• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at VIRGINIA 7 pm FRIDAY, ESPN2

DeacAssured

Reaction score
Deacs have the first game away this season and a real test for the current state of the program.
Winning in Charlottesville is always a challenge. SI reports DEACS are 4 point underdogs and the total points for game are at 67.

Last edited:
UVa couldn't run the ball against a fairly average UNC defense but their QB put up amazing numbers. Our secondary will be challenged.

UVa couldn't run the ball against a fairly average UNC defense but their QB put up amazing numbers. Our secondary will be challenged.

Hopefully we can limit points, if not yards. I remember the Phillip Rivers Heisman tour game where he put up crazy numbers, but we won something like 42-24. Same thing with the 2006 Boston College game, Matt Ryan put up big numbers, but we won 21-14.

UNC rushed for 400 yards against UVA.

So will UVA try to correct this by stacking the box and leaving a lot of 1 on 1 coverage on Wake's receivers? Or do they decide the 400 yards was an anomaly and do the same thing and decide Wake doesn't have the line and backs to do what the baby blue did.

I vote that they don't respect what Wake did on the ground vs FSU. No real long runs, just a steady grind with lots of 3-10 yard gains.

My guess is they think they can stop Wake's running attack better than FSU did and they don't want to see any 40+ yards plays from Sam to Roberson, Perry, Morin et al. The Beef Boys are going to need to put in another strong effort and the running backs should be busy, as they were against FSU.

I originally favored UVA, but I'm starting to talk myself into Wake winning.

UVA gave up 392 yards rushing at 8.3 YPC to UNC this weekend. Granted, UNC has run the ball well in their other two games, going for 4.9 YPC against VT and 5.0 against GAST. But 400 yards and over 8 per carry is A LOT. I think UVA has a slightly better offense and we have a significantly better defense.

What’s the injury situation with UVA’s secondary? And isn’t there a player out the first half for targeting?

We just need to score 40 and hope for the best.

only been to see the Deacs in Charlottesville once and Swank missed a 40-something yard FG that would have won it at the end of the game

Hopefully we can limit points, if not yards. I remember the Phillip Rivers Heisman tour game where he put up crazy numbers, but we won something like 42-24. Same thing with the 2006 Boston College game, Matt Ryan put up big numbers, but we won 21-14.

my first and second to last home games as a student

I originally favored UVA, but I'm starting to talk myself into Wake winning.

UVA gave up 392 yards rushing at 8.3 YPC to UNC this weekend. Granted, UNC has run the ball well in their other two games, going for 4.9 YPC against VT and 5.0 against GAST. But 400 yards and over 8 per carry is A LOT. I think UVA has a slightly better offense and we have a significantly better defense.

Maybe, but I don't think we've really seen our offense play all out for 4 quarters yet. Certainly not in the first 2 games and yesterday after our first possession in the 2nd half where we went up 35-14, I think it became more about possession time. Don't get me wrong, I think Armstrong is really, really good and it's going to be a very tough game, but I think if we need to try put up lots of points we've at least got the ability to do it.

What’s the injury situation with UVA’s secondary? And isn’t there a player out the first half for targeting?

Coen King will miss the first half, he's the one who had the targeting penalty.

More important to track injury situations of Joey Blount and Nick Grant in their secondary.

One starter, Nick Grant missed the UNC game with an undisclosed injury. Another starter, Joey Blunt hurt his collar bone during the game. UNC had 5 TDs passes in 21 attempts; UVA gave up 14.6 yards per pass attempt. UNC averaged 10 yards per play. UNC never punted (UNC had 12 possessions: 8 TDS, 1 for 2 FGs, 1 INT, 1 possession at the end of the first half).

That's unbelievably horrible as in Alabama v. FCS opponent range. That said, Mendenhall is a solid coach; he will have his team's attention this week.

Also, while not known as an intimidating environment, UVA is 18-2 at home since the start of the 2018 season. UVA has played a lot better at home than on the road in recent years. Tough spot.

I'll be in attendance. A very good friend is a UVa season ticket holder and invited me to go. Gonna hit a couple tailgates and drink some Ragged Branch bourbon. Hoping the Deacs can get the W!

https://virginiasports.com/news/2021/09/19/hoos-play-to-mixed-reviews-in-loss/

His team faces a major challenge, Mendenhall said, but “that’s what life is about. There’s no time to feel sorry or do anything other than reflect, learn, recommit and play better. And we play Friday night and then we play [Sept. 30 at Miami] on a Thursday night. So, yeah, the clock’s ticking. It’s a fast turnaround.” Jackson said: “This one hurts, but we got to fix it and we’re going to attack next week. That’s the mindset right now. Put it behind us and we got to attack this week. It starts in practice, we just gotta get it going and get everybody’s heads up.” The Cavaliers lead the series 34-16, but the Demon Deacons have won the teams’ past four meetings.

UVA has a good quarterback. Probably a game where both teams score but UVA builds a early 14-17 lead and holds on
UVA 48
Wake 33

only been to see the Deacs in Charlottesville once and Swank missed a 40-something yard FG that would have won it at the end of the game

Same. May or may not have ended up in jail the night prior to the game, too. Fun weekend.

The last time WF played in C'ville was 2012. WF won 16-10. Josh Harris rushed for a TD in the first quarter and K Josh Hedlund kicked 3 FGs. UVA held WF to 213 total yards, but still lost. Deacs have won 4 straight over UVA, but before that, the Hoos had won 21 of 22 between 1981 and 2007.

Back