• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I agree with this - it’s kind of a look face in the mirror year for DC- has he reached ceiling at Wake and ready for next challenge or is it there is still more work to do here? Personally- I’m with him moving on if he win league title. Worst scenario is we fold against BC and he bolts.

Ugh I know. That would be terrible.

It’s a moot point because don’t see Fitz getting boot anytime soon but how does it not make sense for DC? It’s a more of a elite national school academically than Wake and has more money, resources, etc. He is more likely to get big fast smart guys there than at Wake. A lot easier to win Big Ten West rather than ACC Atlantic every year. And most importantly- Chicago is a foodie town- probably best restaurant scene in the country outside of SF and NYC. Only drawback for DC is he’s never coached in Mid-west but if he’s recruiting nationally - who cares?

I think the other schools would be viable (as though we know what he wants) but I don’t think northwestern rises to that level.

I will also say that all the short leashes this year on coaches having a bad year after some decent ones should reinforce the desire to stay at a place like WF. But that’s just me.

Completely agree. Also knowing that we compete for the CFP with a decent defense. And healthy offense.

Lots of great jobs open and the cascading effect of good coaches leaving good jobs.

Good time to grab a new DC.

I also feel like Clawson could be on the cusp of better recruiting. We seem to be getting bigger, better athletes with every class. The OLine recruits the previous two classes are proof. I’m not saying we’re gonna get 5stars. But it wouldn’t shock me to start getting 3+ 4stars in future classes. More and more guys like Grimes and Hall might start to look at us more seriously, and I think Clawson knows that.

Does Miami hold off on firing Manny Diaz with Florida already in the market? I think so - they waited too long and Florida offers many of the same perks as Miami but in a better conference, bigger school, and more recent success.

Sorry, but I refuse to believe Northwestern is a step up from Wake. Maybe (and only maybe) there was an argument there before our recent big investments in facilities, but not now. Stanford, yes, but not NWU.

There are a few jobs out there that could definitely lure Dave. None of us knows which ones they are but we can all hazard good guesses based on his past and his personality. Let's keep supporting the program as best we can and maybe we'll get lucky. If those jobs don't come open at the right times Dave might make up his mind to call it a career at MSD.

Sorry, but I refuse to believe Northwestern is a step up from Wake. Maybe (and only maybe) there was an argument there before our recent big investments in facilities, but not now. Stanford, yes, but not NWU.

There are a few jobs out there that could definitely lure Dave. None of us knows which ones they are but we can all hazard good guesses based on his past and his personality. Let's keep supporting the program as best we can and maybe we'll get lucky. If those jobs don't come open at the right times Dave might make up his mind to call it a career at MSD.

Northwestern just opened a $260m practice facility on Lake Michigan and announced stadium renovations as part of a $480m gift. Beyond the dollars, you are staring at not-so-scary ‘giants’ Wisconsin and Iowa in your division. It’s an attractive job, but Fitzgerald is well loved there—-not sure I see it opening up.

Lane in Miami would be awesome just because of his personality but also as a boost to the ACC. Would love seeing him wreck coastal division especially against UNC.

Yeah you’re going against Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin as your heavy weights to win division vs. Clemson and FSU. Again - it’s a moot point as it isn’t open and probably won’t be within the window for Dave to make a move. Fitz is NW football - played there and from Chicago - he has put his heart and soul into that program. Don’t see them letting him go unless there is a serious scandal comes up.

On paper, I think we're a better team next season assuming that Hartman comes back. We will be loaded at WR (assuming Greene returns), RB (especially with the emergence of Cooley), and have arguably the best QB in the ACC. Clawson has spent 8 years building this program into an ACC contender, so he's going to leave as soon as it is? I think it's going to take a pretty special job with a huge raise for that to happen.

I've said this before, but every time one of the big jobs considers him, every fanbase is going to see he went 7 seasons without a winning conference record. They will revolt. Florida boosters aren't waiting 8 years to be relevant on a national stage.

Does Miami hold off on firing Manny Diaz with Florida already in the market? I think so - they waited too long and Florida offers many of the same perks as Miami but in a better conference, bigger school, and more recent success.

I think Miami waits until they have a new AD in place and the AD has at least a season of football for evaluating Manny.

On paper, I think we're a better team next season assuming that Hartman comes back. We will be loaded at WR (assuming Greene returns), RB (especially with the emergence of Cooley), and have arguably the best QB in the ACC. Clawson has spent 8 years building this program into an ACC contender, so he's going to leave as soon as it is? I think it's going to take a pretty special job with a huge raise for that to happen.

I've said this before, but every time one of the big jobs considers him, every fanbase is going to see he went 7 seasons without a winning conference record. They will revolt. Florida boosters aren't waiting 8 years to be relevant on a national stage.

Well - it wouldn’t take him 8 years at Florida to start winning 9-10 games- maybe 2 or 3 but I see your point. You can have 1 mulligan year tops at job like that and then you need to get 9-10 games in year 2. I consider Mullen to be similar to Dave- from Northeast, ran an unconventional offense at a harder job and got some success, never really was recruiting 4/5 star guys and clearly wasn’t up to task of doing that and hence why he imploded at Florida.

Dave should take it if offered - it’s one of the top 5 jobs in the country and would wish him well. But given what they’re looking for - don’t think he would likely be one of their top 3 candidates and with a job like that - the top 1 or 2 candidates are going to take it.

Weird fact but Mullen and Hemphill both went to the same non-descript DIII college in Pennsylvania (Ursinus which I actually know a little bit about...and it's not great). So I put their coaching acumen at the same level: nil.

Back