• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

if they want to stick with 'self reliance' - take all their guns and give them crossbows

Fine, allow rifles that are for hunting purposes and we'll get rid of all handguns, assault rifles, and other war toys. win win.

if you're turning to a pure force arg then you need to seriously reckon with the mass militarization of the police state and the overwhelming power of federal military armament

the idea that private gun ownership - mere ownership - presents a serious challenge to state violence is quite something

this idea that there's going to be some war and that you're going to need your guns to protect your family is ridiculous. When was the last time americans needed guns to protect themselves from a war? 1865? Do you really think someone wants to come murder you?

If there IS a war, and the government decides that they are going to take you out, a basement full of assault rifles isn't going to stop them. We are physically powerless against our government, with or without guns. If we get to a place where the government has decided to take you out - you're fucked.

That's the argument I was trying to make. The cost is worth the suppression of Government overreach and right to protect my family.

What has the government ever done to "overreach" into your life?

Also, how can your guns protect your child when they are school and you are at work and somebody shoots up their school?

I think I've gone on record before about being a gun owner who would be in favor of banning all guns except what are easily termed and understood as single shot shotguns and rifles, but the idea that no guns serve any functional purpose in society suggests a pretty strong urban/rural disconnect. There is a sizable portion of the population that I would venture still use firearms in a functional capacity on a relatively regular basis. And while the deer comment was made somewhat in jest, you would seriously have an issue with exploding population in white tail deer if you removed hunting from the equation.

Yeah, I've got no argument for handguns. They're not as effective as a shotgun for home defense and they have no real purpose other than murdering people or being fun to shoot on the range.

this idea that there's going to be some war and that you're going to need your guns to protect your family is ridiculous. When was the last time americans needed guns to protect themselves from a war? 1865? Do you really think someone wants to come murder you?

Yep. That's a disingenuous argument. The need for guns for food is also a terrible argument, as others here have already pointed out.

I think I've gone on record before about being a gun owner who would be in favor of banning all guns except what are easily termed and understood as single shot shotguns and rifles, but the idea that no guns serve any functional purpose in society suggests a pretty strong urban/rural disconnect. There is a sizable portion of the population that I would venture still use firearms in a functional capacity on a relatively regular basis. And while the deer comment was made somewhat in jest, you would seriously have an issue with exploding population in white tail deer if you removed hunting from the equation.

Could you explain the other functions for which a gun is needed?

Trust me, we feel the same.

That's why one of my first posts was reflecting about how sad it is that the divide is this deep.

What are your thoughts on the need for universal background checks, banning ghost and untraceable guns, magazine capacity limits, and red flag laws?

i now must reconsider my positions, since I apparently agree with ron wellman. ;)

The middle of nowhere rural dweller actually does need guns for some protection from wildlife but that’s the smallest absolute number and handguns are unnecessary.

under my administration we shall allow each family 2 muskets and a large cookpot

Could you explain the other functions for which a gun is needed?

At the risk of being ridiculed, for the removal of dangerous or problematic animals. I wasn't joking when I said my mom had to shoot a rabid racoon last week in her yard. I don't personally hunt because I'm too softhearted to murder things the vast majority of the time, but I've had to shoot coyotes on both my farm and my FIL's farm on occasion. I realize that these are the concerns of a country bumpkin, but they are concerns.

At the risk of being ridiculed, for the removal of dangerous or problematic animals. I wasn't joking when I said my mom had to shoot a rabid racoon last week in her yard. I don't personally hunt because I'm too softhearted to murder things the vast majority of the time, but I've had to shoot coyotes on both my farm and my FIL's farm on occasion. I realize that these are the concerns of a country bumpkin, but they are concerns.

again, totally reasonable. also totally miniscule portion of the American population and an extremely narrow use case.

I've dealt with coyotes and copperheads around our house. For the copperhead, I hit it with a shovel. For the coyotes, we called a dude that trapped them. I'm trying to imagine an animal situation where one would need a gun, and I can't come up with one. For the rabid raccoon, just call animal control, right?

And while the deer comment was made somewhat in jest, you would seriously have an issue with exploding population in white tail deer if you removed hunting from the equation.

let's get some cougars (not your mom) back on the east coast to help with this

Back