• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Is this your guess or do you have more information on Ruggiero's professional goals? The Peter Thamel article on Yahoo makes it sound like Clawson is really trying to position Ruggiero for a head coaching job somewhere.

"Still, you never hear his name come up for big job openings across the country. One reason is he has no desire to be a head coach. He looks back at his two years leading Glenville State fondly, but it’s there he also realized his strengths and weaknesses. He wasn’t built to be a head coach and spending most of his time managing a program rather than coaching players, and so he set a new career goal: become an offensive coordinator in a power conference. Clawson has helped him realize that dream in 13 years together."

https://247sports.com/Article/Wake-Forest-offense-Warren-Ruggiero-Sam-Hartman-172618913/

VT fans are claiming that they have reached out to Clawson's agent to gauge Dave's interest. Understand why they would want Clawson, but think there is minimal risk that Clawson would find VT as an attractive option. Clawson has, at most, one coaching move left, and it's not going from WF to VT. Would have to be an elite program with a clear shot at a Natty. That's not VT.

They’re also talking about Shane Beamer to Va Tech. Such dumb people.

"Still, you never hear his name come up for big job openings across the country. One reason is he has no desire to be a head coach. He looks back at his two years leading Glenville State fondly, but it’s there he also realized his strengths and weaknesses. He wasn’t built to be a head coach and spending most of his time managing a program rather than coaching players, and so he set a new career goal: become an offensive coordinator in a power conference. Clawson has helped him realize that dream in 13 years together."

https://247sports.com/Article/Wake-Forest-offense-Warren-Ruggiero-Sam-Hartman-172618913/

Realized his dream, but could be a hot commodity for a bigger program a la Elko

There is always the possibility that Clawson finds Wake to be the fit for him- that the school, ACC and maybe Winston provide him the challenge reward and atmosphere he wants to work in. If he stays, he will be the GOAT and face of Wake football far into the future. Quite a nice legacy. I am not sure he is looking to leave and i do not ever see Dave Clawson quitting on us and his program like Jim Grobe did.

Yeah, I'm just as concerned of our offensive coaches getting poached as I am about Clawson straight up leaving

Last edited:
I’m not worried about VA Tech. If it was 15 years ago- maybe - but our facilities and profile have risen considerably. Also- if you look at their recruiting classes- they have been getting less talent than we have on paper last few years. Yes- they have great fan support but hard place to recruit to- ugly campus to say the least. Beamer was successful because he was able to get enough of blue chip guys from the Tidewater and take chances on kids that had talent but maybe troubled pasts. Also- Dre Bly has gotten a lot of those guys to go to UNC in last few cycles. If I’m a kid from Hampton, I would much rather spend 4 years in Chapel Hill than Blacksburg or C-Ville for UVA. Bronco’s style of play doesn’t exactly attract blue chip talent.

I’m not worried about VA Tech. If it was 15 years ago- maybe - but our facilities and profile have risen considerably. Also- if you look at their recruiting classes- they have been getting less talent than we have on paper last few years. Yes- they have great fan support but hard place to recruit to- ugly campus to say the least. Beamer was successful because he was able to get enough of blue chip guys from the Tidewater and take chances on kids that had talent but maybe troubled pasts. Also- Dre Bly has gotten a lot of those guys to go to UNC in last few cycles. If I’m a kid from Hampton, I would much rather spend 4 years in Chapel Hill than Blacksburg or C-Ville for UVA. Bronco’s style of play doesn’t exactly attract blue chip talent.

Agree with almost all of this, but the last part. UVA has been winning and scoring a ton of points, in an exciting offense, over the last couple of seasons under Bronco. What aspect of "Bronco's style of play" would not be attractive to recruits? FWIW, outside of Clawson, Bronco is the best coach in the ACC.

VT fans are claiming that they have reached out to Clawson's agent to gauge Dave's interest. Understand why they would want Clawson, but think there is minimal risk that Clawson would find VT as an attractive option. Clawson has, at most, one coaching move left, and it's not going from WF to VT. Would have to be an elite program with a clear shot at a Natty. That's not VT.

Clawson has talked about filling the stadium and fan support. VT has that. VT can also definitely win a Natty. I also think he could have more than one more move. Dude has passion and energy. Let's enjoy him while we have him. He didn't come to Wake expecting it to be his last stop. Hopefully, he has built connections that now make him want to stay. Fan support will help our position.

Clawson has talked about filling the stadium and fan support. VT has that. VT can also definitely win a Natty. I also think he could have more than one more move. Dude has passion and energy. Let's enjoy him while we have him. He didn't come to Wake expecting it to be his last stop. Hopefully, he has built connections that now make him want to stay. Fan support will help our position.

Don’t disagree that VT on paper is a better job- just think Dave could do much better. Don’t know if it’s worth the switching costs given current state of affairs.

Don’t disagree that VT on paper is a better job- just think Dave could do much better. Don’t know if it’s worth the switching costs given current state of affairs.

I definitely agree with this.

Dave Clawson is not jumping ship intra conference to Va Tech. No way no how.

Also one of their alums corrected me one time for calling it “Va Tech.” A guy I had just met and was randomly talking sports with. Very reflexively defensive about it. So now I refer to them that way all the time. Sorry bub.

Dave Clawson is not jumping ship intra conference to Va Tech. No way no how.

Also one of their alums corrected me one time for calling it “Va Tech.” A guy I had just met and was randomly talking sports with. Very reflexively defensive about it. So now I refer to them that way all the time. Sorry bub.

What did he want it to be called?

VPISU?

I've now worked 2 consecutive jobs with VT guys on my team, and both either refer to the school as Tech or the Hokies.

I've now worked 2 consecutive jobs with VT guys on my team, and both either refer to the school as Tech or the Hokies.

We already have a "Tech." I'm not going to refer to an academic institution as "the Hokies."

Is this your guess or do you have more information on Ruggiero's professional goals? The Peter Thamel article on Yahoo makes it sound like Clawson is really trying to position Ruggiero for a head coaching job somewhere.

Higgins was head coach at The Citadel if I’m not mistaken. I think today, in his current role, he’s having a lot of fun, doing great, getting paid a decent amount and getting lots of publicity. Sounds like a good place to be.

We already have a "Tech." I'm not going to refer to an academic institution as "the Hokies."

I say Virginia Tech, I'm just telling you what they say. Tech to me will always be GT. and the only State I will refer to is NC State. Same with Carolina.

Virginia Tech has never won a national championship in any sport, ever. They've come a hell of lot closer in football than we ever have, but besides the 1999 BCS berth all I see are some fringe top-10 seasons and mostly finishing ranked 15-20. Not trying to diminish the success Beamer had there, but we need to call it what it is. They're far from a blue blood and as close to a natty in football as BC is right now. All of this is to say that anyone who thinks VT is an option for Clawson is outside their damn mind.

I'll stand by the position that Stanford, UCLA, Penn State, Notre Dame, shit maybe Iowa are the types of programs to worry about. Clawson ain't getting poached by the ACC equivalent West Virginia football.

Virginia Tech has never won a national championship in any sport, ever. They've come a hell of lot closer in football than we ever have, but besides the 1999 BCS berth all I see are some fringe top-10 seasons and mostly finishing ranked 15-20. Not trying to diminish the success Beamer had there, but we need to call it what it is. They're far from a blue blood and as close to a natty in football as BC is right now. All of this is to say that anyone who thinks VT is an option for Clawson is outside their damn mind.

I'll stand by the position that Stanford, UCLA, Penn State, Notre Dame, shit maybe Iowa are the types of programs to worry about. Clawson ain't getting poached by the ACC equivalent West Virginia football.

Agreed- Would add Michigan, USC, and tOSU to that list. Maybe Michigan State too. Don’t think he would even be a candidate for LSU unless we get to CFP.

Back