• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

I've dealt with coyotes and copperheads around our house. For the copperhead, I hit it with a shovel. For the coyotes, we called a dude that trapped them. I'm trying to imagine an animal situation where one would need a gun, and I can't come up with one. For the rabid raccoon, just call animal control, right?

To the animal control question, my mom has outdoor dogs and cats that roam and she didn't have time to wait for animal control to get there. For the coyotes, that may be an option if you don't have chickens or livestock, and it also could become prohibitively expensive to continue to trap the animals.

this is how it goes - we argue about the fucking fringe legitimate uses of firearms.

coyote is what i call my daughter's boyfriend

zany-face-apple.png

To the animal control question, my mom has outdoor dogs and cats that roam and she didn't have time to wait for animal control to get there. For the coyotes, that may be an option if you don't have chickens or livestock, and it also could become prohibitively expensive to continue to trap the animals.

These are issues easily solved without guns. Bring the dogs and cats inside when the racoon is spotted, get animal control, etc. Even if this rabid racoon is actively attacking a cat, just hit it with a shovel. Racoons, rats, etc. are all over big cities, and people deal with them without guns. And even if a gun was necessary in these situations (it's not), it's not an argument for the massive numbers of guns in this country.

And to be clear, mako argued that very few guns are needed, so I'm in agreement with mako and not trying to call him/her out. I was just trying to imaging the scenario in which a gun is needed.

What type of government overreach does gun ownership prevent? If the police come to your home to take your stuff, having a gun just legitimizes their overreach. Does having a gun lower your taxes? It's a nonsense argument.

it definitely prevents the government from overreaching and putting you in jail. they simply put you in the ground instead.

It’s just more American firearms fantasy, just like it’s cool to play with your guns it’s also fun to fantasize about stopping this imaginary malicious force be it a bad guy with a gun or government overreach. It pretty much never pans out that way. I think it’s just another notch in people feeling like they need to control something in their shitty lives.

What’s the overlap between the “gotta protect my family” crowd and the “masks/vaccines are for sissies” crowd? Is it even a Venn diagram or just a doubled circle.

What are your thoughts on the need for universal background checks, banning ghost and untraceable guns, magazine capacity limits, and red flag laws?

I'm 100% good on universal background checks. We can differ on what disqualifies someone to own a firearm. I don't think a felony conviction should automatically disqualify a person.

I don't have a problem with "ghost guns," these guns aren't the guns that are hurting people.

I'm good with red flag laws as long as there are provisions in place that prevent them from being weaponized by disgruntled people.

You and I aren't going to agree on mag. cap limits.

I also believe that if you've served in the military, or can prove through substantial background and competency check, that you should be allowed to own an automatic firearm.

I mean I'm confident in my ability to shoot down a government drone trying to bomb my house using my AR15. Are you guys not?

These are issues easily solved without guns. Bring the dogs and cats inside when the racoon is spotted, get animal control, etc. Even if this rabid racoon is actively attacking a cat, just hit it with a shovel. Racoons, rats, etc. are all over big cities, and people deal with them without guns. And even if a gun was necessary in these situations (it's not), it's not an argument for the massive numbers of guns in this country.

And to be clear, mako argued that very few guns are needed, so I'm in agreement with mako and not trying to call him/her out. I was just trying to imaging the scenario in which a gun is needed.

Despite her board reputation, my 64 year old mother isn't quite as spry or nimble as she once was, so I'm not sure that beating the rabid racoon to death with a shovel is quite as safe for her as shooting it from the protection of her house.

What’s the overlap between the “gotta protect my family” crowd and the “masks/vaccines are for sissies” crowd? Is it even a Venn diagram or just a doubled circle.

vaccines are just anti-disease bullets

Also way to go throwing the hard R knight, everyone definitely respects your posts on this thread more now.

I mean I'm confident in my ability to shoot down a government drone trying to bomb my house using my AR15. Are you guys not?

Just kidding I'm in my twenties and live in a city, I obviously don't own a home

I mean, if I'm your data point there, the circles don't touch.

you're only talking about legal gun purchases

to use your example of Chicago, the streets have tons of guns that were not legally procured -- doesn't mean the guns don't exist

They're also coming in from podunk Indiana, which actually touches the Chicago border.

it's a full circle for the open/conceal carry crowd. alright I'm heading out, got my keys, sunglasses, wallet, and gun. but no mask, I don't live my life in fear !

If we were starting from scratch in creating a gun policy, we’d lay out all these fringe use cases (hunt for food, varmints, etc) people keep mentioning and probably come up with the types of guns that could be permitted to address them as well as the requirements for getting them.

I find it hard to believe that we’d end up with our current situation with the prevalence and types of guns the average person can get. So why are folks using those fringe cases as a defense of the current situation, rather than making policy match the need.

Back