• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at VIRGINIA 7 pm FRIDAY, ESPN2

I mean, does anyone here NOT think UVA is gonna put up a ton of points?

They'll put up points, but so will we.

I don't feel great about the game...wouldn't surprise me if it's a one score swing on either direction.

I think the Deacs go 7-1 in our first 8 games, and this could e that 1 we lose.

Depends on how you define a ton. I think we could reasonably hold them to like 21-24 points. My expectation is they will score in the 31-38 range and I'll be disappointed if they score 40+. I think our defense is better than (at worst roughly equal to) UNC's defense, and if their starting RB is going to be out they will be even more one dimensional than that game which they scored 39 in

ideally: they quickly are a one-dimensional offense and we force a couple picks or a big sack or two and can get a 2 TD lead. uva scores a lot in the 2nd half but we maintain enough distance.

ideally: they quickly are a one-dimensional offense and we force a couple picks or a big sack or two and can get a 2 TD lead. uva scores a lot in the 2nd half but we maintain enough distance.

right - even in this ideal situation, UVA scores a lot

comes down to our O delivering and winning the turnover battle -- I'd be fine with some high-risk, high-reward plays on the ball from our DBs

UVA is going to have to boat race us if they want to win. Their defense is trash and we'll get some stops, so I think they're going to need to pile it on early to make it a game.

Their run defense was a mess against UNC and if we're clicking in the RPO they're in a for a long day since we'll be keying on linebackers that can't stop normal running plays.

Now that I've typed this out we'll lose 6-3.

At least we are facing this team this year and not in recent years where our secondary was not nearly as deep/experienced/healthy. I have to believe we can at least slow down their passing game with Carson/Taylor/Redd/Greer all healthy and playing.

The total is 68.5. I like the under, partially because I think we find success in the running game and chew up clock. That's another reason I like our chances - their defense will be on the field a lot longer than ours will, and in the 4th quarter we will have fresh RBs and a fresher defense.

68.5 and UVA -4 translates to a 36-32 game. Would be disappointed if WF surrendered that many points.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we surrendered 31 points but I’d expect us to put up 50+.

This is the toughest game that Wake will have been played so far. UVA's QB looks pretty good. This will be a good test for how good Wake's defense really is.

Woods looks like a matchup nightmare for us. Going to be a gorgeous day and cool football evening, worried that the crowd and home field advantage will be enough to edge us out in what should be a shootout. Might need an early turnover or two and put them in a catchup position to take this one. Should be a great game though.

looks like Armstrong is running the ball a lot less this year, which is better for our slow LBs

What everyone is leaving out is the fact UNC defense is not good. The whole football sports world is under rating the Wake defense. I think we're pretty good.

I think our d is fine. Certainly better so far than in years past. I am not yet a believer in our offense, at least in comparison to UNC's offense.

I expect UVa's defense to play better, if for no other reason than it can't play worse. I assume that, like most Wake conference games, this one will be in the balance into the 4th quarter.

i think this is going to be a really good and fun game. our defense is going to have to bring their lunch boxes as they are going to be challenged, a lot. i do think we can move the ball though, so as many have mentioned above, the 4th quarter should be a doozy!

Definitely the thing I’m most concerned about is the early jitters that come from playing in a prime time road game with a relatively raucous crowd whose team tends to put up big offensive plays. That will certainly get a defense on its heels early if they aren’t careful. We will have to weather a couple of early waves of big play strikes without losing composure.

Back