• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
you've just got to be comfortable knowing that less than a generation after you die, nothing you've done will have mattered.

Most of what I do doesn't matter about 5 minutes after I've done it.

I've long since given up on being remembered for my work. Especially when I've seen how my industry treats its people.

Yeah I don’t do my job to create monuments celebrating my efforts. To quote Don Draper, “that’s what the money’s for”

if Ozymandias wanted to be remembered maybe he shouldn't have built his statue way out in the middle of nowhere duh

do you people have strong feelings about your legacy

I really don't. But I do think that the idea of a second or final death is eerie. "You die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time." Not having kids, I'm aware that my second death will likely come quicker than a lot of people.

physical death I understand as a pretty common marker of death

but the "second death" seems arbitrary since you likely had an impact beyond people saying your name - compared to a world where you never existed

you live forever in that way

I had a newborn cow named in my honor in an African village, not a great tribute as that thing has long be slaughtered but maybe by now I’ve become a deity or something and my name will live forever (until climate change wipes out everyone’s existence)

I really don't. But I do think that the idea of a second or final death is eerie. "You die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time." Not having kids, I'm aware that my second death will likely come quicker than a lot of people.

When I die the universe ceases to exist anyway because you’re all just manifestations of my consciousness so why the hell would I care what happens when I’m gone.

physical death I understand as a pretty common marker of death

but the "second death" seems arbitrary since you likely had an impact beyond people saying your name - compared to a world where you never existed

you live forever in that way

i always think about this whenever i pick up a rock way out in the wilderness and chuck it. like, man that rock probably hasn't moved for like a million years and it wont move again for another million except for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back