• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

You know who runs a traditional offense? Wisconsin. They may have the worst offense of any Power V program and definitely have the worst Power V offense of any team with NFL talent. Is that really a more desired offense?

Remember when Jim Caldwell came in and wanted to run a traditional offense? Got the lineman to get all beefed up and how'd that work out?

You're projecting. I offered a monosyllabic response because i wanted you to understand. I'm sure everyone from Williams is smarter than you. I also corrected your spelling mistake in my response.
Totally agree. Most Williams graduates are smarter than me. And definitely smarter than SEC jock run programs.

If Clawson (or any coach) leaves Wake for a clearly better/bigger program, it's because he's leaving Wake's program in a much much better place than he found it. Combining that with the fact that we now have an AD who is more trustworthy to make quality coaching hires and the fact that our facilities are much better than when we hired Clawson, I don't think there is necessarily reason to be pessimistic about the future of Wake football should he leave.

If Clawson (or any coach) leaves Wake for a clearly better/bigger program, it's because he's leaving Wake's program in a much much better place than he found it. Combining that with the fact that we now have an AD who is more trustworthy to make quality coaching hires and the fact that our facilities are much better than when we hired Clawson, I don't think there is necessarily reason to be pessimistic about the future of Wake football should he leave.

This point should never be forgotten.

Pil you and I just disagree on everything. Franklin recruited Vandy better than any any coach before or any since - those recruits transferred away or got out of their LOIs

He took many of his Vandy recruits with him to PSU, including Trace McSorely, and Franklin has since recruited well at Penn State while his successors at Vandy have been just awful.

Regarding the Clawfense, it's much more involved than just RPO and you damn well know that. Clawson said nearly verbatim in that interview that Wake runs a "sexy" triple option because when Clawson arrived he attempted to run a traditional 3 step drop back and our offensive line couldn't pass block. Implying that we run the same offense as Alabama is very dishonest.

Pil you and I just disagree on everything. Franklin recruited Vandy better than any any coach before or any since - those recruits transferred away or got out of their LOIs

He took many of his Vandy recruits with him to PSU, including Trace McSorely, and Franklin has since recruited well at Penn State while his successors at Vandy have been just awful.

Regarding the Clawfense, it's much more involved than just RPO and you damn well know that. Clawson said nearly verbatim in that interview that Wake runs a "sexy" triple option because when Clawson arrived he attempted to run a traditional 3 step drop back and our offensive line couldn't pass block. Implying that we run the same offense as Alabama is very dishonest.

You consistently take veiled shots at the program:

7 win ceiling
Can't recruit OL
Can't run a traditional offense

Every offense is different, running a "traditional offense" is a quick way to lose games and get fired. Good coaches tweak offenses to gain an advantage over defenses and make it hard for other teams to prepare for. Bama runs RPO; tOSU runs RPO. As for Clawson's comments, they were about the 2014 team that started a bunch of freshman on the OL. Everyone remembers the ULM game when Wofford was almost murdered by ULM's pass rush and subsequent opponents that season who did the same. Yes, in 2014, Clawson said that if WF simply dropped Wofford back he wouldn't have made it through the season. 100%.

However, to apply that statement to the 2021 offense (7 years later) is ridiculous. Clawson has built the program with years of recruiting and development. He is not using Grobe's leftover recruits. Now, WF runs the scheme that he thinks is the best suited to score points and win games. He has never said anything like the 2014 statement about the current offense. In fact, Clawson and Ruggerio leave the OL on an island more than just about any team in the country. He trusts the OL.

As for McSorley, he was a 3 star recruit in HS. https://247sports.com/Player/Trace-McSorley-22462/high-school-35447/

You know who offered him before Franklin took the PSU job?

WF
UMASS
VANDY
BC
CHARLOTTE

Don't make it sound like Franklin was some kind of amazing recruiter to get McSorely to commit to Penn State over Charlotte and Wake Forest (in 2014, when WF had hit rock bottom). Your takes are so incredibly LOWF.

Last edited:
Clawson isn't leaving Wake, he's turning it into a higher level program. The best football program in NC. The Stanford of the 2020s. Stop being LOWF bitches.

His comments about running a sexy triple option wasn't 2014, nor is the personell reasoning behind the mesh-ride concept. Acknowledging the limitations and disadvantages of our program is a perfectly normal thing to do. Do you honestly believe Clawson and Ruggiero would be running these same schemes at a big time school without Wake's academic recruiting standards? I think whats LOWF is getting reflexively defensive about this.

It's no coincidence that Wakes greatest run of football success has occurred in the modern era where Wake's athletic budget is boosted by the ACC's ESPN deal where we can afford to recruit nationally, even with social media, where we now play 12 games a year (basically a bonus win every year) and we only need 6 wins to become bowl eligible (sometimes only 5). It's simply much easier now to be a mediocre program than it was during the "decades" of bad football you older fans slogged through. I'm not ungrateful - i've enjoyed watching winning football seasons, but i'm not going to pretend that Clawson is some savant because he wins more games now than Wake won during the 70s. I wish you all had gotten to experience more Dukes Mayo Bowls and Meineke Car Care Bowls.

Last edited:
I, for one, think Wake would be better off running a traditional offense like the T-Formation or the Single Wing. Even Wisconsin or Iowa's offenses have far too much of that new-fangledness to them. Now excuse me while I go yell at some clouds from my lawn!

The commentary about Clawson not having the charisma for a big job is silly. Saban isn’t exactly charming, but he’s respected. One of the best things about Clawson is that he has the self confidence to hire former HCs like Cohen and Higgins. Those two have had the most successful units at Wake throughout. Many HCs are too insecure to worry about guys like that over their shoulder. Clawson is very much a CEO type personality as a coach. He’s less loyal than Grobe, yet his staff has been preserved if they are keeping up their end of the bargain.

I, for one, think Wake would be better off running a traditional offense like the T-Formation or the Single Wing. Even Wisconsin or Iowa's offenses have far too much of that new-fangledness to them. Now excuse me while I go yell at some clouds from my lawn!

I think we should run a different offense every game. Now THAT would keep our opponents guessing.

We can always go back the ways of yesteryear, like that time in 2008 when Grobe and Lobo tried to go a whole game against Miami without throwing the ball. Traditional offense!

The commentary about Clawson not having the charisma for a big job is silly. Saban isn’t exactly charming, but he’s respected…

That’s fair. I wouldnt argue otherwise - I’ve only heard Clawsons personality described 2nd hand and from his radio show. From all accounts a very matter of fact, analytical accountant type personality who’s a little goofy when he’s happy. Perhaps the passion he shows when he’s pissed off at the refs comes through in his personality more than I know. I never would have thought to compare him to Saban though, he’s a very cocksure guy which is its own type of charm.

This is bullshit unless you define bigger and better. I can easily make the case Wake Forest Head Football Coach is the Premier job in all of college football. Some of y'all need to wake the fuck up. I blame Danny Manning for the " we cant" horse shit that permeates our Fan base..

By all means, the floor is yours on this one
Here is a start. In the last 24 months the following fan bases wanted to get rid of their coach.

Miami
FSU
NC State
UNC
UVA
Duke
Syracuse
VT
Clawson makes $3 million. No one has ever said we need a new coach. Cuz we get it. We had Danny Manning and [ ]. It's the greatest job ever.

I think we should run a different offense every game. Now THAT would keep our opponents guessing.

Lobo, is that you?

The list of jobs where a coach could win 7 or 8 games, make $3 million, and fans are still happy is pretty short.

Back