• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

It is. By a lot.

Was this just a troll post, or do you sincerely believe that it's easier to buy alcohol than a gun?

you can legally buy a handgun from a unlicensed dealer (private) at 18, if memory serves, with no background check. I believe you can get a long-gun from a licensed dealer at 18 and no age limit from a unlicensed dealer.

it is harder to get booze, absolutely!

are you sure you are not just a troll poster?

Primary argument is that I believe that an armed citizenry deters (to some small but significant extent) the overreach of Government.

I point to the UK and, more recently, Australia as examples.

Second, I come from a culture where hunting is still very much a significant part of putting food on the table. I know individuals who failed to get a deer during a year and had to seek out someone who got extra. That wasn't a one-off time; but it also wasn't every year (that I heard about). It's hard to relate how much poverty we have in our country in pockets.

From your posts, I feel like you've probably been largely insulated from it. I have not.

i grew up playing in the woods with a .22LR; I've owned handguns, shotguns and rifles though I'm down to just a shotgun and rifle at this point. I occasionally hunt as a social thing. I've been around guns and hunting my entire life. My BIL tags out and eats deer basically all year because he can, not because he needs to.

There are a handful of people who hunt to add some extra food to the table but again, that's a miniscule portion of the population and heavily regulating the use of firearms for such things is possible. MOdern crossbows are as or more effective than a rifle or shotgun at this point for most animals, if it's really about sustenance.

Guns are totally unnecessary in American life except as a pastime/hobby.

I feel like folks really just don't understand a lot of what they are talking about.

Here's a solution to what you're describing:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...S_Etsxv9zYuENcPpxMTuFnlyVHpOdqiMaAuMxEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Sdstone-Fing...cphy=9009647&hvtargid=pla-1367037346540&psc=1

Both of these can be opened in seconds by the adults who are in bed. They are biometrically keyed, so no kids.

Great. Would be nice if more people owned them to curb the rates of accidental shootings in homes.

Primary argument is that I believe that an armed citizenry deters (to some small but significant extent) the overreach of Government.

I point to the UK and, more recently, Australia as examples.

Can you say more about this?

"private gun ownership in the UK deters government overreach" is a fascinating talking point

i grew up playing in the woods with a .22LR; I've owned handguns, shotguns and rifles though I'm down to just a shotgun and rifle at this point. I occasionally hunt as a social thing. I've been around guns and hunting my entire life. My BIL tags out and eats deer basically all year because he can, not because he needs to.

There are a handful of people who hunt to add some extra food to the table but again, that's a miniscule portion of the population and heavily regulating the use of firearms for such things is possible. MOdern crossbows are as or more effective than a rifle or shotgun at this point for most animals, if it's really about sustenance.

Guns are totally unnecessary in American life except as a pastime/hobby.

Exactly right -- many in my family and my wife's family like guns. they at least admit they like guns and it isn't under some bullshit false pretense like "protection" or "hunting for food"

At the very least people should own up to why they want to own guns. They think guns are fun and they enjoy going *pew pew pew!* At that point we can have a reasonable discussion about reasonable gun control.

Because if the government wanted to take your home -- they would take it. And you couldn't do a damn thing about it no matter how many shotguns, rifles, or handguns you owned.

Great. Would be nice if more people owned them to curb the rates of accidental shootings in homes.

Yeah. Let’s outlaw any guns that aren’t biometrically keyed. I’m sure responsible gun owners can be for that. Make it happen!

guns are fun. super fun. The feeling of shooting a fully automatic gun is sort of indescribable. Everyone i've ever watched do it turns around with this ridiculous shit-eating grin. I've even watched staunchly anti-gun people get weirdly giddy doing it.

fetish for the military and fetish for self-reliance + internet is really turning into a poison pill of American culture

I don't know enough about PAs laws to speak intelligently about it. NC or WV, I've got you covered.

ok, maybe you don't even know NC laws

North Carolina law prohibits any person under the age of 18 from willfully and intentionally possessing or carrying a handgun, unless the minor:

-Possesses the handgun for educational or recreational purposes while supervised by an adult who is present;
-Is emancipated and possesses the handgun inside his or her residence; or
-Possesses the handgun while hunting outside the limits of an incorporated municipality and has written permission from a parent or guardian.

There is no minimum age to possess rifles and shotguns in North Carolina.

It is a misdemeanor in North Carolina for any person to knowingly permit a child under age 12

ok, maybe you don't even know NC laws

North Carolina law prohibits any person under the age of 18 from willfully and intentionally possessing or carrying a handgun, unless the minor:

-Possesses the handgun for educational or recreational purposes while supervised by an adult who is present;
-Is emancipated and possesses the handgun inside his or her residence; or
-Possesses the handgun while hunting outside the limits of an incorporated municipality and has written permission from a parent or guardian.

There is no minimum age to possess rifles and shotguns in North Carolina.

It is a misdemeanor in North Carolina for any person to knowingly permit a child under age 12

i was simply challenging the notion that it's harder to get a gun than booze.

Are we pretending 18 year olds don’t have easy access to alcohol ?

GUN_SCATTER2.jpg

I'd just like to add that my mother shot a rabid racoon in her yard last week.

Back