• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State at Wake Forest, 3:30 Saturday on ESPN

wakelaw13

Reaction score
It's time to get into mid-season form on the game threads. This is the first real test of the 2021 campaign. I fully expect that we get the week 1 version of FSU as opposed to the week 2 version. It's weird to even say this, but I'm sure Clawson isn't letting anyone look past FSU.

Wake is a 6.5 favorite, and the total is currently 61.5. Give me FSU and the under. I expect both defenses to play a solid game, and both offenses to rely fairly heavily on the running game. I think Wake wins 27-24, running the clock out in the 4th with a rotation at RB.

Our secondary might be the heroes in this one, letting our linebackers and rover to stack the box. FSU's passing game has struggled whether it's Travis or Milton. Together, they've thrown 4 interceptions in 2 games. Milton went 18/31 for 133 yards against Jacksonville State. Travis went 0/3. Their wide receivers appear to be not good.

Really excited to be attending this one in person. Go Deacs!

People are saying this may be the biggest game of Clawson's tenure at Wake Forest.

After Wake wins by 2 touchdowns this weekend, UVA in Charlottesville will be the biggest game of the Clawson era. Win both of those and you're looking at 9 wins.

FSU's offense was unbelievably horrible against Jacksonville State last Saturday. After giving up 517 yards and 31 points to UAB in Week 1, JSU held FSU to 331 yards and 17 points on Saturday. McKenzie Milton was particularly terrible with 31 passing attempts for 133 yards and a pick. BTW, Jordan Travis, who started against ND, played and was 0 for 3 passing. So, the Noles have not solved their QB issues.

The one thing that FSU did well on Saturday was run the ball as the Noles ran for 196 yards and 5.3 ypc. The week before FSU ran for 264 yards against ND. If the WF defense can avoid giving up explosive runs; FSU should have trouble scoring. Nole RB Jashaun Corbin has been electric this year running for 253 yards in two games and averaging 8+ ypc. Emphasis has to be on stopping the Nole rushing attack. While the competiton has been low so far, WF has tackled well in the open field early. Will be key on Saturday.

FSU's offense was unbelievably horrible against Jacksonville State last Saturday. After giving up 517 yards and 31 points to UAB in Week 1, JSU held FSU to 331 yards and 17 points on Saturday. McKenzie Milton was particularly terrible with 31 passing attempts for 133 yards and a pick. BTW, Jordan Travis, who started against ND, played and was 0 for 3 passing. So, the Noles have not solved their QB issues.

The one thing that FSU did well on Saturday was run the ball as the Noles ran for 196 yards and 5.3 ypc. The week before FSU ran for 264 yards against ND. If the WF defense can avoid giving up explosive runs; FSU should have trouble scoring. Nole RB Jashaun Corbin has been electric this year running for 253 yards in two games and averaging 8+ ypc. Emphasis has to be on stopping the Nole rushing attack. While the competiton has been low so far, WF has tackled well in the open field early. Will be key on Saturday.

I think they will try to wear us down with their run game, not having a guy like Tyler Williams hurts, but at least we do have some depth up front for a change.

We just need to go out and score a lot of points.

I think they will try to wear us down with their run game, not having a guy like Tyler Williams hurts, but at least we do have some depth up front for a change.

Wake will need everyone of the D-line guys. The FSU O-line is one part of the team that is close to the good old days.

Wake will need everyone of the D-line guys. The FSU O-line is one part of the team that is close to the good old days.

Umm, their QBs have been hit on 58.3% of their drop backs. That is AWFUL and 3rd worst in America. I guess they must be a lot stronger at run blocking.

Umm, their QBs have been hit on 58.3% of their drop backs. That is AWFUL and 3rd worst in America. I guess they must be a lot stronger at run blocking.

I hope that trend continues Saturday. I also hope that Milton doesn't get re-injured behind that line, kid has been through enough.

Calling Jasheen Davis.
How many QB hits and sacks will we get Saturday?

They gave up 5 sacks to ND and none to JSU. They ran for 5.5 yards/carry against ND. That's pretty impressive.

I think we'll be stacking the box and daring them to throw.

*** I'm sure Clawson isn't letting anyone look past FSU.

***Go Deacs!

I understand intellectually that this needs to be said and is an appropriate sentiment, but those of us that remember the 1990s will never be able to fully process this thought. I remember when ACC teams used to sell their FSU home games back to FSU and go play on a "neutral" site in central Florida. Full-on quitting before kickoff. What must their fans be thinking now?

I understand intellectually that this needs to be said and is an appropriate sentiment, but those of us that remember the 1990s will never be able to fully process this thought. I remember when ACC teams used to sell their FSU home games back to FSU and go play on a "neutral" site in central Florida. Full-on quitting before kickoff. What must their fans be thinking now?

They're not happy. The fans I know seem to understand how far they are from competing with UF. Norvell seems to have burned up any trust that he's the guy to do it.

Looks like McKenzie Milton is starting for the Noles on Saturday.

They're not happy. The fans I know seem to understand how far they are from competing with UF. Norvell seems to have burned up any trust that he's the guy to do it.

I get it. I don't think they have an easy path out of this mess (although I expect we'll hear "Join the SEC!"). Welcome to mediocrity ad infinitum, Noles.

They have a basketball team worth watching, at least through the end of February. They've become the 1990s Wake Forest athletic department.

eta: Putting aside the schadenfreude for a moment, I truly feel bad for that FSU player that proposed on the field as JSU is celebrating their walk-off, 59 yard house call in the background. What do you do if you're that dude in that moment? "Uh...nevermind."

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor guy probably wanted to propose after a win. He may have had the ring last week read to propose after beating ND. Now he doesn't know where there's a win on the schedule.

Back