• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Injury updates

Agreed. Feels like the injury #narrative is being blown out of proportion given how terrible we were from the jump.

This right here.

If only Lyle Hemphill had another 2 weeks to prepare for Army (4 weeks total), the Black Knights would have likely been held to the low 40's.

Yep, and I think three men got injured during the game, not 12 and not 16. Garnes, Tyler Williams and Zion Keith. None of them are starters. We just sucked period.

Chelen Garnes going down on a cut block absolutely pissed me off. Example A for why we shouldn't play those types of teams. Garnes is a big piece of our success and the reason we won the Cuse game, aside from @ catch in OT.

Not to be a downer during a special season so far, but I still think it’s fair to question our S&C program. Yet another season where we seem to have more injuries than average to key players. Clemson and State have a ton too though.

Can't blame Brandon Hourigan anymore.

Chelen Garnes going down on a cut block absolutely pissed me off. Example A for why we shouldn't play those types of teams. Garnes is a big piece of our success and the reason we won the Cuse game, aside from @ catch in OT.

We need to stop scheduling games with Army/Navy. Absolutely no benefit to playing them. None.

Not to be a downer during a special season so far, but I still think it’s fair to question our S&C program. Yet another season where we seem to have more injuries than average to key players. Clemson and State have a ton too though.

do we really have more injuries than average? (legit question). wonder if injuries are just commonplace, especially these days as programs are super cautious with player health.

for all the complaining about cut blocking, that was the gripe against the Deacs for years not too long ago

do we really have more injuries than average? (legit question). wonder if injuries are just commonplace, especially these days as programs are super cautious with player health.

and programs run 85+plays per game as opposed to 60-ish plays per game (granted WF tries to run more than average numbers of plays)

I believe the distinction is cut blocks at line of scrimmage vs. cut blocks 15 yards downfield

also, a lot of differing intel out there regarding the actual injuries sustained during the bye week/game vs. Army

hope we are reasonably healthy for Duke

Yeah, a lot of "pots" on this thread.

The comeback at Kenan in 2001 saw Julius Peppers running from our linemen in second half worried his knees were gonna get taken out. So- yes- Let’s hold off criticizing Army but that doesn’t mean we should schedule them voluntarily- it’s not they are a conference foe we have to play.

The scouting report is out on our defense. He’s a good player but not our best player on D. That’s Redd.

Respectfully, so far this year Masterson is clearly our best on D Followed by Bothroyd.

As regards Redd ( I was at Michie ), yea the pick 6 was critical to winning the game but 2 things about it - someone lost coverage of the intended receiver who cycled out of the backfield and became WIDE OPEN. Had the kid not thrown a looping floater which gave Redd time to leave his apparent man on coverage ( about 8-9 yards away ) and race to that open kid, we averting yet another big gain by Army.

Redd got burned TWICE for TD catches on single coverage by the heretofore nearly nonexistent Army passing game. After the second he got royally chewed out by Hemple(sp) who was so livid he heaved his clipboard into the grandstand wall behind the bench. Is Redd a 5th year guy? Getting raked like that should not happen to a vet like him.

But yea, a nice pick 6.

Respectfully, so far this year Masterson is clearly our best on D Followed by Bothroyd.

As regards Redd ( I was at Michie ), yea the pick 6 was critical to winning the game but 2 things about it - someone lost coverage of the intended receiver who cycled out of the backfield and became WIDE OPEN. Had the kid not thrown a looping floater which gave Redd time to leave his apparent man on coverage ( about 8-9 yards away ) and race to that open kid, we averting yet another big gain by Army.

Redd got burned TWICE for TD catches on single coverage by the heretofore nearly nonexistent Army passing game. After the second he got royally chewed out by Hemple(sp) who was so livid he heaved his clipboard into the grandstand wall behind the bench. Is Redd a 5th year guy? Getting raked like that should not happen to a vet like him.

But yea, a nice pick 6.

The TDs were against Jasir Taylor, not Redd.

On the int, the TE came all the way across the formation on the wheel route. You are correct, somebody lost coverage (I think Andersen, but I am not positive), but it was also a well-designed play It's tough to follow somebody through that much traffic. But Redd made an unbelievable read.

But yea, a nice pick 6.

It was a fake punt. I doubt that anyone was assigned to cover the intended receiver.

Did Jacorey Johns or Will Smart play?

Ja'Corey did not -- seemed like he didn't make the trip.

Will Smart got 15 snaps.

Also, re: above: It is laughable to confuse Ja'Sir Taylor and Traveon Redd.

And it was in the open field and no where near the QB sack. :mad:

Jacory Johns, DJ Taylor, Gavin Holmes, Nasir Greer, Evan Slocum did not play a snap.

Tyler Williams, Luiji Villian, Zion Keith and Chelen Garnes all were injured early. Ryan Smenda was ejected for targeting.

Back