• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Michigan State lost Saban to LSU. Perhaps that’s what’s driving them.

That’s why I’ve been confused that it’s even a rumor. Maybe it’s just hokie fan wishful thinking.

I don't think VT gives a shit about the unwritten rules of the ACC

I also don't think Clawson leaves

No way Virginia tech would have suffered through Clawson's first two 3-9 seasons. He would have been gone long before he had his run of success. Hopefully clawson knows the big schools won't be patient as he builds the program his way like we were.

Wasn’t the O’Brien/BC thing kind of a mutual parting of ways? I could be wrong but it seemed like the relationship had sort of run its course and they weren’t really that interested in keeping him.

Regardless, you’d think the VT admin would probably want to avoid antagonizing a conference member like that.

No way Virginia tech would have suffered through Clawson's first two 3-9 seasons. He would have been gone long before he had his run of success. Hopefully clawson knows the big schools won't be patient as he builds the program his way like we were.

I doubt VT is in nearly as bad of recruiting shape as WF was at the end of the Grobe era. Year 3 is a fair starting point to evaluate Claw in his tenure here.

TOB leaving BC when he did still boggles me- he had his best team coming back the next year that was undefeated until November IIRC. At State- he was re-building the Amato administration - the cupboard wasn’t exactly full there save some RB talent. I think that move was more about TOB getting a retirement gig near his beach house in SC than anything else. If TOB hadn’t fallen into Russell Wilson- that tenure would’ve been awful.

I doubt VT is in nearly as bad of recruiting shape as WF was at the end of the Grobe era. Year 3 is a fair starting point to evaluate Claw in his tenure here.

7 wins in year 3 is pretty strong considering our playbook was compromised.

TOB leaving BC when he did still boggles me- he had his best team coming back the next year that was undefeated until November IIRC. At State- he was re-building the Amato administration - the cupboard wasn’t exactly full there save some RB talent. I think that move was more about TOB getting a retirement gig near his beach house in SC than anything else. If TOB hadn’t fallen into Russell Wilson- that tenure would’ve been awful.

TOB wanted a long extension and BC wanted to limit it to a year or two (BC fans had gotten tired of BC losing "big games" under TOB). My wild guess is that TOB's agent was trying to use State's interest as leverage, and BC wouldn't budge; so, TOB left for the leverage offer. Completely different situation with WF and Clawson (at this point, WF would agree to whatever reasonable demands that Clawson has).

FWIW, this is business, and Clawson's stock has never been higher; so, he can and should use the leverage to get whatever he wants from WF in the form of bumping assistant salaries, bumping his salary, facilities (which WF is already in the works), maybe even academic exceptions. Don't see Clawson leaving WF for VT, but have no problem with Clawson's agent fielding every available offer to and not rejecting them out of hand to: a) see what is out there; b) use those offers to strengthen his football program. The only currently possible scenario which could seriously tempt Clawson would be if Franklin leave Penn State for USC (or any other job). Clawson is from upstate New York (bordering PA), he played FB in New England and coached in NY, VA, NC and Ohio, all big recruiting areas for Penn State. Not predicting it, just saying that is the danger scenario in my eyes. PSU checks a lot of boxes as a program.

Dude hit like a freight train when he got to the ball carrier. That defense had it all. Unlimited swagger, mean streak and roamed sideline to sideline.

still a big bummer he flamed out in the NFL

felt like a sure thing

Also - I guarantee you that the powers that be in our conference - meaning UVA, UNC, State, Clemson- would much rather have DC at Wake than VT. While TOB was a good coach at BC- they had their best season in 2007 after he had already left- he never sniffed the top 10 during his time there. Might be a scenario that it pays dividends for us to be LOWF little brother here

Does the conference have to approve hires? I am asking if those schools have any say in who VT hires.

TOB wanted a long extension and BC wanted to limit it to a year or two (BC fans had gotten tired of BC losing "big games" under TOB). My wild guess is that TOB's agent was trying to use State's interest as leverage, and BC wouldn't budge; so, TOB left for the leverage offer. Completely different situation with WF and Clawson (at this point, WF would agree to whatever reasonable demands that Clawson has).

FWIW, this is business, and Clawson's stock has never been higher; so, he can and should use the leverage to get whatever he wants from WF in the form of bumping assistant salaries, bumping his salary, facilities (which WF is already in the works), maybe even academic exceptions. Don't see Clawson leaving WF for VT, but have no problem with Clawson's agent fielding every available offer to and not rejecting them out of hand to: a) see what is out there; b) use those offers to strengthen his football program. The only currently possible scenario which could seriously tempt Clawson would be if Franklin leave Penn State for USC (or any other job). Clawson is from upstate New York (bordering PA), he played FB in New England and coached in NY, VA, NC and Ohio, all big recruiting areas for Penn State. Not predicting it, just saying that is the danger scenario in my eyes. PSU checks a lot of boxes as a program.

Thanks for color on BC- that all makes sense. However, while it seems Franklin has mailed it in - he could also use USC as leverage to get more money and stay at PSU- he has his best recruiting class coming in next year.

Y'all make no sense. Franklin is on the big stage at PSU, but he will go to a private California university that is 4 and 5 right now and then our private school coach at 9 and 1 leaves a private school to get on the big stage of PSU. Seems easier for Wake to become Stanford of the East and beat teams like Oregon that beat Ohio State on the road. Oh. Our stadium is small. And we only spent $ 80 million on facilities.

We just announced a $ 35 million structure for football. Seems easy to make it $32 million or raise another $3 million while you are at it and raise Clawson and assistants pay. Clawson needs to be top 2 or 3 in the conference.

I still think it will be Freeze to VT. They just seem like a natural fit. If Shane Beamer were already a couple years into USC I would consider him a candidate for them but he’s not even done with season one. I doubt they would go after him so soon. Just my uneducated opinion.

Y'all make no sense. Franklin is on the big stage at PSU, but he will go to a private California university that is 4 and 5 right now and then our private school coach at 9 and 1 leaves a private school to get on the big stage of PSU. Seems easier for Wake to become Stanford of the East and beat teams like Oregon that beat Ohio State on the road. Oh. Our stadium is small. And we only spent $ 80 million on facilities.

Mack, you are amazing. I love Clawson and want him to stay forever. Further, I'm with you on WF becoming the Stanford of the East (FWIW, I was thinking more along the lines of the Notre Dame of the South). If WF can put together a string of great seasons, recruiting will continue to rise.

With all of that said, I believe that WF has one of the 5 best coaches in college football, maybe even top 3. So, at some point, top programs will be offering. Of the FEW programs that would appear to be of interest to Clawson, the only one that has a possibility of an opening after this season (and it may not happen) is Penn State. As much as I love WF football, Penn State has tradition (four big 10 titles since joining in 1993, 8 top 10 finishes since joining the Big 10 - WF has none its history), a built in recruiting edge (the premier program in a football talent rich state) and unlike WF, Penn State gets the benefit of the doubt in polls and in the eyes of the college football cognoscenti. Wish it wasn't true, but even with WF's gains, it's easier to win a Natty, make the college football playoff, coach in the Rose Bowl and recruit 5 star players at Penn State than WF. Some of those things may be attractive to Clawson. While I want WF to keep Clawson until he doesn't want to coach any more, understand that there are a handful of schools that might peak his interest.

I've said it before, but mack and Pilch's posts made me think about it again...

Franklin leaving PSU for USC makes very little sense to me. It's almost like he's expecting something bad to happen at PSU and wants to get the F out of there ASAP. Or maybe he just realizes the run of success from 2016-19 isn't going to be replicated anytime soon.

PSU is 1-3 in their last 4 games and finish with two road games (@Rutgers and @Mich St). Could finish 6-6 after going 4-5 last year.

Why is he such a hot commodity?

I don't really get it from either perspective (USC nor Franklin)

Back