• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I assume Tom Herman is off the table for LSU? they wanted him bad a few years ago.

Sounding more and more like Franklin will be staying put at Penn State. I think he will sign a huge extension in the near future. If I had to make predictions on the open jobs right now I would go with...

USC - Fickell
LSU - Aranda (?)
UF - Napier
VT - Charles Huff

Yeah, reading it's likely Napier for UF and Huff for VT.

Seems like UF will have it locked down before USC & LSU figure things out.

No idea about USC or LSU.

Sounding more and more like Franklin will be staying put at Penn State. I think he will sign a huge extension in the near future. If I had to make predictions on the open jobs right now I would go with...

USC - Fickell
LSU - Aranda (?)
UF - Napier
VT - Charles Huff

Fickell is going to want to coach team through end of the year (which is looking more and more like CFP so that’s early January). Only job that would allow him to do that is likely USC as the USC AD hired him at Cincy. It will either be Fickell or someone not currently coaching at P5 level in my opinion.

I think Napier or the Lane train at Florida.

I think Mel Tucker is their first choice but iAranada does make sense at LSU as they’re gonna want to “get band back together” with best pieces from 2019 team.

One name that hasn’t been mentioned is Matt Rhule. If he wants to get back to college - likely not gonna be another year for a while where 3 of the top 10 jobs are open on one cycle.

What jobs are ahead of it?

I think UF is a top 5 job as the only other current modern day teams (last 25-30 years) that have multiple titles would be Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and LSU.

The gators just demand success and will barely give a coach a mulligan much less 2. 4 coaches in the last 12 years (Zook, Muschamp, McElwain, & now Mullen).

It's gonna be funny (and sad) when BC beats us on Saturday and Hawley becomes more of a hot coaching candidate than Clawson.

It's gonna be funny (and sad) when BC beats us on Saturday and Hawley becomes more of a hot coaching candidate than Clawson.

Hah! Win or lose- I think he is definitely more interested in moving up food chain at big boys than DC. And he’s only 42.

man between this and hedging your ACC bet on the Deacs, you're bringing some bad #vibez

I want to see Kiffin go to Florida simply for the reason of him pissing off yet another SEC fan base. I want him to keep hopping until he has hit at least half the conference.

Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, LSU for starters

Georgia and LSU are debatable but no way on Michigan, Notre Dame just on the standpoint of recruiting footprint and tougher academic standards alone. OU obviously can cross into Texas and recruit but they’re about to be in same division as LSU, Bama, A&M, Auburn, and Texas and OU has won one national title in last 35 years and Florida has won 3. Florida really only has to deal with Georgia every year and they can get to Atlanta. Clemson has been on fire last 7 years but can they sustain that success? They had been mediocre at best for 25-30 years before that.

man between this and hedging your ACC bet on the Deacs, you're bringing some bad #vibez

My bad. Not my intention. Definitely want the Deacs to win this week... It just doesn't feel like a slam dunk. And I really thought we were going to beat up on Clemson... Oops.

seems like the "better coaching job" stuff is a gigantic mental masturbation exercise depending on who the current coach is

Florida looked like a top 5 job - and Georgia did not - when Spurrier was at UF, and again when Urban was there

OSU was not a Top 5 job when Earl Bruce was there going 9-3 every year, followed by John Cooper winning the Michigan game and bowl game in the same year once over 12 years

seems like the right coach can get the best recruits to Gainesville and win the SEC East more often than not

Last edited:
It makes zero sense to me how even decent coaches can fail so badly at schools like Florida and Texas. I mean, you literally grow 5 star recruits in your backyard. The talent alone should get you to the New Years six.

UF is clearly a great job. Anyone that is offered it that is not at maybe 10 schools would be crazy not to give it a hard look.

It makes zero sense to me how even decent coaches can fail so badly at schools like Florida and Texas. I mean, you literally grow 5 star recruits in your backyard. The talent alone should get you to the New Years six.

Again, Mullen’s first three years all ended in NY6 bowls. But it wasn’t enough after this year.

1. I think the Star system is so over-stated in recruiting - especially for the skill positions. It’s an ESPN/SEC hype machine that’s gonna over-sell the quality of talent at bigger programs every time.

2. I think the second reason is that success at a “lesser” program doesn’t necessarily translate into success at larger program with more resources and “talent.” Look at how many guys haven’t panned out at that big time job from a “inferior” job over last 10-15 years. Rich Rod, Brady Hoke, Mullen, McIlwain, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, Butch Jones, Chad Morris, Justin Fuente, etc. Scott Frost, Josh Heupel, Harbaugh will soon be added to this list in next few years.

The only guys who have been successful making that jump (talking 10-15 top jobs) are James Franklin and Brian Kelly in last 10-15 years. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that most of the top coaches today not named Nick Saban were P5 assistants at a top job before becoming a head coach- Dabo, Kirby Smart, Jimbo, Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, etc. it’s just such a different ballgame and pressure cooker when you are a top 10-15 job.

1. I think the Star system is so over-stated in recruiting - especially for the skill positions. It’s an ESPN/SEC hype machine that’s gonna over-sell the quality of talent at bigger programs every time.

2. I think the second reason is that success at a “lesser” program doesn’t necessarily translate into success at larger program with more resources and “talent.” Look at how many guys haven’t panned out at that big time job from a “inferior” job over last 10-15 years. Rich Rod, Brady Hoke, Mullen, McIlwain, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, Butch Jones, Chad Morris, Justin Fuente, etc. Scott Frost, Josh Heupel, Harbaugh will soon be added to this list in next few years.

The only guys who have been successful making that jump (talking 10-15 top jobs) are James Franklin and Brian Kelly in last 10-15 years. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that most of the top coaches today not named Nick Saban were P5 assistants at a top job before becoming a head coach- Dabo, Kirby Smart, Jimbo, Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, etc. it’s just such a different ballgame and pressure cooker when you are a top 10-15 job.

Clawson has shown how overrated it is for skill position players, as have many others. It feels like just as many QBs come from G5 programs and P5 programs. Running routes and throwing can be coached up. For the other positions, I do think a lot of it is measuring your size and speed for your size which actually does make a difference.

Back