• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

if you're turning to a pure force arg then you need to seriously reckon with the mass militarization of the police state and the overwhelming power of federal military armament

the idea that private gun ownership - mere ownership - presents a serious challenge to state violence is quite something

I mean, the taliban defeated the might US military, so why the the 'West Virginia Tru Patriots'?

Right to protect families was brought up. Are families more or less likely to die in similar countries with more stringent gun laws?

LOL at the idea that you are going to break up the fight of a cat or dog trying to survive an attack by a rabid racoon with a shovel. City folk...

It’s not a joke. Someone can own a shotgun, a couple of different hunting rifles, and a couple of handguns and not be a gun nut. Different guns serve different purposes, just like different shoes are appropriate for different situations.

I used to own a rifle but no longer do. My wife owns a handgun that she keeps in a safe. She could access it in 15-20 secs if shit went down.

I don't like guns and think we need stricter gun laws. I just posted in this thread because DV7 had some unreasonable takes.

Here's to healing for the young man's family, Tabor nation and Winston as a whole.

I agree we have a gun problem in this country, but it isn't as black and white as sone of you paint it.

Also, the presumption of the US military and Police force having full capabilities when >50% of their personnel defect to join the populace fighting against the government is a bit of a reach.

I mean, if I'm your data point there, the circles don't touch.

I think you mean you’d be on one side of the Venn diagram.

Idk though, seems pretty implausible that a gun gets successfully used for defense in a home invasion as compared to the myriad of other outcomes that could happen. I think if that’s the primary rationale there are probably better and safer ways to spend your efforts with way less downside risk.

I have no guns in my household, not any working ones anyway, but if I did itd be under no pretenses other than I like it because it’s cool and fun. Which currently does not come close to outweighing the downside risk.

to gun people, the solution is always more guns. more guns to poor people so they can hunt. more guns to protect from gov't overreach. more guns to protect their families. nothing else can be done other than get more guns in more hands.

You say this, but, many of the gun owners on this thread have stated they would be in favor of increased gun control laws - and, someone posted well known national statistics showing that the overwhelming majority of gun owners would be in favor of increased gun control.

Also, the presumption of the US military and Police force having full capabilities when >50% of their personnel defect to join the populace fighting against the government is a bit of a reach.

You’re suggesting then that it’s reasonable to plan our insanely lax gun policies around this totally hypothetical Tom Clancy doomsday scenario?

You’re suggesting then that it’s reasonable to plan our insanely lax gun policies around this totally hypothetical Tom Clancy doomsday scenario?

Nope. I'm not suggesting anything.

You say this, but, many of the gun owners on this thread have stated they would be in favor of increased gun control laws - and, someone posted well known national statistics showing that the overwhelming majority of gun owners would be in favor of increased gun control.

Then why isn't is happening? Could it be that these gun owners (maybe not the ones in this thread) say they want gun control and yet continue to donate to the NRA, who somehow has the power to prevent any gun control policies in this country?

What’s the overlap between the “gotta protect my family” crowd and the “masks/vaccines are for sissies” crowd? Is it even a Venn diagram or just a doubled circle.

Similarly what’s the overlap between “the country could fall into massive civil war and I need an AR-15 for that” crowd with “global warming is a hoax” crowd. Pretty close to 1:1 too?

The doomsday scenario is going to suck for all those gun nuts when they realize they are just front line pawns while once again people with intellect use it for the creation of biological, chemical, and explosive weaponry.

The doomsday scenario is going to suck for all those gun nuts when they realize they are just front line pawns while once again people with intellect use it for the creation of biological, chemical, and explosive weaponry.

"Give up your rights or smart people like me will poison you!" I can't imagine why they are skeptical...

Then why isn't is happening? Could it be that these gun owners (maybe not the ones in this thread) say they want gun control and yet continue to donate to the NRA, who somehow has the power to prevent any gun control policies in this country?

I can't really figure it out, to be honest. I think an extremely small percentage of gun owners have the same extreme views that the NRA fights for and they donate to the NRA. I think an additional small percentage of gun owners do not agree with all of the NRA positions but still donate because they agree with SOME of the NRA positions and wish that the NRA would pull back from the extreme but don't have any power to make that happen. Those donations provide the NRA with enough money to push their agenda - which, over time and under the influence of a lot of paranoia, has gotten more and more extreme. My father was an NRA member decades ago but I don't think he ever really knew what they did. I have never been a member.

But that is just a theory I came up with off the top of my head. I really don't know. I do know we have a lot of spineless leaders in government who talk a lot but who quickly swing in whatever direction they believe will keep them in office.

Same tired arguments. The reality is more guns, more gun deaths. Full stop. The rest is noise. If only responsible gun owners owned guns there would be fewer guns, fewer gun deaths.

Bottom line is guns, like vaccines and abortions, are a political lightning rod. Responsible gun owners on the right will simply never, ever, vote in a way that would promote gun reform - due in no small part to the fact that almost no political candidates can survive by walking a pro gun reform line as a conservative unless they are certain to have no impact. Political divides are worsening, and so are the non-political outcomes that get dragged around by that reality. Issue after issue gets shoved into the litmus test bucket. When that happens, discourse is essentially worthless.

So if you're a responsible gun owner, just shut the fuck up for a day and let us mourn that kids are getting killed because you and your family and friends won't let us have reasonable gun control laws in this country.

Yes

LOL at the idea that you are going to break up the fight of a cat or dog trying to survive an attack by a rabid racoon with a shovel. City folk...

LOL. I'd take out a rabid racoon with a shovel in a heartbeat. Actually, I'd probably use a pitchfork, but you get the idea.

Back