• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

No, I'm saying that Rafi's position is going to be inconsistent with my desire for unlimited magazine capacity.

Here's where I'm at generally - I think most of the lib-lefts on this board (it's basically just me that's lib-right in this thread), are worried about (1) [white] kids getting shot by other kids, and (2) gun violence much more generally. I question their resolve on (2), because I don't see them going to Chicago on the reg, or flipping out everytime two gang members kill each other.

Please, keep in mind that I defend felons in possession of a firearm every day. Gang violence isn't going to abate because we eliminate guns. We already 100% ban the possession (not the use; the mere possession) of a gun by (A) people who smoke marijuana [ever gang member ever], or (B) are under a DVPO (domestic violence stuffs). We do this now. Right now. A lot.

As to point (1), kids are going to do stupid things. We all know that. Kids certainly have inappropriate access to firearms. That's not a debatable point. "Banning" guns from schools, or otherwise legislating some form of gun "control" isn't going to stop kids from doing stupid things like shooting up a school.

So, I think as someone pointed out earlier (creamy?), it's a sociology issue. We could start by removing the incentives for shooting up a school (eliminate media-induced fame), and establish a stronger culture of "work out your aggressive differences in a different way.

For what it's worth, I think School zero tolerance policies toward fighting have increased gun violence. To an undeveloped teenage mind, if they are going to get suspended/expelled for a big fight, they might as well make it worth it. I'm not saying all kids think like this, but I'd be very interested in hearing interviews of one-off shootings like the one at Mt. Tabor.

I would really like to have the answer to the question, "if you were allowed to get in a fist fight with the boy/man you shot without anything more than the threat of detention, would you have still shot him?" "What if there were no consequences for the fight?"

Your solution to having less school shootings is to encourage kids fighting. Cool.

Although this deserves pretty much no discussion, I have to ask - is it generally bullies (i.e. the ones who would start and win a fight) that do school shootings or the kids who are being bullied. If it’s the latter, how will your solution help?

logical conclusion to this line of thinking manifests in shit like jan 6

where the number of cops and military officers who joined the coup fetish act didn't actually secure any sort of reduction in government power

That wasn't a goal of Jan. 6.

I'm confident that I know more about what happened on Jan. 6 than anyone else on this board, absent someone with a full security clearance. It would take someone months of full work-weeks to start to understand how Jan. 6 came about. Really a unique time in this country with a ton of psychology/sociology.

While I appreciate the response, I'm no closer to understanding why you (apparently) are against banning high capacity magazines and automatic weapons (the lowest hanging fruit in this debate, in my opinion). Is it that they are a necessary component in your armed resistance to the government scenario?

And for the record, although I now proudly consider myself a reformed former Republican I'm definitely not one of the board's far-left politicos. I grew up in eastern NC dove-hunting with a shotgun (presently gathering dust in my closet) my father gave me one Christmas before I was even sixteen. High capacity magazines and automatic weapons are, as others have pointed out, just really dangerous toys and I simply don't believe there is a legitimate reason for either to be legal.

Your solution to having less school shootings is to encourage kids fighting. Cool.

Although this deserves pretty much no discussion, I have to ask - is it generally bullies (i.e. the ones who would start and win a fight) that do school shootings or the kids who are being bullied. If it’s the latter, how will your solution help?

I don't know. I haven't really studied it. From what I understand about school shooters, it seems like there's a history of hostility. A constructive outlet for that might help?

Like, we're never going to be able to prevent all of these (unless we have some crazy advances in weapons-detection technology). So I'm really just spitballing ideas to prevent some of these.

But while I'm thinking about it, it'd be rad as fuck to make an invention that could harmlessly scan a group of people for dense metal objects.

No doubt. Next question.

dude, no way. I mean, I think the implication in Mako's question was, "without contracting rabies." And there's like no way you could kill a racoon with just a shovel without a significant chance of contracting rabies. Those shits are agile as FUCK.

While I appreciate the response, I'm no closer to understanding why you (apparently) are against banning high capacity magazines and automatic weapons (the lowest hanging fruit in this debate, in my opinion). Is it that they are a necessary component in your armed resistance to the government scenario?

And for the record, although I now proudly consider myself a reformed former Republican I'm definitely not one of the board's far-left politicos. I grew up in eastern NC dove-hunting with a shotgun (presently gathering dust in my closet) my father gave me one Christmas before I was even sixteen. High capacity magazines and automatic weapons are, as others have pointed out, just really dangerous toys and I simply don't believe there is a legitimate reason for either to be legal.

Like I said, I'm comfortable with restrictions on who can own automatic weapons. I don't want little man up there at Subway with a fully automatic weapon. But I would love it if retired Marines had the option to own an automatic weapon. Locked up in a gun safe. I'm also good with a red flag taking it away from him/her for the most part.

I don't know. I haven't really studied it. From what I understand about school shooters, it seems like there's a history of hostility. A constructive outlet for that might help?

Like, we're never going to be able to prevent all of these (unless we have some crazy advances in weapons-detection technology). So I'm really just spitballing ideas to prevent some of these.

But while I'm thinking about it, it'd be rad as fuck to make an invention that could harmlessly scan a group of people for dense metal objects.

I mean, I can spitball another idea, like reducing the number of guns out there could reduce the chances a kid gets their hands on one. Seems simpler than fortifying every school to protect someone’s hobby.

A school shooter’s gun will be detected by a metal detector. Cool. Keep in mind though that they’re already committed to bringing in a gun to do bad shit so most likely they’ll just walk right through.

https://indyweek.com/news/northcarolina/boogaloo-alt-right-protesters-raleigh/

In North Carolina, it is against the law for “any person participating in [a] demonstration upon … any public place” to “willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapons.”

The Raleigh police did nothing.

So, it's an enforcement issue.

I'm confident that I know more about what happened on Jan. 6 than anyone else on this board, absent someone with a full security clearance. It would take someone months of full work-weeks to start to understand how Jan. 6 came about. Really a unique time in this country with a ton of psychology/sociology.

what do you think attempting to overturning a federal vote is if not reducing the government's power to enforce a vote total

they can say they love America all they want but it's an attempt at destabilizing action

and it finds its genesis in arguments about guns keeping the government at bay

I mean, I can spitball another idea, like reducing the number of guns out there could reduce the chances a kid gets their hands on one. Seems simpler than fortifying every school to protect someone’s hobby.

A school shooter’s gun will be detected by a metal detector. Cool. Keep in mind though that they’re already committed to bringing in a gun to do bad shit so most likely they’ll just walk right through.

Yeah man, the human element is a big issue. We're really good at solving complex mazes/locks. I think that's why you gotta pre-empt the use of the firearm with another outlet for the aggression.

I did not grow up around guns. My only exposure was occasionally I'd have a friend who would invite me to do some target shooting in college, and I thought it was fun to shoot at targets but wasn't really interested in owning a gun. Then, in early 2020, we bought our first house in a nice neighborhood next to downtown Raleigh. That was also around the time that armed wannabe-militia trash morons were "protesting" all over the country about masks and shit, while also doing everything they could to make the already tragic BLM destruction even more violent. It wasn't the most peaceful of times.

Then, about a month into our home ownership, this happened: https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/armed-protesters-rally-against-coopers-stay-at-home-order-in-raleigh/ The photograph taken just outside of Oakwood cemetery is a couple blocks from our house. As a direct result of that and other similar "protests," I am now the owner of a Glock 19, Gen 5. I like shooting targets. I also like having it in my house, inside of a biometric safe that my fingerprint opens.

This thread includes a lot of posters telling other posters what their motivations were for buying a gun. I expect maybe I'll be subjected to that as well. But if those cosplay militia losers decided they didn't like my Biden sign and chose to commit violent acts (no doubt their fantasy), what's my line of defense?

Like, we're never going to be able to prevent all of these (unless we have some crazy advances in weapons-detection technology). So I'm really just spitballing ideas to prevent some of these..

You realize gun violence is not anything like this in other developed countries, right? No need to spit ball - there are many proven and popular approaches worth supporting (I listed 4 of them).

This getting close to as good as my brother is fighter pilot

I'd just drop an elbow from the top rope on that striped bastard with shifty eyes. Why the mask, racoon? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

raccoons are obviously LIB PLANTS since they wear masks all the time

Hey, Rafi, don't try and kill a rabid raccoon with a shovel.

However, also should note that a rifle or a shotgun is perfectly capable of dispatching a diseased and dangerous wild animal. No need for hand guns there...a rifle is probably better and more accurate from a safe distance.

Also, don't shoot snakes or behead them with shovel. Leave them alone.

I did not grow up around guns. My only exposure was occasionally I'd have a friend who would invite me to do some target shooting in college, and I thought it was fun to shoot at targets but wasn't really interested in owning a gun. Then, in early 2020, we bought our first house in a nice neighborhood next to downtown Raleigh. That was also around the time that armed wannabe-militia trash morons were "protesting" all over the country about masks and shit, while also doing everything they could to make the already tragic BLM destruction even more violent. It wasn't the most peaceful of times.

Then, about a month into our home ownership, this happened: https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/armed-protesters-rally-against-coopers-stay-at-home-order-in-raleigh/ The photograph taken just outside of Oakwood cemetery is a couple blocks from our house. As a direct result of that and other similar "protests," I am now the owner of a Glock 19, Gen 5. I like shooting targets. I also like having it in my house, inside of a biometric safe that my fingerprint opens.

This thread includes a lot of posters telling other posters what their motivations were for buying a gun. I expect maybe I'll be subjected to that as well. But if those cosplay militia losers decided they didn't like my Biden sign and chose to commit violent acts (no doubt their fantasy), what's my line of defense?

Your gun ownership isn't valid, because there's no way that one man with a gun can stand against an armed militia. [\s]

This getting close to as good as my brother is fighter pilot

Do you think that's it's possible that someone on this board is involved in the voluminous federal criminal litigation stemming from this incident?

Your gun ownership isn't valid, because there's no way that one man with a gun can stand against an armed militia. [\s]

Since I'm the one harping on this argument, I'll point out that I'm not saying yr (and his) gun ownership "isn't valid," I just think it's a (best case) poor argument for owning guns and (worst case) structures violence that results in needless deaths and accomplishes little.

feel like i've been more than fair here tbh

Back