• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Norvell

We're still going to struggle mightily vs FSU, IMO

The difference in recruiting class rankings will be evident in our FSU game.

FSU receivers will garner more catches vs us. Why? Many of their drops this season have been due to either an anticipated hit or an actual hit. Our D will be so off the receiver in most plays, such intimidation will not figure in.

The dream of LOWF is alive in 80s deacs

The dream of LOWF is alive in 80s deacs

It’s hard for some older guys to adjust. It’s a change in mindset. In my four years at Wake (70s), we won 10 games total. And that was bookended by two 1-10 seasons.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving our FB success. But I’ve seen both sides.

It’s hard for some older guys to adjust. It’s a change in mindset. In my four years at Wake (70s), we won 10 games total. And that was bookended by two 1-10 seasons.

I lived thru those times too.
It makes our current situation that much better.

Early 70's Wake had success. ACC championship. Back to back winning seasons. National publicity from "Brian's Song." But Cal Stoll left and the success went away.

Early 70's Wake had success. ACC championship. Back to back winning seasons. National publicity from "Brian's Song." But Cal Stoll left and the success went away.

1979 was good, but the in between 70's was pretty bad wasn't it.

Mid '80's for me and no better than mostly 4-7 seasons for Al Groh.

I think Groh's high water mark was 6-5, with wins over the other Big 4 members. No bowl game though, since that was before there were so many.

I think Groh's high water mark was 6-5, with wins over the other Big 4 members. No bowl game though, since that was before there were so many.

I have vivid memories of Al Groh's team starting 5-0 and then choking against App State to secure bowl eligibility in the last game of the year. Feel free to Google Me Wrong but I can still hear the impromptu parade in my mind's ear after that 5th win (in that stretch of road in front of what is now the law school).

I have vivid memories of Al Groh's team starting 5-0 and then choking against App State to secure bowl eligibility in the last game of the year. Feel free to Google Me Wrong but I can still hear the impromptu parade in my mind's ear after that 5th win (in that stretch of road in front of what is now the law school).

I think you're thinking about a Dooley team, I don't think Groh ever started 5-0.

Edit to add: 1987, Bill Dooley's first year we started 5-0, finished 7-4, but no bowl game. 1988 is the year the tie at the end of the year ruined our bowl bid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Wake_Forest_Demon_Deacons_football_team

Last edited:

In 1988, under Dooley, not Grobe, WF was 6-4 heading into the finale against the Apps. There were Independence Bowl reps in the end zone with their red jackets ready to extend a bid to the 7-4 Deacs with the win over the Apps. IIRC, this was before CFB OT; App scored late, but rather than going for the win, they kicked the PAT for 34-34 tie. The Indy Bowl reps skipped out of Groves, and the Deacs' bowl drought continued until 1992, when Dooley's Deacs did secure an Indy Bowl invite, and beat Oregon despite giving up two pick sixes (almost never happens).

I think you're thinking about a Dooley team, I don't think Groh ever started 5-0.

You may well be right. These were formative years and they were a cruel tease. Watching Wake football start 5-0 and make the Elite Eight (where have you gone, Danny Young? I believed that this would keep happening and that we really would get them next year. Still waiting). For many reasons, I really hope Wake delivers on a special year in 2021.

You may well be right. These were formative years and they were a cruel tease. Watching Wake football start 5-0 and make the Elite Eight (where have you gone, Danny Young? I believed that this would keep happening and that we really would get them next year. Still waiting). For many reasons, I really hope Wake delivers on a special year in 2021.

1984 was the Elite Eight year in hoops. I remember being up late watching our Sweet 16 win over DePaul to get there. Young made the drive and layup to win in overtime.

1984 was the Elite Eight year in hoops. I remember being up late watching our Sweet 16 win over DePaul to get there. Young made the drive and layup to win in overtime.

You remember who hit the shot to send it to OT? (this was re-enacted somewhere between 800 and 1,000 in my driveway as a kid).

In 1988, under Dooley, not Grobe, WF was 6-4 heading into the finale against the Apps. There were Independence Bowl reps in the end zone with their red jackets ready to extend a bid to the 7-4 Deacs with the win over the Apps. IIRC, this was before CFB OT; App scored late, but rather than going for the win, they kicked the PAT for 34-34 tie. The Indy Bowl reps skipped out of Groves, and the Deacs' bowl drought continued until 1992, when Dooley's Deacs did secure an Indy Bowl invite, and beat Oregon despite giving up two pick sixes (almost never happens).

Yeah it was a chicken shit call for ASU. Not only did the tie cost us a bowl bid, but I believe it kept them out of the 1-AA playoffs that year.

In the 1992 Independence Bowl, we were down 29-10 in the 3rd quarter and came back to win. We finished the year ranked #25, one of only 3 times that we have finished in the Top 25.

Okay, I'm going to have to look up which Groh (weird how close that is to Grobe) team flirted with adequacy. Mike Elkins, maybe? All of this from childhood memories so please forgive the error. That part about the Indy Bowl bid tracks perfectly with my emotional scar tissue.

eta: Here it is. 1984, 6-5. State title. I seem to recall Wake lost on a FG at the horn to open the season (can't recall if it was missing a winning one or giving up a losing one). I do recall that my little brother was scared of the fireworks.

G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L T Streak Notes
1 Sep 8, 1984 Sat Wake Forest Virginia Tech Ind L 20 21 0 1 0 L 1
2 Sep 15, 1984 Sat Wake Forest Appalachian State Non-Major W 17 13 1 1 0 W 1
3 Sep 22, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ North Carolina State ACC W 24 15 2 1 0 W 2
4 Sep 29, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ Maryland ACC L 17 38 2 2 0 L 1
5 Oct 6, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ Richmond Non-Major W 29 16 3 2 0 W 1
6 Oct 13, 1984 Sat Wake Forest North Carolina ACC W 14 3 4 2 0 W 2
7 Oct 20, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ Virginia ACC L 9 28 4 3 0 L 1
8 Oct 27, 1984 Sat Wake Forest William & Mary Non-Major W 34 21 5 3 0 W 1
9 Nov 3, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ Clemson ACC L 14 37 5 4 0 L 1
10 Nov 10, 1984 Sat Wake Forest @ Duke ACC W 20 16 6 4 0 W 1
11 Nov 17, 1984 Sat Wake Forest Georgia Tech ACC L 7 24 6 5 0 L 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Only Wake fans could turn a thread about a loser FSU coach into reminiscing about bad Wake teams.

Back