat swing rack is definitely what I’d go for if you’re willing to spend 1,500 or so. They make everything so much easier and also are steady.

If you do end up with an arm rack, I’d also purchase a clamp that prevents side to side swag. I’ll see if I can find the one we use.

We have this one for 5 bikes and it's been great (we're using it with 3 adult bikes and two 24' bikes - but the arms were narrow enough when the kids were smaller to accommodate them). It's a bit heavy in and of itself, but has worked really well for our annual drive up to New England. The arms fold down easily and the whole apparatus will fold back to let you in the back. With 5 bikes, it takes a little muscle to push the whole thing back in place, but it does it easily enough.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/18065

4 bike version - https://www.curtmfg.com/part/18064

What types of bikes are you looking to put on there? If you’re talking two adult bikes and two kid bikes, the Yakima or Allan arm extending ones work fine. It’s definitely a tight fit with all four, but very doable. Dropping the level to access the hitch though with four bikes is a bit tedious. The end bike tends to lay the tires on the ground and it’s just cumbersome. If your kids have larger bikes, it’s nearly an impossible fit to get 4 on an arm rack.

Kuat swing rack is definitely what I’d go for if you’re willing to spend 1,500 or so. They make everything so much easier and also are steady.

If you do end up with an arm rack, I’d also purchase a clamp that prevents side to side swag. I’ll see if I can find the one we use.

Right now its 2 adult and 2 kids bikes... but will probably be 3 adults and 1 kids bike as the kids get bigger. We borrowed a friend's Allan rack and I like it: easy to load and all four fit fine, but for some reason my wife wants it to fold out of the way so we can open the back end.

https://loloracks.com/store/rack

These are awesome, fit a lot of different bike sizes and styles without being crazy cumbersome, and if you scroll through the photo gallery they can angle out of the way to still access the back hitch/trunk.

Back