• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

September 14

One of my Wake classmates didn't show up in the fall, and I knew he had planned to return. He did a year later. He had gotten 366 in that summer's draft lottery and dropped out of school. He stayed home to get his year of exposure to the draft and then returned to finish.

My own "so low you're gonna go" draft number significantly impacted my career and what I ended up doing. I never went to Nam but keeping that from happening was a major effort.

I don't know. I also heard that rumor, but some response said that wasn't the Lambda Chi's but the Alpha Sigs or someone else. What I remember hearing was upon the return trip from the Spring Formal at Tanglewood or Bermuda Run, or somewhere out there, there was an accident which unfortunately caused someone's death. I think that seems more likely.

Now one of my brothers did bring home one of the strippers from the Stokes County Fair (AKA King County Fair), but that was just a one night thing, and long before the hammer fell.

The Stokes County Fair/King County Fair/Hair Fair was amazing in our era. It got wilder in the last few days of its yearly run, culminating in a no holds barred Saturday night. I remember watching a stripper "smoke' a cigarette in a most unusual way. The best thing I witnessed was when a student successfully wrestled an ape (orangutan, IIRC), winning $50. The carny operator invited the kid back for a double or nothing rematch on Saturday night.

The matches took place in a cage about 8x30, with a wall with a door separating the human from the ape. The kid was furnished with a jumpsuit and an old leather football helmet. When he was ready, the ape was let in. The packed audience could see both sides of the cage, while the kid could only see through the door until the ape was let in. The ape for the rematch was twice the size of the first one and was in a bad mood. He started swinging on the bars and beating on the door before the door was opened. The look on the poor guy's face was absolute fear. When the door was opened, the ape immediately ripped the helmet off the kid's head and started beating him about the head and shoulders with it. Then he tore the jumpsuit off the kid along with some of his clothing. The carny guy stepped in before the kid was really injured. The whole match lasted about 15 seconds.

The Stokes County Fair/King County Fair/Hair Fair was amazing in our era. It got wilder in the last few days of its yearly run, culminating in a no holds barred Saturday night. I remember watching a stripper "smoke' a cigarette in a most unusual way. The best thing I witnessed was when a student successfully wrestled an ape (orangutan, IIRC), winning $50. The carny operator invited the kid back for a double or nothing rematch on Saturday night.

The matches took place in a cage about 8x30, with a wall with a door separating the human from the ape. The kid was furnished with a jumpsuit and an old leather football helmet. When he was ready, the ape was let in. The packed audience could see both sides of the cage, while the kid could only see through the door until the ape was let in. The ape for the rematch was twice the size of the first one and was in a bad mood. He started swinging on the bars and beating on the door before the door was opened. The look on the poor guy's face was absolute fear. When the door was opened, the ape immediately ripped the helmet off the kid's head and started beating him about the head and shoulders with it. Then he tore the jumpsuit off the kid along with some of his clothing. The carny guy stepped in before the kid was really injured. The whole match lasted about 15 seconds.

Probably the same stripper on her "'72 Comeback Tour"; had added shooting ping-pong balls by that time. Ended up back at the DKE house; remember photos of her with nothing on but a DKE jacket and thong.

Second this. I love the idea of a time when you could just straight up fight a fucking orangutan for money.

nothing wrong with a little monkey knife fight in international waters!

It's possible that RJ was just a giant piece of shit, and

I tried to tell you fine folks this from our first interaction, during which he called me a Nazi. It only took you 8 years of me being right before he was banned.

@bluefish for where you got mad, no one was mocking you, they were mocking RJK. That said, your story is completely made up and even netflix wouldn't let it be categorized as historical fiction. But also you grew up in a traumatic time so it's understandable that you would want to spread your glorious message to this gaggle of libtard douchebags who have never even gotten into a fistfight.

I made an inquiry of the LXA brothers that remained after losing their charter and being removed from campus during a homecoming visit. The university and the fraternity both documented a "long list of unacceptable behavior over an extended period of years" to justify their decisions. Apparently, they lacked our sense of humor.

@bluefish for where you got mad, no one was mocking you, they were mocking RJK. That said, your story is completely made up and even netflix wouldn't let it be categorized as historical fiction. But also you grew up in a traumatic time so it's understandable that you would want to spread your glorious message to this gaggle of libtard douchebags who have never even gotten into a fistfight.

Opinions vary.

I can't vouch for bluefish's specific story but I can definitely vouch for the fact that there was a cage and an orangutang, and you could go in and fight him for money at the King County Fair. My freshman year we were taken by a couple of upperclassmen in our suite, one of them was the boards' famous former participant, whom y'all know as bobknightfan. When I was at Wake, freshmen were not allowed to have cars. So if you wanted to go anywhere, upperclassmen would have to take you. The truth be told, most of us could not have afforded cars anyway. In any event, they simply told us, "You have to see it to believe it," and several of us freshmen went. The stripper shows were pretty wild, especially the last show. But there was also the cage match with the orangutang. I remember seeing a group of Wake students trying to get Robert Grant, an All-America defensive lineman at Wake, to take up the challenge. Grant was a huge guy with incredible strength and quickness. But after considering it for a few minutes, he finally declined. So, I never actually got to see a fight between the ape and his challenger. One little detail will add a bit of color to the whole scene. The barker, who was trying to shill up business for the fight and was also the handler for the orangutang, was missing the middle and ring finger from the hand in which he held the microphone. Great advertisement.

Back