• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I’m not worried about VA Tech. If it was 15 years ago- maybe - but our facilities and profile have risen considerably. Also- if you look at their recruiting classes- they have been getting less talent than we have on paper last few years. Yes- they have great fan support but hard place to recruit to- ugly campus to say the least. Beamer was successful because he was able to get enough of blue chip guys from the Tidewater and take chances on kids that had talent but maybe troubled pasts. Also- Dre Bly has gotten a lot of those guys to go to UNC in last few cycles. If I’m a kid from Hampton, I would much rather spend 4 years in Chapel Hill than Blacksburg or C-Ville for UVA. Bronco’s style of play doesn’t exactly attract blue chip talent.
VT doesn’t have an ugly campus. The campus and stadium are really nice. Most of the fans are inbred hillbillies, but the school and its facilities are fine.

Whether or not its ugly, you could argue that Va Tech's campus looks somewhat like a larger version of Clawson's alma mater.

image.png

ndxphotos102699-Williams-Co.jpg

I've been to VT and thought the campus was nice. It's not WF nice, but it's a lot better than State.

Also whether the campus is nice has absolutely nothing to do with whether Clawson would take the VT job.

Last 10 seasons (including this season's results so far)

WF - 56 wins
VT - 70 wins

WF - 5 bowl games, 3 wins
VT - 8 bowl games, 4 wins

VT had a great run from 1995-1999 and again from 2004-2011.

Since then, they have been better than WF but a narrow gap. The first two Claw years really hurt the numbers cause Grobe stopped recruiting. If those were a typical Claw year here, the numbers would be similar.

If Claw brought VT back to double-digit wins and New Year's bowls, that would be a happy fanbase. The biggest advantage is he would get to be in the coastal, which is an easier path to the conference championship every year. Is that enough to get him excited? Maybe. If I was him, I would want to listen to VT. It wouldn't be an automatic "no" - but I don't know what he wants at this point in his career.

Last 10 seasons (including this season's results so far)

WF - 56 wins
VT - 70 wins

WF - 5 bowl games, 3 wins
VT - 8 bowl games, 4 wins

VT had a great run from 1995-1999 and again from 2004-2011.

Since then, they have been better than WF but a narrow gap. The first two Claw years really hurt the numbers cause Grobe stopped recruiting. If those were a typical Claw year here, the numbers would be similar.

If Claw brought VT back to double-digit wins and New Year's bowls, that would be a happy fanbase. The biggest advantage is he would get to be in the coastal, which is an easier path to the conference championship every year. Is that enough to get him excited? Maybe. If I was him, I would want to listen to VT. It wouldn't be an automatic "no" - but I don't know what he wants at this point in his career.

All good points. Don’t know if this is accurate data but shows Fuente “only” makes $200k more than Dave currently- would imagine we could match close to what they could:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Don’t think Dave would leave for money necessarily - more for more fanbase, sell-out crowds, and chance to win natty. VT definitely checks those boxes but it’s not like cupboard is full on talent there- definitely would be a re-building job and take a few years (maybe not as long as it look at Wake but definitely a year or two). Wouldn’t he rather walk into a situation with more talent to win immediately? Think there will be openings that are more likely to check that box- say Franklin going to USC, Michigan finally ending the Harbaugh saga, or Mel Tucker going to LSU? Those 3 programs are in much better shape than VT right now.

FWIW, I think Currie would do everything he could to not have Claw leave to another ACC team. He could live with PSU/LSU/etc. I don't think its likely Claw would go to VT, but think some are underselling the attractiveness a bit. It's season-to-season a bit easier to win and the current setup of the ACC makes it much easier to not have to deal with Clemson as regularly.

FWIW, I think Currie would do everything he could to not have Claw leave to another ACC team. He could live with PSU/LSU/etc. I don't think its likely Claw would go to VT, but think some are underselling the attractiveness a bit. It's season-to-season a bit easier to win and the current setup of the ACC makes it much easier to not have to deal with Clemson as regularly.

And Florida State as they will improve. Much more difficult division.

All good points. Don’t know if this is accurate data but shows Fuente “only” makes $200k more than Dave currently- would imagine we could match close to what they could:

Don’t think Dave would leave for money necessarily - more for more fanbase, sell-out crowds, and chance to win natty. VT definitely checks those boxes but it’s not like cupboard is full on talent there- definitely would be a re-building job and take a few years (maybe not as long as it look at Wake but definitely a year or two). Wouldn’t he rather walk into a situation with more talent to win immediately? Think there will be openings that are more likely to check that box- say Franklin going to USC, Michigan finally ending the Harbaugh saga, or Mel Tucker going to LSU? Those 3 programs are in much better shape than VT right now.

I agree, you don’t leave a job where you are firmly entrenched with indefinite security for a “maybe”. If you go all-in it’s going to be at a program that is currently performing at a high level whose coach leaves.

Josh Gattis?

Love JG as a player but would love to see him come back in 5-10 years but he needs to be a head coach first. WF is way too difficult of a job for it to be your first head coaching gig- even if you played there. Also- I’m always cautious on hiring an alum that’s not proven- it’s too painful if it doesn’t work out and typically you give an alum more time than you should.

"Still, you never hear his name come up for big job openings across the country. One reason is he has no desire to be a head coach. He looks back at his two years leading Glenville State fondly, but it’s there he also realized his strengths and weaknesses. He wasn’t built to be a head coach and spending most of his time managing a program rather than coaching players, and so he set a new career goal: become an offensive coordinator in a power conference. Clawson has helped him realize that dream in 13 years together."

https://247sports.com/Article/Wake-Forest-offense-Warren-Ruggiero-Sam-Hartman-172618913/

I thought the best part was what followed that section:
“I’ve worked for a lot of people in my time as an assistant coach that have made me miserable. I’ve had some bad experiences,” Ruggiero said. “So, when you work for someone that you have a great relationship with, you trust and is committed to excellence …”

Ruggiero pauses.

“You know, I’ve got a great job.”

Those five postseason trips have been the product of a combined 34-27 record, which is why the Deacons have been invited to decidedly off-Broadway bowls.

^ I mean, that's fair.

Partly. The off-broadway portion is also partly due to the motivation for bowls to bring in more name brand teams.

Those five postseason trips have been the product of a combined 34-27 record, which is why the Deacons have been invited to decidedly off-Broadway bowls.

^ I mean, that's fair.

The Pinstripe Bowl is as close to actual Broadway as any bowl in the history of bowls.

Partly. The off-broadway portion is also partly due to the motivation for bowls to bring in more name brand teams.

And completely ignores that his record is actually quite impressive after rebuilding the program from scratch.

Which is why the ACC is mostly off-broadway bowls. It is a self perpetuating cycle.

And the record was 30-22 in four seasons before COVID. That’s an average 2 games over .500 for traditionally one of the worst programs in the country.

I think if Clawson were to move on, Art Briles would do an amazing job taking this offense to the stratosphere.

If Clawson leaves, it will not be for another ACC school. Most likely B1G. But he's not going anywhere soon. He's not on anybody's radar in the coaching turnovers. A few media mentions is all.

I say Virginia Tech, I'm just telling you what they say. Tech to me will always be GT. and the only State I will refer to is NC State. Same with Carolina.

My father-in-law and his family all went to what they continued to call VPI. Mother-in-law's family were UVa people. The Virginia Tech people (and my wife) hated Va Tech, just hated hearing it. It's a media creation.

Clawson is getting a raise. My guess is he will be more interested in getting his staff big raises. Some of y'all just don't get this Williams product. Clawson ain't going anywhere. He's siiting in a Taj Mahal office. Marble coated facilities, can go 6 and 5 next year with no heat, doesn't get into the recruiting star wars, and admires his AD. He's got the best job in football.

Back