• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Injury updates

Break the contract with Army and stop playing the service academies.

It’s a nightmare and losing Garnes and Johns sucks. Who will we lose next year?

I watched their offense closely and Army players kamikaze into our guys right as our guys are making the tackle. And the cut blocking is why Clawson was a “pile of nerves” on the sideline.

Break whatever contract Buddie swindled you into ASAP.

To be clear here: Johns wasn't lost because Army cut-blocked him. He was injured either at Syracuse or during the two weeks between games, because he (like DJ Taylor) didn't even make the trip.

To be clear here: Johns wasn't lost because Army cut-blocked him. He was injured either at Syracuse or during the two weeks between games, because he (like DJ Taylor) didn't even make the trip.

That’s a little better, but I still stand by my assertion that we should stop scheduling Army and Navy.

NEXT Man up.

So what frosh or RS frosh do we see taking advantage of opportunity and making a name for themselves in coming Sats. I’ll start with Jasheen to make more plays like he did against army if not for 12 players on field.

That’s a little better, but I still stand by my assertion that we should stop scheduling Army and Navy.

Oh yeah, I gotcha. Just wanted to make clear because my tweet earlier didn't say it.

The Garnes injury should be Exhibit A to your point.

So what frosh or RS frosh do we see taking advantage of opportunity and making a name for themselves in coming Sats. I’ll start with Jasheen to make more plays like he did against army if not for 12 players on field.

Kendron Wayman is the one to know; he was decent in spots in fall camp but has just been odd man out in the DE rotation. Only played 11 snaps against Army but graded out well (according to PFF).

This will depend somewhat on whether Jasheen Davis is playable at drop end in Wake's normal defense or if that was just the defense that was installed. If JD can play drop end, you'll probably see a lot of Bothroyd-Vilain-JD rotation.

Kendron Wayman is the one to know; he was decent in spots in fall camp but has just been odd man out in the DE rotation. Only played 11 snaps against Army but graded out well (according to PFF).

This will depend somewhat on whether Jasheen Davis is playable at drop end in Wake's normal defense or if that was just the defense that was installed. If JD can play drop end, you'll probably see a lot of Bothroyd-Vilain-JD rotation.

Good to know. Will be keeping my eyes open for #35.

The negative in our incredible season, for me, is the knowledge that if we do achieve enough success to make a national stage, how embarrassing it will be? If Army puts up 50+, what in the world would most top 15 teams roll up on us!? And they will have the D to slow down our O. (Clemson has for a decade and I think they will this year, especially since we won't be able to hear.)

Wisconsin running up 40+ on our D 10 months ago and they could only put 20 on this Army D.

I'm elated with our record but I'm dreading a bowl matchup with a truly quality program....PSU, Michigan, Auburn, OSU, etc...

It is just frustrating for Clawson to have been here as long as he has and we still have such a horrendous D.

Such an idiot.

Random note not worth another thread. Wayman got me thinking about WR Waydale Jones who was in the 2017 class with Sage and Roberson and transferred after the 2019 season. He's at Texas State and hasn't gotten on the field this year due to injury.

We should have just tried to keep sneaking a 12th man in the field. What did we have to lose?

Oh yeah, I gotcha. Just wanted to make clear because my tweet earlier didn't say it.

Thanks. We are becoming a "top 15 program" and will be moving forward and have no business playing these cut blocking teams.

I re-watched the game, for pleasure, but had to stop, since I had not seen or paid attention to little dudes, like 5'8 guys, flying off the ground and crashing into our guys WHILE THEY WERE ENGAGED IN A TACKLE. As in, I am about to tackle this runner, or already have my hands on the runner, but oh shit, there's another 5'8/170 pound missile drilling me in the hip, knees, ribs. I saw that at least 3-4 times and had never seen that before.

Seems complete BS.

Cancel the Mike Buddie agreement and stop playing Army.

Thanks. We are becoming a "top 15 program" and will be moving forward and have no business playing these cut blocking teams.

I re-watched the game, for pleasure, but had to stop, since I had not seen or paid attention to little dudes, like 5'8 guys, flying off the ground and crashing into our guys WHILE THEY WERE ENGAGED IN A TACKLE. As in, I am about to tackle this runner, or already have my hands on the runner, but oh shit, there's another 5'8/170 pound missile drilling me in the hip, knees, ribs. I saw that at least 3-4 times and had never seen that before.

Seems complete BS.

Cancel the Mike Buddie agreement and stop playing Army.

Agreed. That gets called a chop block unless it’s a service academy as the refs seem to let it go.

An important distinction to make: This is not a Mike Buddie agreement nor is it a John Currie agreement. The Buddie connection might create pressure to honor it, but neither of them entered into it.

This is a Wellman fuck up. This contract was signed years before either AD was in their current role. Wellman is the one who signed a contract that has us play Army four more times in the next five years.

An important distinction to make: This is not a Mike Buddie agreement nor is it a John Currie agreement. The Buddie connection might create pressure to honor it, but neither of them entered into it.

This is a Wellman fuck up. This contract was signed years before either AD was in their current role. Wellman is the one who signed a contract that has us play Army four more times in the next five years.

And now I love Wellman even more.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Just to confirm, you can no longer even cut block outside the tackles, right? Didn't that rule get updated a few years ago? I watched Army literally do that exact thing on 50+% of their offensive plays.

ETA: I looked it up. You cannot cut block outside the tackle box or more than 5 yards downfield. Army, no joke, did this 20+ times with no penalty called. How is that even possible?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/30/17472936/block-below-waist-rule-ncaa

Last edited:

So the assertion here is Garnes was injured by an illegal block that the officials ignored or somehow didn’t see? The latter would seem implausible given where the contact took place.

And BTW, #97 for Army on D should have been flagged twice for unnecessary roughness....once for decking Hartman from behind on a late hit and the other for rag-dolling Whitehurst by the neck after being blocked from pursuing a running play.

If those cut blocks were illegal, I imagine Clawson wouldn't have said this the way he did:

"... any time you play that option, you’re going to come out of it next week not healthy. Just those – again, it’s just the offense and everything they do is legal, but those cut blocks, you always come out of that thing banged up and ankles and whatever ..."

Back