• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
if only the Frenchmen had strung up all those greasy whalers instead of marooning them

Barca, pray tell, what does your typical sushi order consist of?

well if we're talking today, Asheville doesn't have many great options, so I'm just getting some maki rolls. Probably some eel, yellowtail, spicy tuna, etc. whatever looks good. when I lived in DC I was going for whatever was freshest/recommended by the chef. the types of places palma hits should have no problem with that.

the best experience I had was the omakase counter at Sushi Taro where when we got to the sushi courses the chef opened up a bunch of boxes of seafood to show me all he had and asked what I wanted and I just had him go to town with whatever he recommended. I love mackerel, any kind of shellfish, hamachi, and more.

CT Redux: Prayers for young Mr. Malfoy

Pretty sure at least one of those is toro (the most expensive sushi on most menus).

Toro with truffles. When I first started sitting at the sushi bar I’d generally order one of everything. Then I realized mackerel is just meh and kinda basic so I just order multiples of the better stuff, generally anything that ends with belly.

If I am home alone with a newborn, am I allowed to do a Peloton class with the baby in a bassinet in the room or is that bad parenting?

Toro with truffles. When I first started sitting at the sushi bar I’d generally order one of everything. Then I realized mackerel is just meh and kinda basic so I just order multiples of the better stuff, generally anything that ends with belly.

I love the fatty stuff too, but have to mix in some leaner cuts. Some of my more off the radar favorites I've had recently have been Tasmanian Sea Trout (like a milder, better Salmon), Japanese Sea Bream, Hamachi Belly, and Sablefish.

Favorite sushi spot I've ever been is Takashi in Salt Lake City. They always have a massive wait, but you can belly up to the cool former post office bar next door while you wait. With their Omakase, you just tell them how much you're wanting to spend and they'll craft you a menu from that. The bartender suggested $75, which was more than enough for me with 17 pieces of nigiri/sashimi and a couple hand rolls. At a fancy place in NYC/LA, it would have easily been $200-300+.

October is great overall, but the Monday after the time change is just about the worst day of the year

that's a november complaint

If I am home alone with a newborn, am I allowed to do a Peloton class with the baby in a bassinet in the room or is that bad parenting?

you have both a peloton and a bassinet? Obviously the solution is to have your nanny/slave take the baby for a turn around the garden in the pram while you're working out in the Peloton room.

I love the fatty stuff too, but have to mix in some leaner cuts. Some of my more off the radar favorites I've had recently have been Tasmanian Sea Trout (like a milder, better Salmon), Japanese Sea Bream, Hamachi Belly, and Sablefish.

Favorite sushi spot I've ever been is Takashi in Salt Lake City. They always have a massive wait, but you can belly up to the cool former post office bar next door while you wait. With their Omakase, you just tell them how much you're wanting to spend and they'll craft you a menu from that. The bartender suggested $75, which was more than enough for me with 17 pieces of nigiri/sashimi and a couple hand rolls. At a fancy place in NYC/LA, it would have easily been $200-300+.

these sound more upscale than the buffet at rusans or the conveyor belt place

I thought I'd be able to do this, lol. Definitely was not able to pull it off in practice..

well if we're talking today, Asheville doesn't have many great options, so I'm just getting some maki rolls. Probably some eel, yellowtail, spicy tuna, etc. whatever looks good. when I lived in DC I was going for whatever was freshest/recommended by the chef. the types of places palma hits should have no problem with that.

the best experience I had was the omakase counter at Sushi Taro where when we got to the sushi courses the chef opened up a bunch of boxes of seafood to show me all he had and asked what I wanted and I just had him go to town with whatever he recommended. I love mackerel, any kind of shellfish, hamachi, and more.

the one food weakness of AVL, no great sushi spots

these sound more upscale than the buffet at rusans or the conveyor belt place

There's a still a time and a place for the lunch buffet at Rusans. Honestly, the sushi isn't bad at all. It's more the clientele of 300 pounders loading sides of spicy mayo onto their plates that has made me avoid that place.

supposedly the best sushi spot in DC these days is in the Trump Hotel of all places, it's an offshoot of a place in NY

Believe it or not, Wilkesboro is severely lacking in sushi options.

The sheer volume of sushi consumed at Rusans makes me think it has to be fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back