• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

In addition, the portal has changed everything. My guess is in the coming months Clawson gonna get pick of the litter.

Virginia Tech has never won a national championship in any sport, ever. They've come a hell of lot closer in football than we ever have, but besides the 1999 BCS berth all I see are some fringe top-10 seasons and mostly finishing ranked 15-20. Not trying to diminish the success Beamer had there, but we need to call it what it is. They're far from a blue blood and as close to a natty in football as BC is right now. All of this is to say that anyone who thinks VT is an option for Clawson is outside their damn mind.

I'll stand by the position that Stanford, UCLA, Penn State, Notre Dame, shit maybe Iowa are the types of programs to worry about. Clawson ain't getting poached by the ACC equivalent West Virginia football.

Clawson is a 5-year builder and a northeast guy by heritage. I think that narrows down the list.

Penn State, Iowa, USC, LSU, etcetera aren’t building places. Stanford, ND maybe would give him 3 years.

I think it’s more likely that he’ll stay at Wake.

At some point, he will want to stay at what he’s built and enjoy the fruits of his labor. Is that at 54 years old or will he feel like it’s time for another rebuild?

W-S need to up its foodie game if we want to keep Clawson.

I obviously have no idea whether Clawson will stay at Wake after this season... But can we please stop talking about Williams College? What in the actual fuck is that about?

I think if Clawson were to move on, Art Briles would do an amazing job taking this offense to the stratosphere.

Baggage aside- dude is 65 years old and coaching high school football in West Texas right now. I’m not gonna comment on the situation at Baylor- but he is a damn good coach. However, I highly doubt our administration is gonna give him a second chance. More likely he ends up Texas Tech as he played there. Also- don’t think he has ever left Texas.

I obviously have no idea whether Clawson will stay at Wake after this season... But can we please stop talking about Williams College? What in the actual fuck is that about?

I mean, he did already say you wouldn’t understand so

Agree. Williams is an excellent school, but Clawson graduated 36 years ago. Williams' role in Clawson success as a football coach is limited at best at this point. Know plenty of former football players from both Williams and Amherst. Generally, they are a solid lot, but there are some knotheads in the group that would f-up coaching a Pop Warner football team. It's great to a go to a college with a strong academic reputation, but it's not like that automatically results in future success.

WF alums who graduated 36 years ago became 8xdeacs.

Clawson's whole career has been building from shit to success, then bolting to a better job within 5 years. He has been at WF a bit longer - but that includes a covid season and his first 2 years when the program was left in awful shape by Grobe. No one should be surprised if this is his last year here, especially when he wins the Atlantic.

Whether VT is a good enough jump to make it worthwhile, who knows. I would guess its right on the edge.

Don't forget the X-factor, $$$. From what I could find, Claw is the lowest-paid coach in the ACC. Making significantly less than guys like Fuente has to bother you on some level.

If he stays, he's getting a fat raise from WF, and deservedly so.

After the crap we pulled with Danny Manning? This man deserves a hell of a lot more.

Then again, it appears we actually have a sane and somewhat rational AD. So, I have much higher trust in Currie's ability to work through this.

Clawson's whole career has been building from shit to success, then bolting to a better job within 5 years. He has been at WF a bit longer - but that includes a covid season and his first 2 years when the program was left in awful shape by Grobe. No one should be surprised if this is his last year here, especially when he wins the Atlantic.

Whether VT is a good enough jump to make it worthwhile, who knows. I would guess its right on the edge.

Don't forget the X-factor, $$$. From what I could find, Claw is the lowest-paid coach in the ACC. Making significantly less than guys like Fuente has to bother you on some level.

I’m pretty sure he got a significant raise when he was re-upped with an 8 year extension in early 2019. WF compensation data has been very difficult to uncover until many years down the line because they never disclose it.

I love the authority with which so many speak on Clawson, his motives, and his professional track

mack is #elite at knowing these things -- non-Clawson related but his pre-Syracuse posts were also pretty great considering how the game played out

I’m pretty sure he got a significant raise when he was re-upped with an 8 year extension in early 2019. WF compensation data has been very difficult to uncover until many years down the line because they never disclose it.

Don’t know how accurate this is but this has him 6th in ACC behind Dabo, Narduzzi, Bronco, Fuente, and Norvell- pretty dang good. Would think we would easily get him to the 4th highest paid - he is rounding errors behind Fuente and Norvell and maybe even pass Bronco. Don’t see any other ACC coaches in for a huge raise this year.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Just another who doesn't get it.

am I remembering that Narduzzi was on the hot seat not too long ago? or just making that up?

And, IIRC, Narduzzi was one of the hottest names on the carousel the year he was hired by Pitt right? Maybe it was the year after MSU made the playoff. I seem to remember there being quite a few folks here who wanted him during the coaching search that ended with Clawson.

Back