• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Damn. Short leash. i think he is one of their own too.

What I've picked up, at least from the folks with Auburn flairs on the CFB subreddit, is that Harsin is loyal to a fault and the loyalty to his staff is catching a lot of shit right now. They don't seem to think that he would ever make this move on his own and that it was a call made by the AD to be a shot across the bow.

Reminds me of Clawson firing the defensive coordinator, who is now the DC at Wyoming.

Last edited:
4-0 Wyoming. Good for them.

GA Southern fired their coach after they lost to Louisiana at home on Saturday. They were 1-3.

Kind of an abrupt move considering that GA Southern had been to a bowl each of the last 3 years. They were 10-3 in 2018, 7-6 in 2019 and 8-5 last year. Overall he was 28-21 at GA Southern. The CB coach, Kevin Whitley is the interim HC.

So far, three coaches have been canned:

UCONN
USC
GA Southern

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32287565/georgia-southern-eagles-coach-chad-lunsford-fired-1-3-start

With how deep their pockets are, I have no doubt that Clawson would get USC back to being a perennial PAC-12 power that's competing for national championships. With that said, I don't think they'd be willing to stomach a couple of 3 win seasons while Clawson program builds. I hope that Clawson's experience at TN left a big enough impression on him about the lack of leeway you get at some of these schools.

The programs that actually scare me operate in the space where they can outbid us, but are also willing to give Clawson the time he needs to program build. If Clawson leaves Wake I don't think it'll be for USC or to replace Harbaugh or whatever. It'll be to go to some school like Cal or Stanford - places that can cut huge checks and are ok with sucking for a few years while Clawson does his thing.

Agreed on Stanford. That seems like the perfect fit for him if he leaves Wake.

With how deep their pockets are, I have no doubt that Clawson would get USC back to being a perennial PAC-12 power that's competing for national championships. With that said, I don't think they'd be willing to stomach a couple of 3 win seasons while Clawson program builds. I hope that Clawson's experience at TN left a big enough impression on him about the lack of leeway you get at some of these schools.

The programs that actually scare me operate in the space where they can outbid us, but are also willing to give Clawson the time he needs to program build. If Clawson leaves Wake I don't think it'll be for USC or to replace Harbaugh or whatever. It'll be to go to some school like Cal or Stanford - places that can cut huge checks and are ok with sucking for a few years while Clawson does his thing.

This could get really interesting that way if Clawson gets a conference title but not an invite to the CFP this season.

I don't see it happening, but if Clawson gets Wake another ACC championship this year, I will wish him the best wherever he chooses to go. I would obviously want him to stay, but shit man, if he does that, more power to him.

I don't see it happening, but if Clawson gets Wake another ACC championship this year, I will wish him the best wherever he chooses to go. I would obviously want him to stay, but shit man, if he does that, more power to him.

Oh I'm right there with you. Winning the ACC is probably what you need to do at a school like Wake to get hired at a blue blood and not have their fans revolt. If some school comes around offering him $5 million/year or more and we can't/don't want to match then I would never fault Clawson for getting his bag.

Hell, Kentucky and Miss St are paying Stoops and Leach like $5 million/year. Bronco and Lane Kiffin are getting like $4 million/year.

Hard to tell what Clawson's actual total comp is like comparatively since those guys are public employees, but we will need to ante up bigly at some point. If TCU can figure out how to pay Gary Patterson $6 million per year, then we should be able to figure out how to pay Clawson at least as much as Bronco Mendenhall or Narduzzi.

This. But Currie will be able to shake plenty of loose change to make him a good counteroffer.

This. But Currie will be able to shake plenty of loose change to make him a good counteroffer.

After the Grobe experience I think you’re almost always better off to take the buyout money and hire a young hungry coach to build on the success. There are like 10 programs where winning the bidding war for retention makes sense.

I agree with this. I get the sense that Dave and his family are content but that he would leave for the right opportunity. I've always thought he was too talented and ambitious to finish his career at Wake. I love the guy but won't fault him a bit if he gets a great chance to move on and takes it.

Isn't the state income tax in California at Clawson's income level something like 15 percent? Any little advantage I'll take

I don't know about y'all, but I took Clawson at his word when he took this job.

Back