• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Since I’m home sick today and have some time to kill- here is the “dream scenario” for us to be sitting well and keep DC. As said before, this assumes he isn’t offered Florida, USC, and LSU directly. If he is offered any of those- he should take it. I’m not gonna put VT or Washington in that category.

Mel Tucker goes to LSU and Nard-dog from Pitt goes to MSU (hopefully before ACC CG). Michigan State is definitely gonna pull back/slow play that $95 mm extension after game this past weekend and have to imagine Tucker leaves

James Franklin negotiates massive extension to stay at Penn State

Miami gives Manny Diaz another year (Cristobal stays at Oregon until this opens up- Oregon would be a fit for DC)

Florida hires Lane Kiffin (not worried about DC going to Ole Miss or any other job that would be open after coach leaving for UF other than Oregon and Penn State).

USC hires someone not currently at P5 job - ie Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bill O’Brien, etc.

Brian Kelly stays at Notre Dame.

Non-P5 coach takes VT and Washington.

Clawson isnt leaving this year. Have any of you also gotten the call for $$ to go towards making sure we keep him locked in? I sure have. Currie is on it and from the inside feel confident Clawson is here not only this year but ongoing for a good while. We will have the 2nd best football facilities in the ACC and Clawson is already toward the top end in the ACC in terms of what he makes and we seem to be working on throwing more at a contract for him. Clawson leaving this year is not something I have any real concerns about.

Weird fact but Mullen and Hemphill both went to the same non-descript DIII college in Pennsylvania (Ursinus which I actually know a little bit about...and it's not great). So I put their coaching acumen at the same level: nil.

Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, and 8-4 the previous three seasons and made 3 consecutive NY6 bowls.

He turned Kyle Trask into a second round pick.

The issue is that he did that with McElwain’s players and isn’t reloading the talent.

He just needs somebody else that can recruit.

Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, and 8-4 the previous three seasons and made 3 consecutive NY6 bowls.

He turned Kyle Trask into a second round pick.

The issue is that he did that with McElwain’s players and isn’t reloading the talent.

He just needs somebody else that can recruit.

Ok, so I put their recruiting acumen at the same level: nil.

If DC moves on - ironically Mullen would be a good fit for us.

If DC moves on - ironically Mullen would be a good fit for us.

If I were Mullen, I would take the Saban Internship route but at Georgia. He has a lake house near Athens. Let Florida pay you the $12MM.

I will also say that all the short leashes this year on coaches having a bad year after some decent ones should reinforce the desire to stay at a place like WF. But that’s just me.

Yeah a pretty normal question to ask when interviewing for a normal person job is how did this position come open (i.e., if it's not a new position what happened to the last guy)? If the answer is "the last person in the role won most of their games, but we weren't happy with how many games we won this year so we fired him" then that's concerning if you have a cushy gig and value that security.

Penn State would worry me the most because they could at least say they were pleased with the trajectory of the program, like their foundation, etc. but the last guy went to pursue another opportunity (assuming Franklin leaves).

That's a really long way of saying I'm more worried about Clawson replacing someone who leaves as opposed to someone who is fired.

Well - it wouldn’t take him 8 years at Florida to start winning 9-10 games- maybe 2 or 3 but I see your point. You can have 1 mulligan year tops at job like that and then you need to get 9-10 games in year 2. I consider Mullen to be similar to Dave- from Northeast, ran an unconventional offense at a harder job and got some success, never really was recruiting 4/5 star guys and clearly wasn’t up to task of doing that and hence why he imploded at Florida.

Dave should take it if offered - it’s one of the top 5 jobs in the country and would wish him well. But given what they’re looking for - don’t think he would likely be one of their top 3 candidates and with a job like that - the top 1 or 2 candidates are going to take it.
Why should he take it if offered. This hierarchy in college football has been destroyed by the portal. It's been one cycle. You can have a football team with zero high school entrants. The question is where are the ten Florida players going that enter the portal.

Dave Clawson at Florida seems like a square peg in a round hole.

In 2017, Florida fired Jim McIlwaine in the middle of his third season as Gator coach. As a frame of reference, Florida dumped McIlwaine after the Gators won the SEC East and played in the SECCG in both of McIlwaine's first two years.

Yesterday, Florida fired Mullen after Florida played in the SECCG last year. Not only, did Florida play in the SEC CG last year, but they pushed Bama like no other team in 2020. Bama beat Florida 52-46 to win the SEC title (no one else, including UGA came within 17 of Bama last year), and some people claim that 2020 Bama was the best team ever.

FWIW, here was Florida's season ending rank in the 3 previous years under Mullen: #6, #7, #12 (Florida was a top 10 team in 2020, but 1/4 of the roster opted out of their bowl game, and the Gators lost to OU). Both McIlwaine and Mullen were considered rising stars before they took the Florida job. Now, McIlwaine is coaching in the MAC (C. Michigan) and Mullen is at best tainted, and at worst toxic. Given that record, why would Clawson want to put himself through of aggravation of looming coaching change rumors if your team ever has a bad stretch of games, regardless of how well you did before that?

Agree that UF is not a Top 5 job... But it's definitely a Top 10 job.

Clawson will not get hired at Florida. They'll go with a proven recruiter. My biggest concern (as a UF fan) is that I have no idea who that person is.

Going to be such an interesting few weeks as USC LSU UF VT Washington all try to fill their vacancies ASAP.

Yeah a pretty normal question to ask when interviewing for a normal person job is how did this position come open (i.e., if it's not a new position what happened to the last guy)? If the answer is "the last person in the role won most of their games, but we weren't happy with how many games we won this year so we fired him" then that's concerning if you have a cushy gig and value that security.

Penn State would worry me the most because they could at least say they were pleased with the trajectory of the program, like their foundation, etc. but the last guy went to pursue another opportunity (assuming Franklin leaves).

That's a really long way of saying I'm more worried about Clawson replacing someone who leaves as opposed to someone who is fired.

I really don't see him taking an SEC job after experiencing the whole Tennessee debacle. I'm sure he and Currie have spoken about that over a beer a time or two.

The top 3 talent-rich states are Texas, California, and Florida. UF is flagship state university in the best conference in the country. They’ve won 3 national titles last 25 years. Only program with more is Alabama.

The Athletic published a good article in September about the top jobs in College Football... Polled 100 people working in the sport (ADs, Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Recruiting Coordinators, Analysts, and Staffers).

https://theathletic.com/2827321/2021/09/15/what-are-the-top-5-jobs-in-college-football-we-polled-over-100-coaches-and-staffers-to-find-out/

Here's the list... I separated them into tiers based on the points they were allocated (total votes)

Alabama - 406 (98)

Ohio State - 308 (97)

Georgia - 224 (72)

Texas - 164 (55)
LSU - 159 (49)
USC - 151 (64)

Clemson - 129 (46)

Oklahoma - 64 (28)
Notre Dame - 48 (23)
Florida - 32 (20)

Michigan - 20 (9)
Texas A&M - 12 (6)

Sounding more and more like Franklin will be staying put at Penn State. I think he will sign a huge extension in the near future. If I had to make predictions on the open jobs right now I would go with...

USC - Fickell
LSU - Aranda (?)
UF - Napier
VT - Charles Huff

Back