• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at VIRGINIA 7 pm FRIDAY, ESPN2

The last time WF played in C'ville was 2012. WF won 16-10. Josh Harris rushed for a TD in the first quarter and K Josh Hedlund kicked 3 FGs. UVA held WF to 213 total yards, but still lost. Deacs have won 4 straight over UVA, but before that, the Hoos had won 21 of 22 between 1981 and 2007.

Chad Hedlund

Man, Josh Harris in the Clawfense would have been fun to watch. Josh Adams too for that matter. Hopefully Lobo has perpetually bad hemorrhoids.

that Swank miss was a real killer - Al Groh also lost a (home) game to UVA on a missed fg at the horn

only been to see the Deacs in Charlottesville once and Swank missed a 40-something yard FG that would have won it at the end of the game

that game was soooo annoying.

1/ believe lobo discovered the shovel pass and ran it way too often (and with hugely declining effectiveness)
2/ total brainfart touchdown given up at the end of the first half
3/ even though we had plenty of time, we settled on a 40+ yard field goal.

although slightly less annoying than:

2/ the home loss against BC (believe it was the last game of the season) when swank missed a fg and then somehow let dominique davis march down the field after not moving the ball all game
1/ the home game against navy when riley threw four picks

huge game on friday, though. i'm hopeful we'll be able to keep them one-dimensional and our dbs will do a better job than unc at stopping their intermediate routes. wonder if andersen will play.

[/B]

I just discussed that in the Norvell thread; curious to hear if your recollection is similar to mine.

Yeah, we're in sync. The situation is not all that different from leading by 3 in hoops with 10 seconds to play, and we've lost from that position playing it both ways under various coaches.

Groh sent Hoyle out there with no TO and then blamed the execution. As was pointed out...Grobe went the other way, running the ball up the middle (but I believe still leaving Swank on a hash) and running down clock, taking timeout, but not trying to advance beyond a 47-yarder.

On the one hand, if you've practiced that situation, there's a benefit for just having a young kicker execute and not have to think too much. On the other hand, Groh was an asshole.

Looking back, Groh did recruit some pretty strong skill position players.

Keeping the topic on UVA, Groh's kid seemed to relish hammering WF as a UVA player under Welsh.

Quotes from Bronco Mendenhall's presser today:

"We've played them twice in my tenure here and they've beaten us both times in really hard contests, and the week is just a very difficult one to prepare for," said Mendenhall. " The story has already passed from the older players to the younger players, so this isn't -- we really -- I don't know how the rest of the world views Wake (Forest), but in the ACC they're a good football program, and they win a lot, and they do it at a place that's pretty challenging.

"We have plenty to work on, and this opponent we're viewing just like we always have because they've beaten us twice. They've earned our respect," said Mendenhall.

Quotes from Bronco Mendenhall's presser today:

"We've played them twice in my tenure here and they've beaten us both times in really hard contests, and the week is just a very difficult one to prepare for," said Mendenhall. " The story has already passed from the older players to the younger players, so this isn't -- we really -- I don't know how the rest of the world views Wake (Forest), but in the ACC they're a good football program, and they win a lot, and they do it at a place that's pretty challenging.

"We have plenty to work on, and this opponent we're viewing just like we always have because they've beaten us twice. They've earned our respect," said Mendenhall.

Classy remarks by a coach who I believe Clawson has a lot of respect for.

Coen King will miss the first half, he's the one who had the targeting penalty.

More important to track injury situations of Joey Blount and Nick Grant in their secondary.

Blount and Grant are both expected to play Friday.

Blount and Grant are both expected to play Friday.

Wayne Taulapapa is in concussion protocol, apparently. Not that I expect their run game to be particularly important on Friday night.

The last time WF played in C'ville was 2012. WF won 16-10. Josh Harris rushed for a TD in the first quarter and K Josh Hedlund kicked 3 FGs. UVA held WF to 213 total yards, but still lost. Deacs have won 4 straight over UVA, but before that, the Hoos had won 21 of 22 between 1981 and 2007.

Wasn't this the win that we secured when they fumbled a punt late

Walker crushed them last year, I’m expecting big things from our RBs

‘07 Swank miss
‘08 we got revenge, crushed them
‘12 forced a bunch of TOs
‘16 late comeback to launch us to a bowl (also the game I had a shitton of deacon bourbon in my car)
‘20 Walker show

Seems a tough task to fix 700 yards of offense laid on you in 6 days.

UNC started 3 backup OL and still ran 400 yards. UVA dbs small AND slow. I really like our chances to be first ACC team to beat another ACC team on the road. I don't think UNC defense is good, but UVA's is terrible at it.

that Swank miss was a real killer - Al Groh also lost a (home) game to UVA on a missed fg at the horn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Groh waited to send the kicking team out and the kick was hurried. Wake still had a time out that Groh didn't use.

Back