• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

franklin to USC makes sense to me for whatever reason. would be interesting if gattis gets a long look at penn state. or if clawson does end up at penn state, i wonder if we would consider gattis as a replacement? (doesn't seem to fit currie's usual profile, though)

franklin to USC makes sense to me for whatever reason. would be interesting if gattis gets a long look at penn state. or if clawson does end up at penn state, i wonder if we would consider gattis as a replacement? (doesn't seem to fit currie's usual profile, though)

Love JG but he isn’t ready yet to be HC at Wake yet. Needs to go to a smaller FBS program first. Wake’s is too hard of a job to hire a coordinator - gotta hire a HC.

Love JG but he isn’t ready yet to be HC at Wake yet. Needs to go to a smaller FBS program first. Wake’s is too hard of a job to hire a coordinator - gotta hire a HC.

Agreed. But I doubt Gattis will take a G5 HC job. He should be holding out for better spots. Same with Brad White.

read somewhere on twitter basically confirming there's no secret formula for finding a successful coach. guys with "proven" HC experience at a G5 school do as well as big program assistants although just eyeballing it, looks like more of the current best coaches out there came the coordinator route (smart, dabo, jimbo, day, riley)

Agreed that most of the top HC now came up as assistants - were never HC before their previous stop. That being said, WFU isn’t Clemson, Georgia, OU, A&M, or tOSU and has a unique set of challenges. For that reason- unless we go on a tear for next decade and become a very attractive job consistently able to bring in top 15 recruiting classes- I don’t think we’re a fit for a P5 Coordinator for his first HC job. It’s too hard of a job - don’t think it’s a coincidence that Grobie and Claws were both proven HC prior to coming to MSD and could bring their whole staff. For that reason- don’t know if Josh Gattis or Brad White could be a fit for HC in foreseeable future. Seems like their both eyeing a P5 job in next five years.

You got this backwards. Clawson can win 6 at Wake next year and no one will speak of his firing. So when you really look at it, the Williams Grad would be fucking dumb as shit to go to VT.

He would be dumb as shit to stay at a place where 6 wins is good if he can go to a place where national championships are possible. We have to make sure we are the latter and not the former.

Duke should hire Will Healy currently at Charlotte. Clawson's QB at Richmond. VT should go get Gattis.

I think Franklin really liked being the only minority coach at a top tier job in the country last few years. With Mel Tucker’s ascent - that’s been threatened a bit and he can’t play that card as much. I know they want to both be the first minority coach to win a natty and while Mel Tucker is hotter commodity at the moment - Franklin has had more consistent success. I would bet Franklin benefits most from Tucker’s new contract - either at PSU or at USC/LSU.

Kill this post with fire.

Before this season Gattis was pretty firmly on the hot seat at UM.

Before this season Gattis was pretty firmly on the hot seat at UM.

p sure he still is from what I can gather

seems like folks feel they're winning with D in spite of the O

Gattis' fit at UM has always been weird -- came in talking about speed in space but Harbaugh is very conservative and run-heavy in his schemes; not sure who calls plays, but I think Harbaugh is the main architect of the offensive strategy

What resources are you referring to? Everyone has stated on multiple occasions that the only place with better facilities, etc. than us is Clemson. Does the name carry more weight in recruiting? Maybe with coaches. Most of these schools haven't been good in these kids' lifetimes.

The only advantage BC has on Wake is location.

I think Franklin really liked being the only minority coach at a top tier job in the country last few years. With Mel Tucker’s ascent…

76e590bfee88d66b08e2d7b0ffc1aaa7.gif

p sure he still is from what I can gather

seems like folks feel they're winning with D in spite of the O

Gattis' fit at UM has always been weird -- came in talking about speed in space but Harbaugh is very conservative and run-heavy in his schemes; not sure who calls plays, but I think Harbaugh is the main architect of the offensive strategy

Agreed with this. JG made right call getting that on the resume but he needs to either move on to next gig as OC or take his first head coach job in next 2 years. He doesn’t want to stay there too long and get tainted as Harbaugh either isn’t going to work out or he will throw staff under the bus

The only advantage BC has on Wake is location.

Don’t agree with this but get what you are trying to say. BC has had more success than WF has historically and is a national brand - can get kids that want to go to ND. As for a location - Not a lot of people/talent in Northeast but yes Boston is a bigger market as a whole. Can’t speak to their facilities but would imagine ours are better. I think until we have sustained success over 5-10 years- they are a better job.

Don’t agree with this but get what you are trying to say. BC has had more success than WF has historically and is a national brand - can get kids that want to go to ND. As for a location - Not a lot of people/talent in Northeast but yes Boston is a bigger market as a whole. Can’t speak to their facilities but would imagine ours are better. I think until we have sustained success over 5-10 years- they are a better job.

I disagree with BC being a national football brand - the Flutie Miracle in Miami was 37 years ago, and since then their only notable period of relevancy was two good seasons with Matt Ryan and Luke Kuechly 15 years ago.

Back