• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sushi almost needs its own category when it comes to dining out because it’s so easy to rack up a huge bill. And yeah if you’re adding a bottle of wine that changes the equation quickly.

Regarding Palma’s question, I don’t think I’d change. Eating great food is one of my favorite activities, even better if I’m out with people I enjoy. We’re all gonna be dead sooner than we want anyway.

Which is why I spend so much of my little time on this planet posting on these boards obviously.

We pay $70 a week for a woman that comes for about 6 hours once a week.

We pay another $50 a week to a woman that comes once a week and does all of our laundry and folds it.

When we go out as a family, it's usually something like 50 bucks if we go fast food as a family of six. However, once a month I take the kids to a new restaurant. For August it was Korean, that was about $300. The month before that was Japanese, and it was about $350. For September, it was barbecue and it was about $180.

I try to take wife out once every 3 weeks. I know that seems ridiculously infrequent, but with scouts and sports we really just don't have the evenings free. So every 3 weeks that's an additional $200, $280 if you count the sitter.

I guess that brings up a good question. What do you guys pay babysitters? We've actually had to let sitters go because they got too expensive. When I was a kid, I babysat. Most families would pay me $5 an hour. The one rich banker family would pay me $15 an hour, but I would clean their house after the kids went to bed.

These days, it feels like I pay between 10 and $20 an hour. Heavy lean towards the 20 side. It seems like the number of teenage girls who are willing to babysit has radically decreased.

With as many good restaurants as Asheville has I wish we had one really super legit sushi spot. Sure I enjoy some of the places in town with big maki rolls full of stuff and sauces. But would love a high end place.

I guess that brings up a good question. What do you guys pay babysitters? We've actually had to let sitters go because they got too expensive. When I was a kid, I babysat. Most families would pay me $5 an hour. The one rich banker family would pay me $15 an hour, but I would clean their house after the kids went to bed.

These days, it feels like I pay between 10 and $20 an hour. Heavy lean towards the 20 side. It seems like the number of teenage girls who are willing to babysit has radically decreased.

You didn't let them go. They let you go...

Plama does excruciating cost/benefit math on some weird stuff but spends $150 on takeout

LA sucks

In kory-speak, I am a skilled code-switcher: I can both live the life of a poor and converse with the elite.

That said, I've never paid anybody to clean my house. And I haven't paid for food delivery in years and years.

We used to have someone come do the deep cleaning stuff like every one or two months pre pandemic, maybe $80? These days we find enough time throughout the day working from home to do enough to keep the place passably clean ourselves. Laundry is also done during the weekday. No big deal.

In kory-speak, I am a skilled code-switcher: I can both live the life of a poor and converse with the elite.

That said, I've never paid anybody to clean my house. And I haven't paid for food delivery in years and years.

How do you make it through the pandemic without ever having delivery?

Plama does excruciating cost/benefit math on some weird stuff but spends $150 on takeout

LA sucks

all those minimum wage hikes you folks in the country like end up costing real americans some real money when they're actually implemented.

How do you make it through the pandemic without ever having delivery?
I walk or drive to a restaurant and pick up the food myself. I still give a generous tip, but I save on the crazy delivery fees!

Ah. Speaking of cost/benefit analysis..... I don't have a car, so can't do that.

Do you cook?

I do about 95% of the cooking, breakfast lunch and dinner, in my household.

2 years ago I would have thought $150 for take out was insane, but I’ve done that a couple times during the plandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back