• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Anything is possible, but don't see Clawson at Michigan State. Understand that they have had good start to the season, and managed to get in the CFP once, but that school has lots of issues. Penn State would be a possibility, but they don't even have an opening right now.

FWIW, Clawson is hot name right now because WF is unbeaten and ranked. If WF has a magical 12-2 or 11-3 type of season (note that would include an ACCCG appearance), he deservedly would be a candidate for every opening in the country. If WF had that type of season, then god bless Coach Clawson and I wish him well. If WF goes 9-4 and plays in the Military Bowl, then I don't see the caliber of school offering him, which would be needed to draw him away from WF. Right now, I'm just loving ride, and if an incredibly successful season means WF might lose a great coach, I will take that any day.

Don't disagree with you or Ph re: Michigan State. Perhaps a poor example, but it does fit the midwest / B1G profile that I think Clawson might ultimately move to. Miami & VT are likely to fire their coaches, as well... Clawson wouldn't go to either of those places, but they might also lead to other openings that are more attractive to him.

I think Dave Clawson is a perfect fit here at Wake, but his resume at Wake simply isn’t impressive enough to warrant a much better job. He’s taking low 3 star recruits and winning 40% of his ACC games and 2-3 cupcake games a year. I haven’t seen anything from his scheme or his recruiting that would be much improved with more resources. He’s not a big charismatic personality that’s going to draw big recruits, and he hasn’t attracted an assistant coaching “tree”. He’s just really good at winning 7 games.

I don't think Clawson would run nearly as much RPO if he didn't feel like he had to in order to be able to keep linemen off his quarterback.

Many factors for anyone making a job change to consider. But in his mid 50's, Clawson may be perfectly content to make a great salary and get Wake to a bowl almost every year. Again, lots of personal things come into play.

And I see absolutely ZERO fit for Clawson at LSU. None. That bunch has the attention span of a moth.

Edit to add: For some reason, I've always thought if Clawson left it would be more for a school like Iowa or maybe Wisconsin. And I don't see either of those coming available. I think after what happened at UT, it had to leave a sour taste for the SEC.

Last edited:
I don’t pretend to know Dave personally but I do know that his elderly parents live near Charlotte, his wife is getting fantastic care at WF Baptist, and his son has been in a good school in W-S. (though he might be in college now). If we have a 10 win season, he could get more than $4 mm and pretty much have a job for rest of his career with very little pressure.

That being said, who knows what’s going to happen. Like most of us, I didn’t sleep much that night in December 2007 when Grobe was all but gone to Arkansas. Looking back, the football program would have been better off in 2008-2013 if Grobe had left. Yes- it worked out for the best as we got Dave but we had a great team coming back in 2008- last year of the Fresh Deacs. We likely could have attracted a very good coach - we were definitely a better job then than in 2013.

Program is bigger than a Coach- as discussed, big time programs go through this every year. It’s a sign of a good program. If dave wants a big time job- he’s definitely earned it and would wish him well. Don’t see him a fit at LSU or USC but Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State would be perfect for him. He can win a national title at those schools and sadly until playoff is expanded and we can consistently attract even a top 30 recruiting class- unlikely at MSD.

I think Dave Clawson is a perfect fit here at Wake, but his resume at Wake simply isn’t impressive enough to warrant a much better job. He’s taking low 3 star recruits and winning 40% of his ACC games and 2-3 cupcake games a year. I haven’t seen anything from his scheme or his recruiting that would be much improved with more resources. He’s not a big charismatic personality that’s going to draw big recruits, and he hasn’t attracted an assistant coaching “tree”. He’s just really good at winning 7 games.

I would imagine there are many AD's out there that would disagree with your assessment above.

Wake fans are always scared about losing coaches.

But he does have a "tree" that includes the defensive coordinator at A&M (and possibly head coach if Jimbo leaves) and the head coach at Vandy. Not many of his coaches actually leave to go elsewhere.

The types of programs we're talking about may believe winning 7 or 8 games a year at LOWF translates to winning 10+ games at their program. Clawson's going to win more than 7 games this year. Coaches who win 10+ games at lower tier P5's usually end up on these lists.

I don't think Clawson would run nearly as much RPO if he didn't feel like he had to in order to be able to keep linemen off his quarterback.

I agree with that, but I think it’s meaningful that in his 7th season he’s running a system to cover for his inability to recruit the offensive linemen necessary to run a tradition offense. I would compare his situation to James Franklin at Vandy, where they were recruiting like crazy and beating the hell out of teams. Franklins tenure at Vandy showed the skills he would need at a bigger program. I don’t think winning 10 games running the mesh with a bunch of 23yo linemen is a replicable situation at a middling SEC or Big 10 school.

I agree with that, but I think it’s meaningful that in his 7th season he’s running a system to cover for his inability to recruit the offensive linemen necessary to run a tradition offense. I would compare his situation to James Franklin at Vandy, where they were recruiting like crazy and beating the hell out of teams. Franklins tenure at Vandy showed the skills he would need at a bigger program. I don’t think winning 10 games running the mesh with a bunch of 23yo linemen is a replicable situation at a middling SEC or Big 10 school.

This take is off on so many levels. First, WF runs the RPO because its hard to stop. WF's highest point totals in school history are all under Clawson. WF is 2nd in the ACC in scoring this year. WF doesn't run a "a tradition (sic) offense" because traditional offense are not as effective as WF's offense.

Second, where does the offensive lineman take even come from? Justin Herron start for the Patriots. Nathan Gilliam and Phil Haynes are on NFL practice squads. Current WF OL Zach Tom will play in the NFL, and Sean Maginn and Michael Jurgens may as well.

Third,James Franklin coached at Vandy for three seasons. So, his success was as much on the backs of the recruits left behind as it was on his own recruits. Further, if Franklin recruited so well at Vandy, why did the program fall off the table when he left, and why aren't there more Vandy players in the NFL from the Franklin days.

Just crazy to me how people who have watched WF football slog through decades of WF football when the team struggled to average in 20s per game; refuse to recognize the tangible success of the offense, and cling to the notion that WF's offense would be better running a "traditional offense". BTW, for those who haven't noticed, none of the top offenses (Bama, tOSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma) are "traditional offenses" everyone runs spread and RPO based schemes now. Why because they are the hardest to defend...

100% agree. We said the same stuff about the orbit in its prime now everyone runs some form of misdirection. There are very few programs than run straight up power football anymore- it’s just not attractive to big time recruits and doesn’t yield enough points to win most of your games- hell even Nick Saban has adapted. You can scheme on offense to get around lack of personnel, Where you really need the personnel is on defense to stop it with big D-Linemen and backers- which you can more easily attract a big time program than WF.

This take is off on so many levels. First, WF runs the RPO because its hard to stop. WF's highest point totals in school history are all under Clawson. WF is 2nd in the ACC in scoring this year. WF doesn't run a "a tradition (sic) offense" because traditional offense are not as effective as WF's offense.

Second, where does the offensive lineman take even come from? Justin Herron start for the Patriots. Nathan Gilliam and Phil Haynes are on NFL practice squads. Current WF OL Zach Tom will play in the NFL, and Sean Maginn and Michael Jurgens may as well.

Third,James Franklin coached at Vandy for three seasons. So, his success was as much on the backs of the recruits left behind as it was on his own recruits. Further, if Franklin recruited so well at Vandy, why did the program fall off the table when he left, and why aren't there more Vandy players in the NFL from the Franklin days.

Just crazy to me how people who have watched WF football slog through decades of WF football when the team struggled to average in 20s per game; refuse to recognize the tangible success of the offense, and cling to the notion that WF's offense would be better running a "traditional offense". BTW, for those who haven't noticed, none of the top offenses (Bama, tOSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma) are "traditional offenses" everyone runs spread and RPO based schemes now. Why because they are the hardest to defend...

:golfclap:

How much should Clawson be rewarded for his efforts? He is a great coach and I'd like him to stay but do not want to repeat the mistake of a Jim Grobe "lifetime" contract that hamstrung us when we wanted to get rid of him.

Clawson ain't going anywhere. He stuck his toe in the jock run programs and got burned. We will get him $4 million this year. He's a Williams graduate that makes him smarter than most of you dumb fucks. Clawson retires as the Wake head coach.

I'm not sure why this is making me laugh so hard, but it is.

Mono syllibac responses make my point.

You're projecting. I offered a monosyllabic response because i wanted you to understand. I'm sure everyone from Williams is smarter than you. I also corrected your spelling mistake in my response.

Hatch and Wellman (right or wrong) were willing to open checkbook to keep Grobe for whatever it took. Wente is brand new and seems to have more academic priorities at the moment. Don’t think Currie will just bend over backwards. Would think Dave would leave not so much for money but for opportunity to take next step at bigger program. I don’t see him getting a $6 mm salary anywhere- pundits will say “down year in ACC, etc.” I have no idea but LOWF could do.

You know who runs a traditional offense? Wisconsin. They may have the worst offense of any Power V program and definitely have the worst Power V offense of any team with NFL talent. Is that really a more desired offense?

Back