• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Norvell

Only Wake fans could turn a thread about a loser FSU coach into reminiscing about bad Wake teams.

Apologies; simply trying to provide context for just how well these guys are playing now. One might go so far as to say they are outperforming the historically competitive standard.

Okay, I'm going to have to look up which Groh (weird how close that is to Grobe) team flirted with adequacy. Mike Elkins, maybe? All of this from childhood memories so please forgive the error. That part about the Indy Bowl bid tracks perfectly with my emotional scar tissue.

In 1984, Wake finished at 6-5 with wins over UNC, Duke, NCSU, App St, Richmond, and William & Mary. Foy White was the QB and Michael Ramsuer and Topper Clemons were the RBs. 1986 might have been Groh's best team. Finished 5-6 with close losses to State (by 4), Virginia (by 2), UNC (by 10), Clemson (by 8), and Duke (by 2). Mike Elkins was the QB, Daryl McGill Was the RB, and James Brim was WR.

In 1984, Wake finished at 6-5 with wins over UNC, Duke, NCSU, App St, Richmond, and William & Mary. Foy White was the QB and Michael Ramsuer and Topper Clemons were the RBs. 1986 might have been Groh's best team. Finished 5-6 with close losses to State (by 4), Virginia (by 2), UNC (by 10), Clemson (by 8), and Duke (by 2). Mike Elkins was the QB, Daryl McGill Was the RB, and James Brim was WR.

Throw in Chip Rives and Greg Scales - that was a fun team to watch on offense.

You remember who hit the shot to send it to OT? (this was re-enacted somewhere between 800 and 1,000 in my driveway as a kid).

Oh yeah, I remember Rudd hitting the little base line jumper to send it to OT.

[h=1]Opinion: Firing Norvell now will only set Florida State back even further[/h]https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-seminoles/2021/9/20/22682532/firing-norvell-now-will-only-set-florida-state-back-even-further-transition-attrition

There’s currently a significant and growing groundswell from the Seminole fanbase calling for FSU’s coaches to be fired, including head coach Mike Norvell. They cite Willie Taggart getting fired after less than two seasons, and have some evidence to support their cause. While the various similarities and differences between their tenures have been picked apart, Taggart went 9-12, a winning percentage of 42.9 percent.
At the time, Taggart’s tenure had been described as a nightmare, one that Florida State could not afford to let continue. Rumors of short hours from the staff and rampant disorganization dogged the program, while Boosters were not following through on pledged donations and Taggart’s 6-9 start was the worst fifteen-game stretch for FSU since 1973-74.
But Norvell is currently 3-9, a winning percentage of just 25 percent. Florida State’s 0-3 start is the worst for the program since Bobby Bowden’s first season in 1976. The ’Noles are one of only two Power 5 teams this season (Arizona being the other) that are still winless after Week 3.

But, unfair as it might be, Florida State cannot fire Mike Norvell.
The program cannot afford another transition class setting the roster back another four years. It can’t afford the stigma and instability that will come with sacking two head coaches in four years. It also can’t monetarily afford it as it is reportedly still paying Taggart’s buyout, somewhere in the range of $3.5 million this year. The school and Boosters can’t cover Taggart’s buyout, Norvell’s buyout and the buyouts of his staff, and also hire a new competent head coach of “FSU quality” and an entirely new staff, much less still have money left over for recruits and other necessities.

After FSU’s lackluster 35-14 loss to Wake Forest on Saturday that dropped the ’Noles to 0-3 on the season, it became necessary to take a hard look at the Seminoles’ roster. What we found shows it’s undeniable that FSU’s transition classes have led to significant attrition that has robbed this roster of talent.
But it’s more than that; the issues actually go back at least as far as Jimbo Fisher’s 2016 recruiting class in Tallahassee, and more attrition from Norvell’s transition class should be expected.

From here, they make the case that Jimbo's hasty departure and firing Taggart robbed them of the experience other programs have due to the new redshirting rules and COVID eligibility changes.

Pretty sure the UVA loss was homecoming, and Groh hastily sent Wilson Hoyle out to kick a field goal to win it in the last minute. The kick was certainly makeable, but there was confusion on our sideline as we had plenty of time to run a play to get the ball on center field, and at least everybody in the stands and presumably Hoyle figured that was the plan, as he and the kicking team barely had time to get the kick off before taking a delay of game (which in retrospect would have been better, as a lesser angle was more important than the extra distance IIRC). Anyway, he missed it which was bad enough, but when asked in the after-game presser about not taking a t.o. or getting the ball in the center, Groh totally put it on all Hoyle; both the missed kick and the loss. I never felt like Groh was a good fit culturally for Wake, but that day sealed it for me.

Pretty sure the UVA loss was homecoming, and Groh hastily sent Wilson Hoyle out to kick a field goal to win it in the last minute. The kick was certainly makeable, but there was confusion on our sideline as we had plenty of time to run a play to get the ball on center field, and at least everybody in the stands and presumably Hoyle figured that was the plan, as he and the kicking team barely had time to get the kick off before taking a delay of game (which in retrospect would have been better, as a lesser angle was more important than the extra distance IIRC). Anyway, he missed it which was bad enough, but when asked in the after-game presser about not taking a t.o. or getting the ball in the center, Groh totally put it on all Hoyle; both the missed kick and the loss. I never felt like Groh was a good fit culturally for Wake, but that day sealed it for me.

You can take the hurried approach and miss, like Groh did, and fail as a coach.

Or you can take the Lobo/Grobe slower approach and take 3 plays to pound the ball up the gut, gain 1 yard total, to set up the "chip shot" 47 yard field goal by Swank to beat UVA in Charlottesville. I mean he DID make a few from 50+ yards at NC State, which was awesome, so 47 is a gimme.

That would have been a sweet win.

Oh well, why are we reliving this as we are 3-0 and in a few weeks, Forbes will have our hoops program back to relevancy?

I tried to get the topic back to Norvell and y’all sad sacks didn’t bite.

Wonder what Cutliffe was before the Northwestern win? #29 seems low.

Anybody read the FSU boards? It’s entertaining. Lots of different opinions about what to do, but everybody is unhappy and nobody thinks it’s going to get better anytime soon.

Anybody read the FSU boards? It’s entertaining. Lots of different opinions about what to do, but everybody is unhappy and nobody thinks it’s going to get better anytime soon.

My opinion is they need to stick with Norvell and allow for some consistency in recruiting and philosophy to happen. Norvell is a good coach and I think given time he can be successful there. It's just that you're dealing with a fan base that thinks a guy should be able to come in fix things almost immediately. Last season was such a mess with Covid , he's really just in his first real season. He's got to have time to build a roster and despite all the "FSU still has great talent" talk, they really don't I think. Recruiting fell off Jimbo's last couple of years and I think he could see the writing on the wall and bailed, Taggert's short tenure was a mess (not sure it was completely his fault, since Norvell seems to be in the same boat) and it's going to take time to fix it. Firing a guy who really hasn't had a chance to fix things and running out and hiring another coach (who won't be a huge name unless it would be Prime, who is completely unproven) probably just prolongs the problems.

Norvell isn't going anywhere and all this conjecture by a bunch of message board idiots is only making his job harder.

Norvell isn't going anywhere and all this conjecture by a bunch of message board idiots is only making his job harder.

This is true. Most mostly the person making his job harder is himself.

If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) Hoyle was a walk-on and our only kicker. Groh had to apologize to him to get him back to practice on Monday. Someone in Hoyle's family (father? grandfather?) made a huge gift to the med school/Baptist Hospital and I think a wing is named for him.

If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) Hoyle was a walk-on and our only kicker. Groh had to apologize to him to get him back to practice on Monday. Someone in Hoyle's family (father? grandfather?) made a huge gift to the med school/Baptist Hospital and I think a wing is named for him.

Hoyle was a very good kicker for us as I remember.

Back