• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

As you guys are posting, he didn't really say anything all that out of line. It's typical press conference blather. But I don't have to like it.

And if/when we hear from Dave Clawson on Duke's hiring of Elko, I'd expect nothing by effusive praise... Not whatever that was from Elko.

I found it pretty irksome that he referred to us as “the other one” while sucking off ND. Anyways, we can start by pounding the A&M defense in a few weeks.

I found it pretty irksome that he referred to us as “the other one” while sucking off ND. Anyways, we can start by pounding the A&M defense in a few weeks.
I thought the “other one” was meant for Texas A&M, not Wake, but I don’t remember the exact lead in to that comment.

That’s how Clawson referred to Duke in his initial presser. And we loved him for it.

Yeah. I remembered some dig at Duke.

If you all are being pissy about Elko’s presser, the comment had its intended impact.

I mean what do you want him to say, that he hopes Duke football can one day be something like what Wake football is right now? The man has to try to recruit players for Duke football, and one of Duke's most common opponents in recruiting both in recent years and probably in future years is Wake. Talking about how successful Wake has been recently only makes it more difficult for him to convince players to go to Duke instead of go to Wake.

He opened the press conference thanking Dave for giving him a shot as a young coach.

Clawson coaching tree:

Elko at Duke
Clark Lea at Vandy

Guessing NW's and Stanford's next coaches will be former Clawson assistants as Dave will have cornered the market on coaches at small selective private schools in a Power V conference.

Duke has plusses over us as we do over them. Their football program has nothing to do with those plusses-- higher US News ranking and the notoriety created by the basketball program -- but Elko would certainly be wise to attempt to cash in on those.

I'd be skeptical Elko can get Duke to the heights someone like Stanford has reached, but from his comments it sounds like that's more or less what he's aiming for

Clawson coaching tree:

Elko at Duke
Clark Lea at Vandy

Guessing NW's and Stanford's next coaches will be former Clawson assistants as Dave will have cornered the market on coaches at small selective private schools in a Power V conference.

It will be interesting that next season we will play two teams with head coaches who were coaches with Clawson at Wake Forest at one point in time.

Until 9 days ago Duke had been to the ACCCG more recently than we had.

I mean anyone can go from the Coastal (and they all have). Our path is much more difficult.

Elko is probably right the this career plan for this stop is much more akin to him at ND than Clawson at Wake. Get in, get cash, get the fuck out.

Mehhh this seems like the press clipping his quotes and trying to start shit. I want to see the actual transcript and the full context of what he said.

Either way, he coaches Duke now so he is dead to me. They are going to be trash next season. Have fun going 2-10 with your "brand"

I watched the presser live. Except for thanking Clawson early on, he shit on WF. Three questions related to his time at WFU and Grobe/Clawson. He said it was lazy to be a developmental school, that you should do some of that but also get the elite players with Duke’s “brand.” And that Duke wasn’t a similar school because of the “brand.” Never said the words Wake Forest. Dude seems to have forgotten where he cut his teeth and has let assholes Kelly and Jimbo rub off on him. Dude would be coaching in the Ivy League if not for Clawson and working for him at WFU.

It's almost like he's trying to win the press conference at Duke.

Y’all are taking this way too personally. He’s treating us like a rival coach does. Listen to how Clemson and USCe talk about each other or Ohio State and Michigan. He knows we recruit the same kids.

Y’all are taking this way too personally. He’s treating us like a rival coach does. Listen to how Clemson and USCe talk about each other or Ohio State and Michigan. He knows we recruit the same kids.

Imagine being offered by WF and choosing Duke instead.

He gave a huge shoutout to Clawson before anything else. Of course he’s going to talk up Dook and their “brand”, he’s their head coach and it’s his job. However, I will swiftly point to him that their “national brand” only helps them in basketball recruiting.

I have a feeling that Elko will be a good head coach. He’ll lead them to bowl games in year 3 & 4, and then promptly bolt to South Carolina/ Nebraska/ Stanford/ Northwestern. He’s always looking for the next big move

Back